Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
keith romstad
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the raxxon zombies, in my opinion, need alternate art! The Freddy Krueger look-a-like is just terrible I think, as it simply doesn't work to have just a few silly looking zombies with way oversized hands and giant claws obviously alluding to some pop reference icon. I dunno it might just be me but the tank is kind of silly art as well... I know they are mutant zombies but 3/4 of them look amazing and the other bit just look... out of place I suppose. I guess I just wish that they all had that gritty art that the rest of dead of winter has and not some silly cartoonish reference art.

I'm sure it works for some if not most (or maybe I'm the only one) but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for alternate art and how to apply it to the raxxon standees?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, taste is subjective and I think they look awesome. Dead of Winter is a serious game, but it intentionally does not take itself too seriously.

I mean, look at those book titles?

Art is fine, good job Plaid Hat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Campbell
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, the whole Raxxon bit is a disappointment for me. I prefer my zombies to be more Walking Dead / World War Z (the book, not the abomination of a film it got turned into), and this reminds me more of Resident Evil.

Resident Evil Fans matter, though, and I don't begrudge them their part of the expansion. I'm quite happy with the rest. It's a pity to not use the monkey, though, and King of the North. Perhaps if I sleeve my cards, I'll re-do Raxxon as a less fantasy military base sort of thing by removing the more sci fi cards, and replacing them with the grenade launchers (which feel a bit out of place for what I imagine to be a rural police station), and other more normal duplicate stuff from the other decks.

My notion of variant zombies (had I the artistic skills to make them...or the time to convert up enough miniatures to replace all the standees...might be zombies who died wearing body armor, (roll 4+ to kill), or crawlers (legs blown off), perhaps giving a sneak attack, or noisemakers...zombies somehow entangled in rubbish which add noise tokens to their location each turn?

I'd be curious if anyone else has the inkling or ideas on how to bring Raxxon more into line with Romero/Walking Dead/WWZ (the book) sorts of "lower fantasy" zombies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith romstad
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely agree that taste in art is subjective and I definitely am subjecting those few bits of art to some constructive criticism. I have half a mind to draw some mock-ups and attempt to fine tune them to fit with the rest myself... then attach them to the old standees somehow...

You know what, I've been wanting a reason to break out the old drawing book and pencils, this seems like a good enough reason.... I've never been any good at color though... ah well we'll see how it goes. Sorry I am obviously having an inside conversation, out loud, here... heh anyways...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.