A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Lots of cards....deck options! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey there,

I've just picked up a set of these cards that includes everything from the core set (only 1) up to Across the Seven Kingdoms and I was wondering whether even with all these cards I still need to own 3 core sets to make a good deck?

Thanks
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A lot depends on what your ambitions are:

- Are you strictly a casual player who will play only casual games?

You're fine!

or,

- Do want to dabble in some local tournaments, or will you be playing against your brother and want to beat him?

Get a 2nd core. See "Why?" below.

or,

- Do you intend to compete at regional or national tournaments, or just really, really want to beat your brother or win at the local tourneys? Or are you a completionist?

Get a 3rd core. See "Why?" below.

Why? Why get multiple cores if one of the two latter situations fits you? Because there are some really basic, good, vital, timeless cards in the core set. And you'll want either two or three copies of them, depending on your situation.

For a further discussion of what exactly those cards are, there are several threads from last year that discusses the merits of having several cores and what cards you would want those extra cores for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I just mentioned in another post, but one of my favorite aspects of this game is the "extra life" of having a second copy of a card. And the core still has all the best characters in one place.

We typically make 40 card decks, too... we never come close to running out of cards, and the decks feel a little more controlled. And we have no more than 2 copies of each card. That way we only need 2 core sets.

That's my two cents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
To be fair its what I expected....in consideration as there is only one other player local to me and no tournaments for several hundred miles I may swell stick with the one core and just get the chapter packs as they are released...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
California
flag msg tools
Just play it and you will very soon know how many more cores you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
If you were just going to purchase two things...say one core and then something else... I'd make the second purchase a second core set.
Otherwise you will have three copies of a card from a chapter pack, but be short on something basic and fundamental, like enough Rose Roads or Kings Roads, which most decks will carry 3 copies of each.

This will all make sense once you play a few games.

And I strongly agree with HauntingQuestions post below. When you have a smaller card pool (i.e. only 2 cores) -- make 40 card decks with a 2 copy limit for each card. After experiencing the game this way, you'll understand what your next move should be based on what you want to get out of the game.

But there's no wrong way to do it. Have fun.

HauntingQuestions wrote:
Also, I just mentioned in another post, but one of my favorite aspects of this game is the "extra life" of having a second copy of a card. And the core still has all the best characters in one place.

We typically make 40 card decks, too... we never come close to running out of cards, and the decks feel a little more controlled. And we have no more than 2 copies of each card. That way we only need 2 core sets.

That's my two cents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.