Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
vangelis salamandras
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
which one can be considered the "best" version of Agricola?
(i have an offer for a used one, and i am not sure whether to buy this, a one from the store, or wait for the new one)..

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31260/agricola/versions?...

(Apologies if this has been answered before)

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
How will your marriage grow today?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many seem to really like the new one from Mayfair. It has fewer cards, but they've been updated and are more evenly balanced.

I have the z-man second edition, with animeeples. It's great, and well worth the $35 I paid for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I either have the 1st or 2nd edition with the thicker chunkier fences which I prefer to the thin fences in the later editions (the newer ones are similar to the fences in Acb&s). Other than that I'm not sure because I have the goodies expansion which replaced the cube animals and disk resources, but I think the newer versions come with animeeples, so they are probably better simply for that reason.
If you're talking about decks, I would recommend the gamer's deck, world championship deck, and French decks, plus EIK, which I assume still come with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
fasolia wrote:
Hi all,
which one can be considered the "best" version of Agricola?
(i have an offer for a used one, and i am not sure whether to buy this, a one from the store, or wait for the new one)..

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31260/agricola/versions?...

(Apologies if this has been answered before)

thanks!

You cannot go wrong by picking up a used copy of the original game (regardless of which "edition" it is), and especially if you can get it for, say, $35US or less. The new, revised edition has its own charms, including a full set of meeples,* a redesigned playing board that functions identically to the original, and a much-improved rule set. Is it "better" than the original? Not really. Is it worse? No, not really, although I am quite happy to have the much larger selection of original Occupations and Minor Improvements.

*The only downside is the skinnier fences (a tad more difficult to handle for clumsy fingers) and the various shaped resources are more difficult to stack handily (really, though, a minor complaint).

So, which to buy? That's easy: both, within the limitations of your budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vangelis salamandras
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the version that i am thiniking is the one with 350(?) cards, custom insert, fully sleeved etc... but the cost is 70 euros! (in Greece). its a lot of money, thats why i posted the question - don't want to buy the "wrong" verson with such money.
thank you all for your replies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
350+ cards fully sleeved is nice, but still! 70 euros for a used copy? What price would a new copy fetch? If money's tight, and it's likely the game will only get casual play, you can get by just fine on the new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vangelis salamandras
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the new (?) one is between 58 euros - 70 euros

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:

If you're talking about decks, I would recommend the gamer's deck, world championship deck...

Recommended, yes, but not so easy to acquire. Unless, of course, your willing to pay the exorbitant prices being asked for those decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vangelis salamandras
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do these decks offer "more" to the game? e.g. replaybility, thematic, difficulty etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fasolia wrote:
Do these decks offer "more" to the game? e.g. replaybility, thematic, difficulty etc?

replaybility, replaybility, replaybility, replaybility, replaybility
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I advise trying to get a hand on the original version with the bigger card count. We've been playing Agricola for ten years and it's gained all of the popularity that it has with those very same cards so I don't see that the few changes they made to tweak the balance of the cards outweighs the fact that the new version comes with a fraction of the cards.
Get the full, original version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also worth bearing in mind is that eventually the bulk of the cards issued so far are going to be reissued, presumably in conformity with the new art design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vangelis salamandras
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these included in the base box/game, or their are sold extra/seperate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards from the revamped edition are, if I'm not mistaken, soon to be (or already are) available for separate purchase. The original 340+ card set from the original will be eventually released separately. Eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmb
The very first one from Zev that you had to pre-order with him at BGG.Con as we got it printed in English that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone got an idea what's this "hobby edition" thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Has anyone got an idea what's this "hobby edition" thing?

There's supposedly a "Collector's Edition" or "Anniversary Edition" or something like that coming up. Mayfair has indicated it won't be out in 2017, so maybe it'll come out in 2018.

It's likely to include premium components, and over 1,000 Cards between Occupation and Minor Improvement Cards. Uwe has noted in an open letter than many of them have been rebalanced to make them more even. And recently, Mayfair noted that it won't be released in 2017 as they're redoing the art for every card.

Assuming all of the above is true, it's not going to be cheap. But it'll be wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WooHoo1 wrote:
Many seem to really like the new one from Mayfair. It has fewer cards, but they've been updated and are more evenly balanced.

I have the z-man second edition, with animeeples. It's great, and well worth the $35 I paid for it.

Everone says this new version has more balance cards. I dont see it. I have only played once, so maybe I should give it more time, but it looked more unbalanced than before. My hand was clogged with a bunch of cards that help me when doing poorly... get a wood or food or something when I have the fewest family members... That seems like a very weak card. I dont want cards that help me lose less badly.
While my opponent had this ridiculous card that let her turn sheep into vegetables. In round 4, she was able to take the 4 sheep spot without a place to put them, keep one, and turn the other 3 into vegetables. Never had to worry about food for the rest of the game. It basically gave her a vegetable accumulation action space. That is as broken as anything from the original version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.