The Others» Forums » General

Subject: DON'T BACK ANOTHER CMON KICKSTARTER PRE-SELL EVER AGAIN! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Robinson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
They have proven that they cannot fulfill orders of this magnitude, with The Others. The only way to stop this, is to not pay for their production costs in advance. They need to pay to produce their games, and then take orders as intended. The purpose of kickstarter is to back new game designers and small companies, not to allow established companies to offset risk to customers instead of taking those chances themselves. The only way to change the game, is not to play at all. Don't wait to get burned like I did. Stop pledging on pre-sells for big companies like CMON altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived weeks ago and I am quite pleased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, more games for us!

devil Patience is a virtue devil

Have FAITH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived weeks ago and is still sitting in shrinkwrap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I received mine weeks ago as well, though I just saw the email about a big shipping company going bankrupt and causing some unexpected delays. That's nothing on CMON though, that's outside of their control.

Thus far they've had a good track record with me (Blood Rage is a great game), though I think the Others could've probably been condensed down quite a bit more than it is now. Still a bunch of awesome minis and decent game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish you could downvote threads on BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awwww... Did somebody not weceive his widdle pwastic toys yet...?

(I got mine a month ago, BTW. And Z:BP was a much larger KS than 7 Sins.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:
And Z:BP was a much larger KS than 7 Sins.)

And that's why The Others hasn't been touched yet. Still painting ZBP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VicVonDoom821 wrote:
They have proven that they cannot fulfill orders of this magnitude, with The Others. The only way to stop this, is to not pay for their production costs in advance. They need to pay to produce their games, and then take orders as intended. The purpose of kickstarter is to back new game designers and small companies, not to allow established companies to offset risk to customers instead of taking those chances themselves. The only way to change the game, is not to play at all. Don't wait to get burned like I did. Stop pledging on pre-sells for big companies like CMON altogether.

This must obviously be your first kickstarter. The delays are pretty standard. No need to throw a tantrum by Voting a "1" on a game you've never even touched. Your life will go on, and the sun will rise tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
No need to throw a tantrum by Voting a "1" on a game you've never even touched.

Man, this really bends my straw. Whether or not you approve of their service or delivery, it has nothing to do with how you rate the game. Please do the rest of the community a favor and rescind your 1 rating of a game you haven't played. Sheesh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VicVonDoom821 wrote:

They've fulfilled many large productions. I don't think The Others was even one of their very big ones.

Even if someone believes what you think the purpose of KS is, is it wrong to use something in another way? Why do you want to game companies to continue to roll the dice on their demand? If you don't like this delay you should've been around for Terra Mystica and similar. The company guesses on how many games they can sell and then lowballs it so they don't get stuck with useless inventory. They sell out immediately in some cases retailers selling out just on their pre-sales. Then it takes months to order another printing, get it in the queue, get it printed, and then shipped again. Is that what you want to change the game back into? Scouted and researched right, KS delivers pretty good value overall. CMoN projects specifically are generally so well run and so full of value that they give very good resale value if you don't want them.

Did you really create an account on BGG today just to post this tirade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still haven't received mine, but meh, I'm busy playing Mansions of Madness: Second Edition so it would probably have just sat in the shrink wrap...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, wish CMON could magic up some faster boats or prevent bankruptcies. Sadly, there's only so much a publisher can do!

If you back a KS, prepare to wait. And then prepare to wait longer than that. If you don't have to wait, it's a bonus. Don't want to wait for a Kickstarter backer shipment? Then don't pledge, and if you still want the game, you can buy it at retail, which — you guessed it! — also means you wait. You just wait for it to show up at stores instead of your door. The wait's about the same either way. Often a bit shorter if you pledge.

I've read this exact thread tied about every Kickstarter game I've ever pledged for, regardless of company, and it gets so very old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bradford
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why you mad, bro?

Really, though, I want this to be fleshed out a little. There's really no 'risk' to backers of a CMON project. They've always delivered. The only 'risk' is whether or not it will be delayed (it will). I understand that in today's society of 'near-instant-gratification' there are a lot of hurt feelings that the estimated delivery date was months ago, but I would like to know where, exactly, you're coming from here.

Are you angry that you haven't received your pledge yet (you will) and are using your anger to fuel a rant against 'big companies'?

Are you legitimately upset about the idealism behind Kickstarter being turned into 'risk-free' enterprises by large companies? Because the model works, and won't change. Time to face reality.

Or are you trolling?

You have an opportunity to save face here. Just come out and say that you're mad at the delay and we will all understand. CMON does need to be a little more realistic with their delivery estimates (according to them, they are working on it) and backers need to understand that when working on a product that does not yet exist, there will be delays.

This is the new face of big production gaming. As I said before, it's the reality. The only thing we, as a community, can do about it is present ourselves as a united front with carefully thought out opinions and solutions to adjust the process to be a little more accommodating, because as much as many may like to halt it altogether, it will never happen.

As far as your game goes, have FAITH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Chinkster wrote:
And Z:BP was a much larger KS than 7 Sins.)

And that's why The Others hasn't been touched yet. Still painting ZBP.

Funny. I've started painting 7 Sins. Z:BP had too many minis with all the SGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VicVonDoom821 wrote:

Did you try reaching out to CMON about your missing game? One of the guys in my gaming group backed at the highest level and received his a week or two ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are still boats on the way with shipments for U.S. backers. If you don't have the game it's probably on one of those boats. No phone call or email will make them arrive faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do back and forget. Then I get e-mails apologizing for delays for games that I'm not even watching for. Then eventually they show up, I get something I want, and I'm happy.

It's a much better model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Potter
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
VicVonDoom821 wrote:

And there are people who throw shade at smaller companies like ludicreations when they close rewards earlier so that they can deliver on time (Crisis). Can't ever please everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. S.
Spain
flag msg tools
VicVonDoom821 wrote:

Sadly, you're right. Even if the most recent news for us in the EU is not their fault, it adds on top of two not really well explained delays, lack of communication, and the assumption that we have to deal with it while they are selling even Masmorra at Gen Con. But, they know people will keep paying for it, so nothing will change. It is what it is. Meanwhile, Sirlin is shipping his game three months early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand. What's the issue? Is it frustration with delays? From a kickstarter project?

Or is there something more substantial?

I also got my Others package weeks ago. I've backed nearly all CMON projects and have never had an issue with them. I tend not to pay close attention to when things are supposed to deliver because I don't believe any kickstarter delivery dates are accurate. The board game world has very very few companies that deliver on any sort of deadline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to belittle the OP here, but what exactly is the issue? Without stating what happened or what the issue is, it is hard to side or sympathize with them.

Things everyone should know about CMoN:

The delivery date will be much later than they have projected, much, much later, add about 6 - 9 months to their suggested delivery date.

Their communication is terrible, seriously they must only have one extremely overworked person responding to emails and such. They could do much better in this area, but choose not to.

The game will be at the very least fun to play, and full of minis!

I strongly recommend that anyone new to Kickstarter, research the company they are considering backing. I did this before I backed my first CMoN campaign and knew what I was getting into. I so hate to say this, but, if you don't do the research, then the risk is all on you. If you don't have patience, thats on you too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Grumpae wrote:

The delivery date will be much later than they have projected, much, much later, add about 6 - 9 months to their suggested delivery date.

This is not an excuse. "We warned you" is not an excuse. KS temrs and conditions is not an excuse.

OP is correct, CMoN just offsets risks to customers via KS. Which shouldn't happen.

I won't ever back anything CMoN related. All my experience with the company has been from bad to worse. I can't say anything positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VicVonDoom821 wrote:
Why is it people think KS is for little companies? I mean I get that they say that, but the founders are making bank and could care less who uses it. And it's not like I went to back a tiny shitty indie game with crappy art work and maybe cardboard cut outs and saw a cmon game and backed that instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a different tack and comment on the part of your rant that isn't specific to CMON...

VicVonDoom821 wrote:
The purpose of kickstarter is to back new game designers and small companies, not to allow established companies to offset risk to customers instead of taking those chances themselves.

Man, you are like three years too late for that argument. That discussion has been had, and had, and had again. "The Sprint of KickStarter" ship sailed years ago, and it's never coming back to port.

Best to just recognize that KickStarter is no longer the thing you wish it were (and hasn't been for some time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.