Subject: Work action / assigning crew members rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so this is a rule that I've long wondered about and would like a definitive answer.

When you start a job are you required to assign specific crew members to that job, along with the gear they will use for that job?

Once they are assigned are they stuck on that job until it ends?

If you start a second job while the first is underway, are you unable to use any crew / gear assigned to the first job?

Do you only need to pay crew members that were assigned to a successful job?

I have always played it that you can use whatever crew are available on your ship when you start / finish a job (for skill checks, etc). If you start subsequent jobs then your whole crew is still available to "work" that job as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dante2010xxx wrote:
OK, so this is a rule that I've long wondered about and would like a definitive answer.

When you start a job are you required to assign specific crew members to that job, along with the gear they will use for that job?

Once they are assigned are they stuck on that job until it ends?

If you start a second job while the first is underway, are you unable to use any crew / gear assigned to the first job?

Do you only need to pay crew members that were assigned to a successful job?

I have always played it that you can use whatever crew are available on your ship when you start / finish a job (for skill checks, etc). If you start subsequent jobs then your whole crew is still available to "work" that job as well.

Each Work Action is discrete. You only assign Crew and Gear for the duration of that Action. Once the Work Action is finished (e.g. if you botched the Job) the Crew and Gear are no longer assigned. Next time to attempt the Job you choose whatever Crew/Gear you want to assign again.

You have to pay all Crew, even the ones that did not go on the Job. If any Crew get killed while you do the Job, you don't have to pay the dead Crew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ralph is correct. The FAQs address this as well. Good to have a copy handy. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that clarification. I am still a bit unsure as to when crew become unassigned to the job. You said once the work action is finished, but when exactly is that? Is it only when you perform the final action for that job?

IE: I have a pickup and dropoff job. I start it with 4 (out of 6) of my crew. Are those 4 crew members then unavailable to be assigned to any job until such time as the drop off portion of their job is either succeeded or botched?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dante2010xxx wrote:
Thanks for that clarification. I am still a bit unsure as to when crew become unassigned to the job. You said once the work action is finished, but when exactly is that? Is it only when you perform the final action for that job?

IE: I have a pickup and dropoff job. I start it with 4 (out of 6) of my crew. Are those 4 crew members then unavailable to be assigned to any job until such time as the drop off portion of their job is either succeeded or botched?

If you have a Shipping/transport job, then it will take (at least) two seperate Work Actions (one to pick up, and a second to drop off), and you can use different crew/gear assignments for each of those two Work Actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They are locked in only for the duration of a single action.

So, you take a turn and, as one of your two Actions, you Work. You assign Crew and Gear. When that Action is over, the Crew and Gear are "released."

If you too another Work Action the next round (even repeating an attempt at the same job), you could use completely different Crew if you had them (for example, if you were at a Supply Planet and got more, of if you traded with another player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dante2010xxx wrote:

Using a Work Action to Start a Job which requires a Need (e.g. Tech) means you have to have Crew/Gear on Board that has the required number of Skill points. Similarly if you have to Misbehave to Start the Job, you need to assign Crew/Gear to do that.

Once you have done that step the Work Action is over and your Crew/Gear are no longer assigned.

When you arrive at the destination to complete the Job you assign Crew/Gear again if you have to do anything to complete the Job (e.g. check you still have the required Skill Points in your Crew for the Need, and if you have to Misbehave). Whether the Crew/Gear is the same as when you started the Job does not matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification guys. I figured that this was how the game was played, but the rules always made me think I might be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Ian, you should be able to find the FAQ Bob mentioned <here>. I believe page 2 has the relevant information you are looking for.

Here is another scenario which I hope is helpful. Let's say you reach the target location for one of your jobs. You'll need to assign gear to crew before performing any steps on the job card. You won't be able to move gear around until the work action is complete, so that also means you can't move anything around between misbehave cards either. If you complete a job objective successfully, you'll once again be able to rearrange your gear freely any time you wish. If there are more objectives to complete for the job, you can still move gear around freely up until you start a work action for the job at the next location. If you botch a job, you're work action this turn is done, and you may rearrange gear before reattempting the job on a following turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, that's great! I now have a solid understanding of how this part of the game works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johns H
msg tools
On a similar note to this, has anyone ever encountered an instance where you didn't what to automatically assign your whole crew to a job? Besides the obvious times when you can't, like if you are doing a challenge for Mr. Universe or if you have a Lawman while working an Illegal Job. But other than that I always just assign my whole team, seems to me that there is never a reason not to, since if you are going to misbehave its better to have everyone for the additional skill points and gear. So is it just me missing something obvious or is it simply better to send everyone that you can?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, with some exceptions as you've noted it's basically best to assign the whole crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mb
It may be worth it to leave a disgruntled crew member on board the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Soltaris wrote:
It may be worth it to leave a disgruntled crew member on board the ship.

There are some misbehave cards that can disgruntle crew members. I can't remember the exact wording off the top of my head, but do those misbehave cards only affect those crewmembers working the job, or all crewmembers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can medic checks only be made if the medic is currently assigned to that work action, or can the doc be brought in even if he or she was back on the ship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Per Base Rules p. 13:

"Any Gear or Crew onboard the Ship may not be used in any way while Working the Job. In the course of Working a Job, Crew may be forced to return to the Ship. Crew onboard the Ship may not be affected by the results of any Misbehave Cards or Skill Tests encountered when Working a Job."

So a Medic must be assigned to the Job to use his ability; neither does Misbehave effect someone on the ship...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an area that leads to some confusion because of the way things are worded. Game-wise, Crew is either "on the ship" (not participating) or "working the job" (participating).

Thematically, they could be off the ship and not participating, or workign the job while on the ship. Wash is a good example because as the pilot, his task on the job is to fly the ship for a getaway, or to lift stuff out of a train with a hook or whatever. Simon also might be working the job from the ship, waiting in his med bay for someone to come in all shot up.

The thematics can sometimes clash with the game effects, like why is Simon getting shot if he's sitting in the ship waiting for wounded? But it's a game, and we just have to run with the abstract.

It may be easier to think of crew as "working the job" or "not working the job" instead of saying they're "on the ship".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
TSimon also might be working the job from the ship, waiting in his med bay for someone to come in all shot up.

The thematics can sometimes clash with the game effects, like why is Simon getting shot if he's sitting in the ship waiting for wounded? But it's a game, and we just have to run with the abstract.

I don't really see Simon sitting around the med bay waiting for someone to treat. There were numerous times on the show when he was off ship helping the crew (posing as a buyer at the Canton settlement in "Jaynestown", helping deliver a baby in "Heart of Gold"). Or he's ready with his med kit for on-site treatment prior to moving the injured to the med bay (reaver fight at Mr. Universe's complex in the movie Serenity), so there is certainly the possibility of him taking damage.

But I digress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.