Subject: Icon Grab rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sébastien Thibault
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

I have an obstacle with Blue/Colorless x 4/Blue to beat.

Can I beat it with 3 Icon Grabs?

Will the first Icon Grab I play generate another color (per the Icon Grab ability) or not?

I ask because I read on this forum that you should consider the damage like it was in a pool... (with no particular order)

So, will it be Icon Grab (green with no bonus color) +
Icon Grab (green + blue)+
Icon Grab (green + blue)
unable to beat it

Or Icon Grab x3 (green + 3 x color I choose (blue, red or black)

or beat it?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Poulsen
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in seeing other people's thoughts on this, because my initial thought was that you'd be unable to beat it, but upon reading the text:

*Damage: If you played another HACKING card anytime this turn, ICON GRAB also deals + (black, blue, or red) DAMAGE.

"Played" is past tense, but does that conflict with "anytime"? My vote will be that you defeat the obstacle, but that's partly because I love Icon Grab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
While all of the damage is pooled, you still have to choose which cards were played in which order. So, if all you are playing is three Icon Grabs, then the first one (whichever one you choose to be first) would only generate a green. All of the following ones would get the extra color damage as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules, page 23, section CARD EXPLANATIONS -> HACKING states:
Quote:
Icon Grab: The ability to add damage of an additional color checks what cards you have played during the damage step. As long as you played another Hacking card during your turn, either before or after Icon Grab, you will get the extra damage.

So timing is not the question.

But I have another question: can I use one hacking card for more than one Icon Grab cards during turn?

So each Icon Grab gives 1 green and 2 for other Icon Grab cards = 9?
Or I can use first Icon Grab for the second one, then second one for third one and then third one for the first one = 6?

Or even by the term "Another hacking card" they meant NOT THE ICON GRAB at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mizerak.

Quote:
"Played" is past tense, but does that conflict with "anytime"?

No, it is essentially saying anytime in the past, as opposed to something like "the card you played immediately before this one".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And holy crap am I wrong! They spell it out in the rule book.

Quote:
Icon Grab: The ability to add damage of an additional color checks what cards you have played during the damage step. As long as you played another Hacking card during your turn, either before or after Icon Grab, you will get the extra damage.

Handy how they do that, huh? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Poulsen
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
Rules, page 23, section CARD EXPLANATIONS -> HACKING states:
Quote:

So timing is not the question.

But I have another question: can I use one hacking card for more than one Icon Grab cards during turn?

So each Icon Grab gives 1 green and 2 for other Icon Grab cards = 9?
Or I can use first Icon Grab for the second one, then second one for third one and then third one for the first one = 6?

Or even by the term "Another hacking card" they meant NOT THE ICON GRAB at all?

Excellent! I didn't have the rulebook, but I'm glad there is clarification.

But the total damage should be 6, unless I'm mistaken. Each Icon Grab can produce a maximum of 1 green and 1 other damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:

Just yesterday I realized, that hacker is super powerful role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG!

Translation of this card in my russian version states "for EACH another hacking card add damage of any color".

Goddamn russian translators!

So I played this card wrong all this time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Does a 19 work for ya?
badge
Not Pictured: minikeg of black powder strapped to its back
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
I agree with Mizerak.

Quote:
"Played" is past tense, but does that conflict with "anytime"?

No, it is essentially saying anytime in the past, as opposed to something like "the card you played immediately before this one".

It doesn't conflict. You play all cards in the Play Cards phase, and then apply damage in the Apply Damage phase. So cards that you played after the first Icon Grab were still played before you calculate damage for that first Icon Grab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I was wrong too. Apologies if I misled anyone...if it is any consolation, I misled myself too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
OMG!

Translation of this card in my russian version states "for EACH another hacking card add damage of any color".

Wow. With that text, the card goes from one of the best in the game, to THE BEST. Absolutely broken...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Cant
England
London
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
davro33 wrote:

Just yesterday I realized, that hacker is super powerful role.

Absolutely! Though it is an expensive role to play.

No_Frets wrote:
Uncivil wrote:
OMG!

Wow. With that text, the card goes from one of the best in the game, to THE BEST. Absolutely broken...

It certainly is an exceptional card for only two nuyen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like there's a consensus, but just thought I'd chime in too. The rules seem pretty clear to me that there are separate stages for playing cards and then assigning damage. So it seems reasonable that each of the three icon grab cards would generate the extra damage associated with the card text, since you assess the status of everything at the end of the card playing phase. At the end of the card playing phase you have played (past tense) at least 2 hacking cards, so each icon grab takes advantage of the card text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.