Subject: Is there a must have expansion for Star Realms? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I caved in and I ordered Star Realms and I was curious whether there was any expansion that added more meat to the game and fans consider to be a "must-have". thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I caved in and I ordered Star Realms and I was curious whether there was any expansion that added more meat to the game and fans consider to be a "must-have". thanks!

They're all good. If I could only pick one, I would say Bases & Battleships makes Yellow as good a color as the rest; it's a tiny bit weak in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of it!!!!

Otherwise, here's my take on the expansions

Gambits (and Cosmic Gambits): Add a bit of extra strategy to the early game with a new mechanic, giving players asymmetric starting powers. Really makes the early game different.
Heroes (Crisis): Minimal impact as they are small, one-time use cards the provide a small bonus.
Bases & Battleships (Crisis): More ships and bases, just for more variety.
Fleets & Fortresses (Crisis): More ships and bases, just for more variety.
Events (Crisis): This is there to throw in completely random events that will impact all players. Makes things much more random and hard to plan for.
Year 1 Promos (not on sale as a set yet, but soon): Very strong cards that shift the strategy of the game quite a bit.
Colony Wars: The 2nd base set. It's more of the same stuff, but some re balancing and completely new card set. If you are ever looking for more than 2 player games, get this rather than a 2nd set of Star Realms.

United is on the way soon, which has 2 packs of more ships/bases, 1 pack of more/stronger heroes and one pack of missions, which is a new win condition mechanic. I haven't gotten to try any of these yet.

Overall, I'd suggest playing the base game a lot and deciding what you do/don't like about it. If balance is an issue, F&F/B&B/CW is a way to go. If you want more randomness, try events. Different start conditions, try Gambits. Heroes is such a small change that just get it when you are just looking for something just a bit different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too late, but I would have said to buy Colony Wars instead of the base game. Colony Wars isn't on the app yet, so you'd be on more equal footing for an in-person game. Anyone who plays a lot on the app is going to have a pretty big advantage in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel like there is a "must have" set, though I fell like my favorites are either the base game Year 1 Promos and Bases & Battleships combo or Colony Wars by itself (haven't played it with other sets yet). Up to you about what you want from the game. My takes on the expansions are:

Gambits: Add more start of game strategy. Even after hundreds of online games, I still see players making plays I did not expect. Unfortunately, it comes at the expense of balance.

Year 1 Promos (not yet available as a mass market pack): Adds lots of end game finishers and boosts the power of base oriented strategies.

Bases and Battleships: Finishes making base rush a viable strategy. Adds some fun toys for the early and mid game.

Fleets and Fortresses: Advanced mode. All the cards are good, but have significant downsides. Most cards seem over powered at first glance, but when you start playing with them, they disappoint you.

Events: Add random bonuses to your game. No two games will play the same but occasionally the game will decide the winner for you.

Heroes: Inoffensive and under powered. It isn't going to really affect much, but does not have as much of an impact as other sets.

Colony Wars: Star Realms Second Edition. The designers have learned from the mistakes of the past and made a much better game with slightly different balance points. The overpowered things have been nerfed and mechanics that did not work well have been deemphasised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me gambits and heroes really make the game my favorite game. Usually you just buy something and tell your opponent how much damage you do, which is not a problem since it makes it a fast game but with these expansions you just get a bit more decisions and it makes it perfect for me.

At the same time I hate events, they add nothing to the game other than random things that either don't matter, or win the game for someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything that's not Crisis: Events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.