$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Hegemonic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you tech up based on a card you just drew from your advanced tech? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you can "tech up" using the tier of a card you just discarded to make room for a new one, can you also do it based on a card you just drew from your advanced tech as the first step of the phase?

Intuitively it seems like you should be able to, but I don't want to count on intuition

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Although intuitively you would think so, unfortunately the way I interpret the rules says, "No, you can't".

Here's why:

Per pages 4 and 8 of the rulebook (which it seems you are very familiar with), I draw the following conclusion:

- A Technology card serves dual purposes: (Pg 4)
-- Either it's simply a Technology card, waiting to be played only for its Power Value during a conflict.
-- Or it serves as a Technology waiting to be advanced to an "Advanced Technology" state.

My interpretation is that it's either one or the other. It can't serve as both.

Page 8 is clear that when a player Advances a Technology, a Technology card is placed in one of the three Advanced Technology slots. It's also clear that when room needs to be made for a new Advanced Technology, that an advanced technology already in place may be discarded to make room. It stands to reason that, in its discarded state, a Technology Card can no longer serve as an Advanced Technology.

The same conclusion described above can be used to answer your question. If during Step C of the Phase 2, you were to draw one of your active Advanced Technologies so to return it to your hand (reverting it back to a Technology Card), then that can reasonably be interpreted as removing that Technology from your Advanced Technology slot (i.e., the same effect as discarding it)!

And thusly since it is no longer considered one of your Advanced Technologies, then it also no longer satisfies the requirements for a minimum technology tier level.

So consider your action carefully, before you decide to draw your Technology Card from one of your Advanced Slots!

That's my take, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.