Hide
11 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Advantages/disadvantages of hero setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunor Kovacs
msg tools
My friends and I are going to play the Heirs of Blood campaign for the second time. For this playthrough we bought the Lair of the Wyrm expansion.
This time I have to play OL (first try) and today the heroes told me their picks:

Jain / Wildlander
Widow Tarha / Necromancer
Reynhart / Champion
Avric / Soulspeaker

Unfortunately I have no idea how I could win the first quest against this tough group ^^

My current thoughts are:
- they need to be close together to reach their full combo potential, so splitting them up could be a good idea
- they are vulnerable to status effects

There are several questions where I need some help:
Has someone any tips and tricks against this kind of hero setup?
What are their advantages / disadvantages?
How can I stop Jain from running around the map like crazy?
Should I focus the reanimate to slow down Widow Tarha?
Which OL class(es) should I pick against them? (maybe Saboteur/Punisher?)

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mb
According to this board, none of your strats will matter once the heroes go thru the LotW side quest. Be prepared to be steamrolled after the nice dragon hand the heroes more gold and loot than they know what to do with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunor Kovacs
msg tools
Maybe I won't start any side quests ^^
Is there someone with a strategy or at least an idea? cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas Pap
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
I know it's gonna sound crazy but I would recommend a customisation to the rules. Not only for the expansion but for the whole game. To be more specific, ignore the "monsters can only attack 1 time" rule and have mosters attack just like heroes. This is going to push them a little bit and if you use cards that boost the attacks of a monster, it can attack 3 times!A fact that will probably give you a nice response to the party. As the Overlord to my party, I tried that and to be honest, this customisation doesn't give you the upper hand. It just gives you the change to respond to the combined powers of heroes and not to have your monsters beaten by heroes soooo easily. Players are not stupid, they always play together as a team.

Hope this will help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunor Kovacs
msg tools
Good idea, I will definitely consider this
But I guess, that the best way to win against them is to split'em up somehow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
mbmb
Milamber10 wrote:
I know it's gonna sound crazy but I would recommend a customisation to the rules. Not only for the expansion but for the whole game. To be more specific, ignore the "monsters can only attack 1 time" rule and have mosters attack just like heroes. This is going to push them a little bit and if you use cards that boost the attacks of a monster, it can attack 3 times!A fact that will probably give you a nice response to the party. As the Overlord to my party, I tried that and to be honest, this customisation doesn't give you the upper hand. It just gives you the change to respond to the combined powers of heroes and not to have your monsters beaten by heroes soooo easily. Players are not stupid, they always play together as a team.

Hope this will help you.

I would be very cautious about such house rule. It may not seem as much and may work for some parties. But there is huge risk with it that heroes will be massacred by never ending stream of monsters.
I have experienced many games where Fury Shadow Dragon was a game changer. If your team agrees on this house rule be prepared to remove it at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunor Kovacs
msg tools
I thought about it the last days and I don't think that I will suggest a rule customisation. I want to play with the standard rules. But anyway thanks for the advices/suggestions.

It would be very nice if someone has strategy suggestions against this hero setup, because this is my first try as OL another point of view is often very helpful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas Pap
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
I changed the "1 attack" rule because I couldn't compete with the hero party.

As for the Shadow Dragon, he can't do anything serious from distance. My party has a lot of good weapons plus many of the legendary items. And they always play as a team. Dwarf-Knight (Tank), Ashrian Disciple (Support), Tarha-Necromancer (Range/Damage) and Jain-Wildlander. They don't lose. (Plus, an overlord champion or the dragons which are the strongest creatures for the overlord CAN'T fight all heroes simultaneously).

Don't forget the biggest advantage each hero has. He can full his fatigue to move for free, so he has still his 2 actions. Spending fatigue to move is not an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
biovaix wrote:
I thought about it the last days and I don't think that I will suggest a rule customisation. I want to play with the standard rules. But anyway thanks for the advices/suggestions.

It would be very nice if someone has strategy suggestions against this hero setup, because this is my first try as OL another point of view is often very helpful

It's a bigger learning curve for the Overlord, so I'd stick with it. The biggest tip is the same as ever: you generally don't need to kill them to win - focus on blocking and preventing them from completing the objective. Use your Overlord cards in service of that, rather than just hitting them.

Know when to give up on the first encounter and don't burn your hand if it's hopeless, just start hoarding cards for the second encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Well they have 3 heroes with very poor str values. I would try to capitalize on that by stacking anything that forces a str test. WebTrap is especially good turn one, since it can basically shut down the heroes entire turn.

One thing to remember when playing OL, is that you have the least 'static' actions of any player. LT decks (btw, you definitely should be playing with a plot deck) are static, but should be chosen to match your group, but Monsters you can tailor for the group/scenario, and different cards in hand will change each turn.

This means that when it comes to determining your OL strategy, you need to think more about their weaknesses, rather than what will work combo wise on your end.

Play conservatively and don't expect any monster group to last more than a single turn if it can be attacked. Forcing heroes to move towards a monster to attack it is far better than moving into attack range to deal damage, and don't discount anti-fatigue abilities like the bargests 'howl', which can strip fatigue from the entire group and can really cripple warriors with low stamina. Just run the barghest away after so you can do it again next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunor Kovacs
msg tools
Thanks for the good advices

My progress so far: I've won 6 out of 6 campaign quests and I've lost one oit of two rumour quest ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.