United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a week of hell. It's almost over thank goodness. Let me explain.

It's actually been a hard year. I lost my sister and father at the beginning of the year. Then a few months ago we lost our much loved dog Shasta. I won't go into to much detail on Shasta as I posted about her when she passed away. Suffice to say her loss was the exclamation point on a very bad time.

After a while my wife and I decided we wanted to get another dog. We still had two. Our 5 year old named Willow and a 1 year old named Cosmo aka The Manic Little Man. We felt it would do Cosmo well to have a buddy. Another dog close to his age. So we contacted the breeder we got both Willow and Cosmo from. They are both Shelties and we wanted another Sheltie. So we got ourselves on their waiting list but it was looking like they would not have any new puppies until spring 2017.

Then my wife found a dog on petfinders. This dog.

This is Hobbes. Actually his name was Joey as the rescue person called him but we now call him Hobbes. Hobbes is a rescue dog who was taken in along with his brother by the Kansas City Labrador Retriever Rescue Group. Yeah he was rescued by the Labrador folks but he's a Sheltie. So my wife and I contact them and made arrangements last week to meet and see Hobbes. I met the lady at a Burger King. I instantly fell in love with the little guy (He's cuter in person than in the photo. He may be the cutest Sheltie I have ever seen made more cute by his size. At 12 weeks he is only 4 pounds. He's at the bottom of the scale for Shelties at his age). The problem was it was Wednesday and my wife and I wouldn't be able to pay for the adoption fee until Friday. So I told the lady to hold him and I would pick him up on Friday. She told me I could simply write her a check which would take a few days to clear. I said yes and took Hobbes home.

That likely saved Hobbes' life.

So we bring Hobbes home. The lady also sent me home with a sheet of his medical records. This would prove important. The next day I took Hobbes to the vet for a complete check up including his de-worming and shots. Now according to the medical records given me by the rescue folks Hobbes had been vaccinated 3 times. Twice in July and then 5 days before I got him. My vet goes "Trust but verify". It's one thing to say he had his shots but as my vet said half the time they actually don't so we were going to do all his shots as if he hadn't had anything just to be safe.

The weekend was full of the normal new puppy routine. We set the play pen up. Got him his name tag and set the house up for the normal 2 weeks of puppy turmoil. We'd done this twice before in the last five years with our other two dogs and felt we were ready. We weren't.

The phone call came on Monday. The puppy Hobbes and his brother were caged with has Parvo. The clock had started.

Here's Parvo 101. Parvo is a very very deadly dog disease. Untreated the death rate is 90%. Treatment is expensive however. In general it involves a vet hospital stay and runs around $2,000. Treated the survival rate is around 80%. The virus spreads with ease and can stay alive in the ground for up to 7 years. Dogs with the disease can be extremely contagious for 3 or 4 days before showing signs of the disease. Once exposed Parvo takes anywhere from 3 to 10 days to show signs. Over the last 5 days I have become an authority on Parvo.

So here's the timeline. Our puppy Hobbes was at the rescue volunteers home where a new puppy came in on Monday. Wednesday I adopted him. Sunday the other puppy became ill. That meant two things. First is that the earliest the sick puppy could have been contagious was Wednesday which was the last day he was with Hobbles. That also makes Wednesday the day the clock starts for Hobbes. If he is infected he will begin showing signs as soon as 3 days or as late as 10. Today (Friday) by the way is day 9.

The good news is this. First the other dog may not have been contagious when he was with Hobbes. Likely that dog became infected right before he was brought in. That sounds good but Parvo spreads easy. So that's not something to count on to much.

Secondly Hobbes was vaccinated. That however is not as comforting as one would think (I did my research). First while Hobbes supposedly was vaccinated twice (on 7/14 and 7/31) we don't know for sure. As my vet says about half the time when people bring pets into a rescue and they say the dog is vaccinated they actually aren't. As an example when our forst dog Shasta was rescued the person who dropped her off told them she had been vaccinated and who the vet was. The rescue people checked. The vet had never heard of the dog or the person who dropped her off.

I know he was vaccinated on the Saturday before I adopted him but likely he would not have built up much of a resistance in that short a time. Even if he was vaccinated if he still had antibodies in his system from his mother the shots would not have produced any antibodies in his system. That's why puppies get a series of shots every 3 weeks over a period of time. One shot is good enough but you don't know when their system is free of their mother's antibodies so you just keep vaccinating the dog until you reach the point where you know there can't be any antibodies left from mom which is about 20 weeks.

So that has been my week. Watching a puppy. Falling more and more for this adorable little guy while watching him to see if he starts to get sick with a deadly disease. Today is day 9. Tomorrow we should be clear.

• [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damned. That's a tough time, to be sure. We've experienced the same in the past.
This dog, Hobbes, is a great thing in times of stress and mourning, no question. The dog was saved, makes you feel good. It will have a great home and friends. This alone makes a person(s) feel good.
More power too you and soldier on.
Best regards,
Gary Selkirk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some seriously powerful thoughts and prayers coming your way. Had my own puppy scare this summer, no fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Fingers crossed for that little critter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish Hobbes and his new family the best of luck.

I've been working on a picture rich dog thread for months. Maybe I'll finish it over the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Our own Hobbes (r) and brother Gibson (l) are rooting for your little guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Secrest
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you for taking on this little guy. If not for your actions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 10 and he's feeling fine. In fact he tried to drag the dog bed up the stairs. He weighs 4 pounds but he thought he was He-man. He also stole a dog treat from our 27 pound 1 year old. Took it right out of his mouth. So he's still feeling good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb

Buster Pawsey says, "Thank you for adopting."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As this winds to an end my wife can finally start to relax. She's been so afraid of him getting sick. He'll sneeze and she goes "Oh god, he's throwing up".

I think the biggest threat to the little dude now is our older dogs playing with him. They weigh close to 30 pounds each and they love playing with the puppy. They were outside and the two adult dogs were chasing the puppy. The puppy stopped and the big dogs couldn't. They ran him over driving him into the mud. At one point they were both chasing him inside. He's so tiny he can go places they can't. They lost him. They were running all over the living room looking for him and he was in the kitchen getting a drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love dogs.

I hate it when dogs are/maybe ill.

All the best to Hobbes - and your family
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.