BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Publications » Game Related Comics

Subject: Looking for gamebook mangas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michlas Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
So...
Fighting Fantasy and other solo adventure books are awesome... And I've been wondering... Is there something like this, but as a Manga... Or as something set in a Manga universe with all what that Japanese genre gives you...

Either as a comic Manga (would be awesome) or if not then as a novel...

Best regards....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you asking for pen & paper RPGs that have anime inspired characters and artwork, or for a manga that has an RPG type story and characters?

If the latter, you might look into Record of Lodoss War. It's a classic anime/manga from years ago that features warriors, magic, dragons, etc, and it's quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek fact: Record of Lodoss War was based on a campaign the author, Ryo Mizuno was running at the time. He started publishing the rough scenarios and how they developed in japanese D&D fanzines of the time (1986), and they were so popular that he ended up novelizing what his players did during the campaign. It's considered to be the first japanese-written high fantasy novel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michlas Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Well, I'm looking for fighting fantasy like books.
That is "play your own adventure"
Small novels or comics where you read it as a standard story, bit along the way must make dessisions that will affect the path and ultimately the outcome of the story. Many of these has a simple rpg system to them allowing for combat and luck based events.

Examples of fighting fantasy include "the warlock of Firefox mountain" "forest of doom" and "city of thives"
Books like that bit in Manga is what I'm looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Cark
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an Attack on Titan Adventure book due out in February 2017. Other than knowing it is a "choose your own adventure" book I can't find much other information.

https://www.amazon.com/Attack-Titan-Adventure-Hajime-Isayama...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one similar to that as a child about a time traveler trying to obtain Miyamoto Musashi's sword, and your decisions made you jump to varios places and dates around feudal Japan. I'm not sure if it was published only in spanish or internationally, and I think there was a whole series of those at the time.

Edit: Found it! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Machine_(novel_series) (copy and paste the whole link, I tried to correct it, but the forum seems to be having trouble and it's excluding that last parenthesis from the URL)

There is a series of japanese play books named "Queen's Blade" (pretty NSFW, google with care) based on the Lost Worlds system. But that system only allows for versus battles for two players, each one using his/her own book and a character sheet, but not for adventures with branching decisions. There must surely be some kind of japanese Fighting Fantasy equivalent, as the genre was very popular everywhere in the 80s and 90s, but I don't know if any of them were translated.

You can look into the japanese PC visual novel genre, a digital adaptation of what you're looking for. Some involve a lot of decisions and multiple branching paths, while others are much more linear feel more like reading a book at your own pace (only with with lots and lots of pretty pictures and character portraits with little animations). A lot of them have been translated to english and other languages and being a very popular genre with many sub-genres in Japan, the amount of objectionable content also varies greatly from one title to another (from not-at-all in many of them, to every picture potentially getting you in trouble in others).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel

Also, there is a boardgame, Tragedy Looper, that can fit the bill of what you're asking for. It's a supernatural mystery scenario where you have to slowly deduce what to do to stop a tragedy to repeat all over again (I haven't played it, but I understant it's pretty much Time Stories' older brother, also has additional scenarios and you can make your own). May be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen's Blade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.