Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification When Casting Shriveling Spell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I played through a session of "Shattered Bonds" last night. At one point I attacked a monster that was in my space with a shriveling spell. I successfully cast the spell and damaged the monster. When I flipped the spell to the back of the spell card, the card stated that I could also cause 3 damage to another monster in my space or adjacent to my space.

If there are no other monsters adjacent to me or in my space, could I then add that damage to the one monster in my space which I originally damaged with the spell?

I wasn't able to find anything in the forums or rules on this.

I guess the same goes with any ability or action that allows an investigator to perform something for "another investigator within range" if there is no other investigator. Would the investigator be able to perform that action on themselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules with me, but I would say no. The trigger is "another monster" or "another investigator." If there's not another of those, there is nothing to trigger that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
No and no.

"Another monster" means "some other monster than the one you attacked".

"Another investigator" means "someone other than yourself". When they mean for something to be for you or another investigator they use the term "an investigator in your space".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you can't do the whole effect, you do as much as you can. Thus, in the example provided, unfortunately, the extra damage is ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.