$20.00
$30.00
$15.00
$5.00
john greeb
msg tools
Both these are epic Amerithrash games with an app that handles the "Dungeon Master" role so they can be played purely cooperatively.

It seems that Descent is the epitome of a dungeon crawl (like the videogame Diablo). Much more focused on combat and less on exploration.

MoM2 is focused more on exploration & mystery with some combat. There appears to be more of a narrative and the themes are different.

Based on this information, I'm leaning more toward MoM2. However, the same thing that draws me toward MoM2 (more of a narrative & mystery) is also my biggest concern which is replayability.

Assume the price of the base sets was the same and you plan on using the apps to play cooperatively at lower player counts (1-3), which would you recommend and why? I know each one has expansions out or coming out soon but please limit your response to the base game with the associated app.

thanks-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mansion of Madness only has 4 stories right now, so even with the limited randomization you will get maybe half a dozen play throughs for each story. That being said the last couple stories are fairly long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good, but I think it depends which theme and style of play appeals to you more.

Descent (with the app) does have a very 'dungeon crawl' feel. As you open doors, the dungeon gets explored and more things happen. It has a tutorial campaign (4 missions) and a full length campaign (8? missions per play through, 20? total). Your characters level up between adventures, acquire new gear, etc.

Mansions of Madness is more 'contained' in that there isn't an ongoing campaign, although some of the included scenarios are supposed to take a very long time (3-5 hours or something).

If you're planning on going deep in to one game, Descent is probably a better choice. There's tons and tons of content for Descent, all of which adds variety to the app and game. There will assuredly be more campaigns released for the app as well.

Mansions is newer, so it (understandably) doesn't have as much content at this moment. They currently announced two more content packs (repacks of the 1E materials + new scenarios).

In the end, I think it depends more on which theme appeals to you. Both are very well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent plays more like a Skirmish game. There's very little story. MoM's almost the opposite. MoM doesn't have character advancement, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.