Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Below are some large-format thematic scenarios I’ve been working on and playtesting for a bit, and hope to package into a pdf soon. Some of these are older, and have been updated with enhancements and corrections based on some playtesting and rule checks, and others are newer. Most scenarios use Ancient Ones that don’t necessarily have a scenario for them in other places, so hopefully they are fresh. The first couple pages are introductory notes for setting up each scenario and some basic guidelines to the way to create the monster cups and gate stacks. These of course are all optional, and anything can be changed to suit your game.

Eventually I’d like to pull these all together and add to them, but I also wanted to throw out the option for folks to add their own scenarios if they are feeling creative. Strange Eons is a wonderful tool for scenario creation and is super-easy to use – give it a try at: http://cgjennings.ca/eons/index.html

The rules of thumb I used:
1. Use only components from the base game and expansions – no new ancient ones, heralds, institutions, guardians, tokens, boards etc. are required, and nothing need be printed other than the scenario itself.
2. Scenarios should leverage the base game rules as much as possible.
3. New mechanics can be introduced for special effects, but limit to a maximum of 1 new mechanic or effect per scenario
4. Capitalize on the theme of the Ancient One and/or Investigator team as much as possible to create a story structure that feels cohesive and self-contained.
5. Augment effects introduced by the Ancient One, herald, guardian or institution in play.

I hope some other folks try their hands at creating new thematic scenarios. Arkham is so modular, and there’s room for lots of new ideas, mixing and matching – try it!

In the meantime, have fun with these. I’m happy to hear feedback, both good and bad - let me know your thoughts.

• [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great. Are you able to post the .eon files?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thematic Scenarios without special cards, boards or tokens.

Thanks a lot for your effort, it will be played the next time I play Arkham (next month for sure).

Looking forward for a Joe Diamond scenario. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, all, thank you so much, I am stunned. blush

I'll bundle these up (including .eon files) into a zip file and attach them in the files section. Also will add a pdf so everything is in one file and will post the link once things are approved.

There's so many other scenarios to brew up -- Joe Diamond will be front and center on one of them Fabio!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bannister
Australia
Yackandandah
Victoria
flag msg tools
absolutely brilliant ! Thanks for the time and effort you put into these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark -- they were a lot of fun, hope you enjoy them and let us know how they go!

The pdf version is now in the files section. Will add the .eon files now that the base page is up:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136757/arkham-horror-them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two new scenarios just going into testing. I'll go ahead and post here in case other folks want to give feedback -- these are tough! I'll be tweaking these based on our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
Could you please make some that can be used with the base game only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorgur wrote:

There are some good scenarios that are already out for the base game. Tibs' introductory scenarios are a great way to get started. You can find them here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/69008/introductory-and-ex...

I may circle back at some point and revisit the base game, but I wanted to get some Ancient Ones out that don't see as much play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
Wolfpack48 wrote:
sorgur wrote:

There are some good scenarios that are already out for the base game. Tibs' introductory scenarios are a great way to get started. You can find them here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/69008/introductory-and-ex...

I may circle back at some point and revisit the base game Mythos, but I wanted to get some Ancient Ones out that don't see as much play.

What a fast reply! Losing my Sanity here...
Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, was able to test both these new scenarios this week and made a few adjustments. I lost both, but they were more to do with horrific Mythos draws than anything else.

Dust to Dust (I used Norman, Harvey, Agnes and Silas)
- Added Mythos card deck ratios
- Added Miskatonic dual expansion cards for location and gate decks.

I found a very specific spell weakness for the Warlocks in Dust to Dust, but I'll leave it to guess which spells prove very effective. Quachil came through due to 6 doom being added over 3 Mythos (rift opened on turn 3 and move on the symbol twice)

God of the Labyrinth (I used Joe, Diana, George and Finn)
- Added Mythos card deck ratios
- Added Miskatonic dual expansion cards for location and gate decks, but only Dunwich and Kingsport, not Black Goat of the Woods
- Decreased the return to Arkham check to Will (-1)
- Will (-1) check only needs to be made when returning from the right other world area. Felt that encounters that return you to Arkham, or Find Gate spells should work normally.
- Made Silver Twilight or One a Thousand Membership on defeat of a Cultist optional at the cost of 1 clue.

Lots of Cultists on the board, many, many corruptions and one devouring due to brood. Eihort came through to number of gates -- too many LITAS and delays in the other worlds.

Here are the updates:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more tweak to god of the Labyrinth; the language is pretty tricky for the Maze of Worlds:

Whenever an investigator uses movement to return to Arkham from the right Other World area, make a Will (-1) check.

I think this language precludes spell or encounter returns, but let me know if this could be stated more simply/clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe "second" instead of "right"? I don't remember what they are called in the rulebook, but "right" made me wonder if there is a "wrong" OW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfpack48 wrote:
One more tweak to god of the Labyrinth; the language is pretty tricky for the Maze of Worlds:

Whenever an investigator uses movement to return to Arkham from the right Other World area, make a Will (-1) check.

I think this language precludes spell or encounter returns, but let me know if this could be stated more simply/clearly.

Great, thanks for the Joe Diamond Scenario. And, as a bonus, an Ancient One that I never played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hugolefou wrote:
Maybe "second" instead of "right"? I don't remember what they are called in the rulebook, but "right" made me wonder if there is a "wrong" OW.

Good suggestion. I have been torn whether to use first/second to designate the areas in the other world or left/right. The rulebook actually uses both, so maybe I should do the same:

Quote:
If an investigator is in an Other World at the beginning of the Movement Phase, they receive no movement points. Instead, their movement depends on whether they are in the first (left) or second (right) area of the Other World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.