A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: First game: any common overlooked rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jerry baker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
playing 6 player game for the first time with group. everybody has watched the ff tutorial video

any commonly overlooked rules??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Eddy
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
This is based on memory, so this is more a recommendation to double check these rules before playing.

Everything to do with ports. Such as your opponent taking over ships in port when they take the territory, what ships in port can do as an action, etc...

Also I believe seige towers can't retreat.

Make sure everyone knows how the * orders work and how many they can use each turn.

The game ends immediately upon capturing their 7th castle, not at the end of a round if they have 7 or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frode Hanøy
Norway
flag msg tools
I can almost guarantee that there is something you are going to overlook/do incorrectly the first time. Heck, I have done some things wrong for a long time during our earlier playing sessions, before noticing in the rule book that it was wrong

For example:
- All the house cards from all players are visible at all times, even during combat phase. Meaning you can always ask him/check what cards he has at his disposal. (of course the card the attacker and defender select for combat are hidden)
- Ports can support combats in the adjacent sea area (as long as you control the ports connected land area), but not support combat in the connected land area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben Dijkstra
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I made a player sheet with explanation of the order tokens.
Nice to print and add to the game

Search for this name
Illustrated Player sheet. Order tokens and unit str and muster.
or look at the recent posted files, it's one of the most recent uploaded files at Game of thrones second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar doubt about overlooking rules around my first play, and felt the need to make this summary: Interactive Beginner's Reference

It includes every rule I could find. There's an on-screen version and a 'printable' version (uses less ink).

We also have an Italian translation... let me know if anybody out there would like to translate to another language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOuQWxqOEJkcXduNT...

I made that. If the game hasn't been out in a while it's an ideal reminder. Heavily stripped down to fit on one page. Mainly the rules we played wrong at the start or simply forgot.

Once one already knows how to play the game or when some of the issues come up, the short caption is enough to makes perfect sense to clarify the issue.

A few other things worth checking too, like counter/unit totals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one rule we overlooked for the longest was... We were seeing if we won or lost combat before leaving a power token in the area we marched from. If we won we'd leave a power token, if lost retreat back, no need to establish control, saving a power token.

Establishing control of the area you've marched from must be done before combat is initiated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
Establishing control of the area you've marched from must be done before combat is initiated.

Small correction: you can't start a combat without moving units and you can't put a PT without leaving an area.
The exact order is:
1. Move all units (some of them initiate combat).
2. Leave poer token.
3. Resolve combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what i'm saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
That's what i'm saying.

I know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.