Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played X-Wing before, but I'm a big Star Wars fan. So I'm trying to decide between this and the card game (LCG). Any thoughts on which is a better game? Being this is the X-Wing forums I can guess what the vote will be. Lol.

But I'm also wondering if this is a good time to get into the game. I know some games after they have been out for quite a while, you're almost too far behind to jump into it. And both the card game and this are a few years old. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you looking for in the game? 2-player game? Playtime?

If you're looking to enter organized play, then age may be a barrier of entry. (With no experience of OP) I think X-Wing has avoided power creep relatively well, even though local meta can be running after the latest hotness.

Star Wars: Destiny is a newer card/dice game.

I'm deep into Star Wars: Imperial Assault campaign game myself. I don't play 2-player, so its skirmish mode is wasted on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i dont recommend the star wars cardgame, it plays more like poker than anything else.

xwing may require some investment given the range of ships available, but its definitely a good game if you like ship dogfights.

with imperial assault, you have a lot of game with just the base game if you like tactical miniatures games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both.

First, are you looking for a game to play casually with friends, or are you looking to play in a competitive environment like joining a local league or going to tournaments? Somewhere in between? Do you have any background in card or minis games?

While I'm a big LCG fan and have played all of them, I consider the Star Wars LCG the weakest of the LCGs, primarily due to the way decks are built using pre made sets of cards rather than with individual cards. This means a lot less creativity in deck building and it has also led to less variety and difficulty with balance at times because you can't restrict individual cards, only sets. However, these same qualities are sometimes considered to be benefits by casual players who are intimidated by the idea of making their own decks.

X-Wing is a very popular game, I expect you'll be able to find FAR more local players for this than for Star Wars LCG. I would also say it's a better game overall. The weakest point in my mind is how upgrade cards are sold packaged with models. So, you may get stuck in a position where you feel like you have to buy ships you don't want just to get a particular upgrade card you DO want, which many people find frustrating. If you're planning on having a large collection it's less important as you'll likely own most of those "other models" anyway. And, if you're only playing casually it doesn't matter at all because you can proxy the cards you don't have or simply do without them. Another thing you can do to reduce costs is pick one faction to play. For instance, I play Imperials. I have enough Rebel ships to demo the game to someone, but I don't really buy them and this helps keep costs down.

The "cool factor" is definitely MUCH higher with X-Wing too. Come on, you're flying little spaceships around shooting lasers at each other, it just looks neat on the table. The card game looks like a card game. People are much less likely to be ensnared walking by.

Is it a good time to get in? I would say it's a good time to get into X-Wing. Why not? It's got lots of ships meaning you have plenty of choices of what you want to fly - certainly better than joining in back at the beginning with only a couple of ships. Star Wars LCG I know less about the current meta so I'll leave that to someone else to answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I've played both.

First, are you looking for a game to play casually with friends, or are you looking to play in a competitive environment like joining a local league or going to tournaments? Somewhere in between? Do you have any background in card or minis games?

While I'm a big LCG fan and have played all of them, I consider the Star Wars LCG the weakest of the LCGs, primarily due to the way decks are built using pre made sets of cards rather than with individual cards. This means a lot less creativity in deck building and it has also led to less variety and difficulty with balance at times because you can't restrict individual cards, only sets. However, these same qualities are sometimes considered to be benefits by casual players who are intimidated by the idea of making their own decks.

X-Wing is a very popular game, I expect you'll be able to find FAR more local players for this than for Star Wars LCG. I would also say it's a better game overall. The weakest point in my mind is how upgrade cards are sold packaged with models. So, you may get stuck in a position where you feel like you have to buy ships you don't want just to get a particular upgrade card you DO want, which many people find frustrating. If you're planning on having a large collection it's less important as you'll likely own most of those "other models" anyway. And, if you're only playing casually it doesn't matter at all because you can proxy the cards you don't have or simply do without them. Another thing you can do to reduce costs is pick one faction to play. For instance, I play Imperials. I have enough Rebel ships to demo the game to someone, but I don't really buy them and this helps keep costs down.

The "cool factor" is definitely MUCH higher with X-Wing too. Come on, you're flying little spaceships around shooting lasers at each other, it just looks neat on the table. The card game looks like a card game. People are much less likely to be ensnared walking by.

Is it a good time to get in? I would say it's a good time to get into X-Wing. Why not? It's got lots of ships meaning you have plenty of choices of what you want to fly - certainly better than joining in back at the beginning with only a couple of ships. Star Wars LCG I know less about the current meta so I'll leave that to someone else to answer.

I appreciate the thoughts! Yeah I've played MTG and several LCGS like Netrunner and AGOT 2.0. So I'm not new to them. I am just looking for casual play though. So X-Wing might be right up my alley. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was just going to say that coolstuffinc.com has a nice sale going on through monday sep. 5th on x-wing. Lots of great prices on ships, and you can pick the force awakens core set up for just $15.99...which is an absolute steal of a deal!
They provide free shipping if you spend $100+ as well.
This would be a good time to jump into this game if you can afford it before monday .

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2834
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.