Erik Hutten
Canada
Kingston
ontario
flag msg tools
Hello everyone,

I have played a couple of DOW games now and cannot for the life of me figure out how a group is supposed to win with so much random thrown into the horde of zombies. My problem lies with the number of actions one can take, specifically search and attack actions which require dice.

each player gets a certain number of action dice which are required to conduct searches (find food) and kill zombies (we will ignore the die of doom for now). Every survivor added to the group adds one action die to the pool; however, for every survivor added to a location, one zombie will be spawned, and for every two survivors at the colony, one food is needed and one zombie spawned. Which means for three survivors, three actions must be used just to prevent starvation and more zombies from being added. Now with one action die left (3 survivors means 4 dice) we must search for resources to fight the crisis, build barricades, and accomplish the main objective. Now we will add the 1/12 chance that anyone can die from moving or attacking. Any added survivors don't contribute anything other than more mouths with useless survivors attached.

Has anyone else seen how these numbers just don't work? or is there something I am just not seeing?

Erik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
1:1 seems like a losing battle yes.

This is why there are items that kill more zombies or provide more food or allow you to search more (and keep more cards). As well as adding crossroad cards that can help.

Though the game is set in a bleak winter hopeless theme, dont let it bring you down.

There is hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a) Some items or abilities can kill more than one zombie with a single (or sometimes without using any) action

b) some food cards add more than one food to the supply

c) you don't have to kill EVERY zombie in a location, just keep it from getting overrun

d) you aren't supposed to be able to accomplish everything and have a perfect game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
You have found the crux of the problem for most Dead of Winter scenarios. Now all you have to do is apply the appropriate solutions, those being whatever increases your action efficiency and reduces use of the exposure die. Use +1 searchers to double the effectiveness of an search action, or noise to prevent a wasted search. Shotguns & Lighters increase the efficiency of zombie culling, and tactical rifles even more so. Finding the Food-3 cards or having the cook greatly reduces food stress. And of course if it was easy to get to work out, the game wouldn't be very challenging, would it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you get 1 dice per player and 1 per character. In counterpart, you need one card per Crisis per player and 1/2 a Food 1/2 a zombie kill or a full zombie kill per character, which corresponds to one basic search or attack action per character. So yeah, you are supposed to arrive flush IF you resolve all Crisis cards and kill all zombies/feed all your survivors. Without any abilities or items to help out, the game economy makes you thread water the whole game.

Now, you do have additional resources:

a) 5 starting cards per player. While they often don't work for objectives, you can use those to fulfill a crisis or food requirement and keep one of the items you got from one of those searches that actually does count toward objectives.

b) Some starting morale. This allows you to fail a crisis or two, or starve a turn (or two, but really I've never seen that go well), which again leaves you some cards in hand.

c) Character or item abilities that improve on the basic economics of the game.

d) Also, lots of the Food in the item decks are Food 2 or 3, which alleviates the pressure some.

e) Noise allows you to skip completely useless cards, though they do randomly count for one extra zombie.

f) You don't need to get rid of all zombies, just enough so they don't overrun, so all these empty zombie spots are actual resources you can utilize to limit how much attacking you need to do.

With this knowledge, this tells you:

1) Outsider cards are a trap, they tend to be a way for people to carry out their personal objectives but are usually flush (Outsider 1) or detrimental (Outsider 2+) to keeping the colony afloat, and they cost you a search. This is why any player using multiple Outsider cards is probably a Betrayer.

2) The 2 cards per search characters or look at 4 then keep 1 search characters are top tier, as they break the economy in the player's favor.

3) Library: go early or never. The blueprints are useful but they are an investment, and you need more turns to maximize the reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brudz
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Burn through the Library and School looking for books. They provide extra free actions. If you are having problems keeping zombies in check get some weapons from the Police station.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hutten122 wrote:
Hello everyone,
Any added survivors don't contribute anything other than more mouths with useless survivors attached.

Every added survivor adds something, and most do come with more helpless survivors with them though. At some point, you have to stop taking in more survivors-- I'd almost always skip playing a card that comes with 2 helpless survivors.

Additionally, I think you are trying to play a zombie kill game, and this is a zombie survival game. We don't attack zombies until they are in dangering an overrun, unless we have an auto kill item attached.

Also, if you haven't figured out how to win, why are you concerned with Hardcore mode already? Learn to walk before you try to run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.