United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 14 games have made the top5 list in the last decade:

In top 5 since Jan 2007(in order of appearance on the list):
1. Puerto Rico (2007 – 2015) (#1 for 3years)
2. Tigris and Euphrates (2007-2009)
3. Caylus (2007 – 2008)
4. Power Grid (2007 – 2012)
5. El Grande (2007)
6. BattleLore (2007)
7. Twilight Struggle ( 2007 – 2016) (#1 for 5 years)
8. Agricola (2008 – 2015) (#1 for 2 years)
9. Through the Ages: A story of civilization (and new story) (2009 – 2016)
10. Eclipse (2012 – 2013)
11. Android: Netrunner (2013 – 2014)
12. Terra Mystica (2014 - 2016)
13. Caverna (2015 – 2016)
14. Pandemic Legacy (2015 – 2016) (#1 for 1 year)

Ranking of these 14 games based on position in the top 5 this past decade:
1. Twilight Struggle ( 2007 – 2016) (#1 for 5 years)
2. Puerto Rico (2007 – 2015) (#1 for 3years)
3. Agricola (2008 – 2015) (#1 for 2 years)
4. Pandemic Legacy (2015 – 2016) (#1 for 1 year)
5. Through the Ages: A story of civilization (and new story) (2009 – 2016)
6. Power Grid (2007 – 2012)
7. Terra Mystica (2014 - 2016)
8. Eclipse (2012 – 2013)
9. Android: Netrunner (2013 – 2014)
10. Caverna (2015 – 2016)
12. Tigris and Euphrates (2007-2009)
12. Caylus (2007 – 2008)
13. El Grande (2007)
14. BattleLore (2007)

The games that I think deserve being on this list, but never made the top5 are:
Seasons
Five Tribes
Stone Age
Viticulture

How about you?? Which games do you feel should have made this elite list?

Also, if you enjoy historical board game rankings, you should really subscribe to this excellent post (which was the source of the 14 games above): https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23601473#23601473
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would add

Keyflower
Voyages of marco polo
And possibly
La granja

Top ten....
Village
Kraftwagen
Hansa Teutonica
Five tribes

But the really tough question would be what they replace that is already in the list as there are some great games there.

I would remove battlelore (it is good though).
After that....struggling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer (BGG Blog) TheBrewingGamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a really great ranking! All of those games are great for different reasons. I wouldn't hesitate to play any of the games on that list.

Some of my personal favorites - not sure if they are Top 5 material or not - are:
Suburbia
Carson City
Glass Road
Kemet

In my opinion, the weakest on that list is definitely BattleLore (even if you consider the 2nd ed.) - while the most under-appreciated is probably El Grande!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenrowlands2 wrote:
I would add

Keyflower

I've heard only great things - can't wait to get my hands on a copy one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Lago Vista
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dungeon Lords
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer a simple Like or Dislike and determined by popularity instead of a 10 point scale. So the highest on the list would be the game with the most likes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeTDG wrote:
I wonder if Viticulture has a chance to get there, I think it will make steady headway the next 12 months up the charts.

I would need more plays, but there's a certain random factor and maybe possible player count issues which make me pause in thinking it is a Top 5 game. It might be Top 30 for me personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
I would prefer a simple Like or Dislike and determined by popularity instead of a 10 point scale. So the highest on the list would be the game with the most likes.

There are innumerable reasons why this is a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlelore, Caverna, and Pandemic Legacy are three I would remove from a Top 5. The original Battlelore wouldn't crack the Top 100 if it were released these days. The number of games is much different than it was in 2006.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Only 14 games have made the "Top 5" list in the last decade. Which games do you feel belong in this elite list?

Before this question can be answered, you need to clarify what you mean by "belong". If by "belong", you mean that these are the 14 most popular and well regarded games, then absolutely. If by "belong", you meant that these games are objectively the best 14 games - better than any of the other thousands of games that have been published - then I suspect some folks might disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly wouldn't be opposed to something like this:

Mage Knight
El Grande
Through the Ages(New)
Tigris and Euphrates
Twilight Struggle
Android: Netrunner
Agricola
Power Grid
Caylus

You can likely talk me into a number of configurations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add Pogs which doesn't get enough love and is definitely a top 5 game. It also has the most lonely forum thread on BGG where it is just me so maybe somebody soon will contribute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add?

Pete (thinks fewer games should have gotten up there)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture will never make it near there imo. It'll be stopped by the 20s at best but imo it'll halt at 50 ish.

Anyway I think it's a fine list. Nothing in particular id add or take away, I think on a general level it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
I would add Pogs which doesn't get enough love and is definitely a top 5 game. It also has the most lonely forum thread on BGG where it is just me so maybe somebody soon will contribute.

Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious, for the people suggesting answers to the question as well as the OP, do you believe that the rankings on this site reflect anything more than the aggregate opinions of its users? In particular I'm not sure by what qualifications I'd add a game to a list of 'the games which have historically been most popular on this site.' Or maybe there's some other pattern to these games that I'm not seeing.

But I do notice that most people aren't just adding all of their top games as I first suspected. I know for my part that my taste isn't sufficiently universal that I have no expectations that any of my favorite games will be in the top 100 (though some currently are) or none of my bottom games will be there (again, there are currently a few).

And don't get the wrong idea, I'm not trying to pooh-pooh this thread. I'd like to participate, I just don't really get how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:
I'm curious, for the people suggesting answers to the question as well as the OP, do you believe that the rankings on this site reflect anything more than the aggregate opinions of its users?

They do. But that's not necessarily useless. BGG as an aggregate is probably pretty good as a guide to "the best games liked by heavy eurogamers".

On the other hand, this list should be thrown in the face of the next person that claims that the BGG community represents all hobby board gamers rather than a subset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those of you kicking out Battlelore haven't played enough Battlelore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dominant Species
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

I have - buh bye Battlebore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that list is pretty accurate within the confines of the rules governing how they make the list. Even the games I have issue with (Battlelore) belong there. They had their day in the sun. If something better comes along and beats it out, then it will be gone. Until then, personal opinions aside, it deserves to be there.

Caverna was number 1 for 3 years...how can anyone deny it's place? It's become trendy to dump on Caverna of late, not sure why. It's a great game by any standard and my favorite Uwe game, even over Agricola. It's personal opinion, but it still says a lot.

There are many good suggestions in this thread, but many of them just don't have the staying power that the current list has/had. Viticulture just isn't as widley played as other games on the list. it's not a question of "is the game better" as there are more factors to that list than simply "is it a good game?" However, being on that list defines it as a good and popular game regardless of personal opinions to the contrary.

The only game I'm genuinely surprised by not being on the list is Stone Age. Like the others, this game has enjoyed a long and loyal following among a lot of people. It's like Love Letter - it just never goes away no matter how old it is.

Regardless, interesting thread. Any "top X" list will always bring about controversy and debate as ever one has their own criteria for what belongs on a given list - even when that criteria seems like a solid formula. We may not agree on what belongs on the list, but it's all good games. No Monopoly, Candy Land, or Sorry up there. They are all good games that earned a spot on that list. Even Battlelore as much as I may personally disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
jblomquist wrote:
I'm curious, for the people suggesting answers to the question as well as the OP, do you believe that the rankings on this site reflect anything more than the aggregate opinions of its users?

They do. But that's not necessarily useless. BGG as an aggregate is probably pretty good as a guide to "the best games liked by heavy eurogamers".

Oh yeah, I definitely wouldn't say it's useless, just that it doesn't actually represent anything even close to objective. And as someone who self identifies as a medium-heavy to heavy eurogamer, I feel like this site really mostly appeals to the medium eurogamer crowd. Certainly at least nine of the 14 games are decidedly euros, but maybe less than half of those nine are even close to heavy (probably only one really is). I know I'm splitting hairs here, but I think that's the kind of thing we're supposed to do on a site like this.

Abiezer Coppe wrote:
On the other hand, this list should be thrown in the face of the next person that claims that the BGG community represents all hobby board gamers rather than a subset.

I think most people are aware that all groups aren't equal here, it's just a question of who's the top dog. From what I can tell it's historically been pretty solidly eurogamers, and probably in that medium range. But recent trends (at least from my perspective) appear to be shifting toward lighter euros and Ameritrash. Just look at what's on the hotness on any given day. Of course, everyone needs to find some metric to be able to show that they're in the minority in terms of the taste of the site, since everyone loves an underdog. And I think the only thing we can all agree on is that its tough to be a wargamer here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

I can't see anything above rating it an 8. I really don't see it in the league of a Top 5 game. So yeah, it is a really solid game, but I just don't think it transcends into that high of a ranking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
Caverna was number 1 for 3 years...how can anyone deny it's place? It's become trendy to dump on Caverna of late, not sure why. It's a great game by any standard and my favorite Uwe game, even over Agricola. It's personal opinion, but it still says a lot.

Caverna was never #1. Here's the issue with Caverna. It has the exact same setup for each player count. If you are always playing the same player count, replay is limited. It is weak as a 2-player game. Oh, and the game was fundamentally broken until a infinite loop situation got overruled. It is another case of a very good game, but I just don't see it as being in the Top 5. I have it just inside of my Top 20. Now, if Uwe ever kicked out an expansion which offered replayability, then I can see it rising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna is known universally as the worst Uwe game. Not sure what planet you are from, but for everyone else, it's terrible! Not even in the top 5000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.