Subject: Laminating tiles. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ultra Magnus
United States
Granville
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm just a soldier. I can't be a leader.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this game is out of print and there are other Star Trek games out and on the horizon. But this is still the definitive Star Trek game IMHO. So I just laminated my tiles and there are some lessons to learn from my experience.

1. Scan Everything. If you are going to risk damaging your components in an effort to preserve them, scan them first. The person at the copy shop who laminated my tiles accidentally damaged 3 of them. Luckily I had scanned them all, and was able to mock up near identical tiles, which they printed on card stock and laminated at no charge.

2. No roller. To save time, many places will use a roll laminator, which has a roll of material so that it can laminate continuously without having to change sheets. The problem is that because of the way it laminates, everything comes out with a slight curve. After some research, I was able to put the tiles between two pieces of parchment paper, lay a dish towel over that, and use an iron on the highest non-steam setting to heat the tiles on each side, bend them into shape, heat them again, and then cool them under a heavy flat object. Now they are all nice and flat. However, asking the shop to use a standard sheet laminator with a cardboard sleeve, would have saved me the trouble.

3. Spacing. Let the copy shop know that you need space between the pieces so that they can be cut out properly.

4. Thickness. I did not specify a thickness for the lamination, so the copy shop used 3 mil, which is the thinnest available. The thickness is fine, but the remade tiles were done with 5 mil, which make them feel more like tiles. I am satisfied with the 3 mil, but I do like the 5 mil a bit better. Consider how thick you want your final product, and specify.

5. Communication. Make sure the copy shop knows that these are game components, which are expensive to replace. Ask them not to rush the job, to avoid any costly mistakes.

That's it. I am satisfied with how everything turned out, but it was a headache for a bit to fix those mistakes. LLAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good tips there but I just wondered since you went to the trouble of scanning them why you didn't get scanned copies laminated and keep the original tiles. That way if you come to sell your copy you would have the originals for people who want the game in its original condition. Ok you have the effort of printing (either print double sided or print and glue, but that's not too much effort particularly if you can do double sixed printing. Still the efffortb is behind you now so I hope that you now enjoy your more robust tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Magnus
United States
Granville
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keitharchaeologist wrote:
I just wondered since you went to the trouble of scanning them why you didn't get scanned copies laminated and keep the original tiles.

Trying to be as economical as possible. Scanning was just an insurance policy, which paid off in this instance.

I already made my own inserts, and am also replacing all of the ships with pre-paints. I never intended to keep all of the components in the original condition.

If I do sell it someday (a second edition being the only circumstance that comes to mind under which that would be a possibility), it will be an upgraded version, and I never expected to make any money by upgrading the game. I just want the game I love to be the best possible version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one thing though, the game has only recently been reprinted, so it is not out of print. as a matter of fact, I have received my reprint copy today, which I have pre-ordered 3 month ago.

but thanks for the tips. I have thought about laminating the tiles, since they are really thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much did it cost you overall to get the tiles laminated? Was this just the base game or the tiles from the Romulan and Dominion expansions as well?

I've been considering this for a while now, especially since a few are starting to fray a little on the edges from many flippings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Magnus
United States
Granville
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sputnik Monroe wrote:
How much did it cost you overall to get the tiles laminated? Was this just the base game or the tiles from the Romulan and Dominion expansions as well?

All tiles for base and both expansions. $24 at my local shop. But depending on rates, how many sheets they use, and the thickness you choose, your results may vary.

I expected it to be a bit cheaper, but it was fine at that price, for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chien
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
percepter wrote:
Sputnik Monroe wrote:

All tiles for base and both expansions. $24 at my local shop. But depending on rates, how many sheets they use, and the thickness you choose, your results may vary.

I expected it to be a bit cheaper, but it was fine at that price, for me.

FYI. I actually went through the lamination process on my set and did it myself using a Scotch lamination machine and 3 mil sleeves. Overall cost is doable for about $35 USD from Amazon.

All the other points noted by percepter are appropriate when you DIY as well. I ended up messing up one of my tiles, but I was luckily able to correct it by re-laminating it with another sleeve; the 3 mil on 3 mil didn't feel too dramatically different on that problematic tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

keitharchaeologist wrote:
That way if you come to sell your copy you would have the originals for people who want the game in its original condition.

"Sell?!"

Sell your copy of Fleet Captains! What sort of blasphemy is this?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.