Ed James
England
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing on BGO.

Got the Impact of Technology card and I am confused as to how it scores.

It reads:

Each civilization scores 4 culture for each of its level III technologies (level II in Advanced game).

My situation:

In play amongst others, I have:
Einstein (+3 per Tech discovery)
Level III Civil Service .

In my hand I have:
Level II Justice System

My questions:

1. If I am playing the advanced game, does Level III tech count towards the Level II score?

2. If I discover Justice System, will it then replace Civil Service, thus scoring me 4 points from Impact of Technology plus the 3 points from Einstein?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If you play the Advanced Game, Level III cards are not used at all. So you should not have any.

2. You can't replace a Level III card by a Level II card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
England
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I am not playing the Advanced game. Thanks for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mudhoney wrote:
I guess I am not playing the Advanced game. Thanks for that.

Definitely not if you're playing on BGO, since it's not an option there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:

2. You can't replace a Level III card by a Level II card.

Just to clarify a little, you can discover the Level II Special Tech and get the points from Einstein (basically paying science and and action for some points), and then it would be immediately discarded since the corresponding Level III is already out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
England
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Advanced game does not seem very advanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mudhoney wrote:
The Advanced game does not seem very advanced

It's a misnomer. Some people take it to mean more advanced than the full game, but in reality it's only there to help people learn the full game (or if you don't have time for the full game).

In fact, didn't the new version of the game drop that terminology? I think that was only used in the original version, but there's still a few cards on BGO that accidentally carried over the language. Where did you see it referred to as the "advanced game" other than on that card?

I think the new Handbook refers to this now as "Your First Game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
England
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was just that Impact of Technology card that, as I quoted above, introduced me to the "Advanced" game concept. I have no familiarity with the original edition, which explains my confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charlap
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mudhoney wrote:
It was just that Impact of Technology card that, as I quoted above, introduced me to the "Advanced" game concept. I have no familiarity with the original edition, which explains my confusion.

To clarify, by "advanced game", it means one that ends after age II. It is meant as an option to have a shorter game. I don't recommend it, except possibly as a first game (or, of course, if you are tight on time and don't think you can play a full game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
mudhoney wrote:

To clarify, by "advanced game", it means one that ends after age II. It is meant as an option to have a shorter game. I don't recommend it, except possibly as a first game (or, of course, if you are tight on time and don't think you can play a full game)

And to clarify further, by "advanced game", in the context of "A New Story", it doesn't mean anything at all since they removed it (and the term) from the rule book in favor of a different (but similar) way to play your first game (I think they just changed scoring at the end of Age II).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

And to clarify further, by "advanced game", in the context of "A New Story", it doesn't mean anything at all since they removed it (and the term) from the rule book in favor of a different (but similar) way to play your first game (I think they just changed scoring at the end of Age II).

This is true. I just played my first game and the rulebook steps you through a short game than plays normal but has special endgame scoring as soon as Age III finishes.

However there is also the option for a shorter game which is different again and is explained on the back of the rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.