14 Posts

Blood Rage» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can players engage in single 1 on 1 battles during the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake M
Canada
flag msg tools
I see no mention of fighting other player's warriors during the game in the rules and it would seem silly to not have the ability to fight each other while all standing idle together in a village.

Also one question regarding summoning of creatures. When the creature upgrade card is played, does the creature immediately appear on the board or does the cost simply make it enter your side of the board where it can be played the turn after?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murdoch
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
The players only battle each other when there is a village to pillage. If the village is gone they cannot battle anymore, unless they move on to another province with an unpillaged village.

When playing a Monster, Leader, or Warrior upgrade you may also Invade with that figure for free on the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake M
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info!

Though does it not seem rly strange that if all villages on the board are pillaged, all warriors are simply standing around unable to do anything? They are Vikings would they not simply wipe each other out? Seems like questionable design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Battles occur during the "Pillage" phase, they could be 1-1 but it depends on how many players join the battle.

Also, there is no "your side of the board". For a Monster upgrade you may immediately invade for free with it right after; same for a throop upgrade if you have it in your reserve.

I recommend watching the great "How to Play" video by Watch it Played for a quick and easy to follow but detailed introduction to the gameplay: https://youtu.be/EkvmTFUGiyQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake M
Canada
flag msg tools
Thnx!

I have seen the video though those rules were unclear. By "my side of the board" i simply meant that the creature goes from being neutral to being in your recruitment roster then maybe play on next turn since only 1 action can be performed per turn.

For the pillaging it just seems mighty bizzare that when everything on the board is pillaged and enemy soldiers are all standing together with your warriors in a village that u pillaged previously, nothing can be done... it's essentially just standing around wasting turns until the next age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vengeance1138 wrote:
Thanks for the info!

Though does it not seem rly strange that if all villages on the board are pillaged, all warriors are simply standing around unable to do anything? They are Vikings would they not simply wipe each other out? Seems like questionable design.

Games always have to balance theme for gameplay. Apparently it was decided that you can only fight if there is something to pillage, and I think it works great as it is. There is more to the game than battle, and if there was no "safe" place to stand, it would change the game and probably unbalance it quite a bit.
Or, one could argue that in this viking world, the code of ethics forbids random slaughter, and you should only fight if there is treasure to be gained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
When every village is pillaged, the age ends (no matter how much rage everyone has left). I missed this rule when I was just starting too, but it is very important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmb
Vengeance1138 wrote:
Thnx!

I have seen the video though those rules were unclear. By "my side of the board" i simply meant that the creature goes from being neutral to being in your recruitment roster then maybe play on next turn since only 1 action can be performed per turn.

For the pillaging it just seems mighty bizzare that when everything on the board is pillaged and enemy soldiers are all standing together with your warriors in a village that u pillaged previously, nothing can be done... it's essentially just standing around wasting turns until the next age.

If everything is pillaged on the board, the era ends (it doesn't matter if players still have rage points). Actually, this is a way to quickly finish an era, particularly useful if you have less rage points than your opponents.

In this game, Vikings are against free violence. They only kill if there is a purpose: Pillaging. Otherwise they stay quietly waiting for the ragagnork..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake M
Canada
flag msg tools
emodiu5 wrote:
When every village is pillaged, the age ends (no matter how much rage everyone has left). I missed this rule when I was just starting too, but it is very important.

Ahhhh this answers alot! Thnx so much, i think my next game will be quite different now lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a variant just for you, my man. Try it and let us know how it goes.

FEUD
Players may choose to take the Feud action during the Action phase.

Choose a province that has at least one of your figures in it (or in a supporting fjord) along with one or more figures of another player. It makes no difference whether the province has been Pillaged or not. It costs no Rage to Feud, but remember that you can’t take any action if you’re down to zero Rage. A Feuding action is resolved by following 3 steps in order:

1. NAME OPPONENT

When you declare a Feud in a province, you must name the clan whose figures you are targeting with your Feud. Only you and your named opponent will participate in the Feud; all other players are excluded. Neither you nor your opponent may call any additional figures to the battle; only those already present in the province are counted.

2. PLAY CARDS

Both players choose one card from their hand and hold it face down in front of them (unless they have no cards left in their hand; in that case they don’t have to put a card in). Then they both reveal their chosen card simultaneously. If you reveal a Battle card, its +STR bonus will be added to the total STR of your figures in the battle. Also, any special abilities listed on the card takes effect at this point. If, however, you reveal an Upgrade or Quest card, it adds nothing to your Strength in battle and has no effect. Both clans add together the STR of each of its involved figures, and adds the +STR bonus offered by their played Battle card (if any). This is their clan’s total STR in that battle.

3. RESOLUTION

The player with the higher STR total wins the battle! In case of a tie, both players lose. The winner of the battle (if any) must discard all cards he played and gains Glory equal to their current Axes stat as indicated on their clan sheet, while the loser takes all of their played cards back into their hands and must destroy all of their figures in the province (and adjoining fjord), placing them on the Valhalla sheet. Feuding does not change the pillaged status of the province, nor is the Pillage reward gained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would strongly recommend against adding in the ability to battle at will. Deciding when and where to pillage is a very key part of the strategy in the game and disrupting that would likely affect the game balance quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sibo
Australia
flag msg tools
emodiu5 wrote:
I would strongly recommend against adding in the ability to battle at will. Deciding when and where to pillage is a very key part of the strategy in the game and disrupting that would likely affect the game balance quite a bit.

I agree. Plus you are wasting a precious combat card if you win, on a battle that will mean little. The game is great as it is, but each to their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sibowitz wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

I agree. Plus you are wasting a precious combat card if you win, on a battle that will mean little. The game is great as it is, but each to their own.

Not just that, but this is an easy way to make other players waste a card by letting them win. Not even just combat cards, but this would make it very easy to force an opponent to lose any card in hand (be in a quest, upgrade, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Sibowitz wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

Not just that, but this is an easy way to make other players waste a card by letting them win. Not even just combat cards, but this would make it very easy to force an opponent to lose any card in hand (be in a quest, upgrade, etc.)

Especially using the Loki strategy and a few other cards.

You can force an attack and have a loss, steal a Rage with the Loki card and place a warrior in a spot you just lost at with another card I can't recall. Would just eventually force the other player out of rage and cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.