United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, hyperbolic overreaction to political events and politicians is shameful.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
I agree, hyperbolic overreaction to political events and politicians is shameful.

devil

He does not see what you did there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Yep!! I am seeing and hearing this myself this cycle. I know a few IRL potential Trump voters and they don't believe all the bad things the Press reports, in part exactly because of all the extreme exaggerations that were said about conservatives in the past.

If you paint them all as devils, when the real devil shows up how to you point out this one is somehow really actually worse than the others who went before?

I keep pointing out that I supported McCain and Romney so if I am saying he is horrible that should matter. That has made some impact... but many people just don't trust just the press any longer to report anything reasonable.

BTW most don't watch Fox either. Different bias is still bias to them, which I agree with. Getting the opposite spin can help with perspective but that still isn't getting the truth directly from anybody on purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Bruni was, is, and will be an idiot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

I predict the lesson will not be learned.

I totally and completely agree with your post and this part in particular.

The lesson will not be learned because of the psychological effects of competition. When you are competing with a group you really do start to see them as your enemy and as the devil. This is typically true of almost all partisan speach. It's why I yawn at most attacks on the opposite party from the attacks on Romney to Mccain to the attacks on Obama also.

It's hard to believe that Trump is so horrible when they said the same thing about Romney and Mccain.

Likewise its hard to believe that Clinton is so horrible when all the same things are said about Obama also.

Self Reflection is rare also as when you are in the moment you really feel that this time your attacks are justified because this is the moment that the other person really is the devil... That could be a problem if the devil really comes along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Frank Bruni was, is, and will be an idiot.

Oh, I'm sure I agree with you there. He's a New York Times idiot, and those are like Idiot Monarchy. The Emperors of Idiocy.

But where is he wrong here?

The single most likely factor to explain the Republicans having nominated Trump is that more Republican primary voters voted for Trump. Bruni's reasoning doesn't strike me as sound. And he's the guy (one of them, but a leading one) who made fun of Al Gore for sounding smart. Like 2000 was the election for 9th grade class president and somehow sounding smart wasn't good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh. Which historical periods of American political competitions were not hyperbolic? I'm thinking only the middle of the Cold War, when we stuck together by necessity, but even then there was red-baiting. The Founders deeply disagreed and wrote publicly about it. They set the stage for our activity.

I don't want to look up sources now, but Washington was considered an Anglophile to the point of being traitor worthy of being tarred and feathered. The most surprising thing about this period was that Federalist and Antifederalist militias prepared firearms and artillery for the Election of 1800 to fight it out if their side did not win. That source was American Politics in the Early Republic by James Roger Sharp.

Admittedly, I can be hyperbolic as hell on here about the Right, but the next day I usually realize how I come across, and how it is normal in a historical context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now

Take a step back, change Trump to Hillary and think about what you are saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christ, this again.

If I'm as evil a liberal as claimed, why would I stop? Why should I ever stop, if it means the GOP digs itself into a deeper hole and twists itself into increasingly (and hilariously) crazy positions trying to justify it all?

Why go to all the trouble of ignoring all the Limbaugh/Savage/O'Reilly/Ingraham/Coulter/whothefuckever wankers unless it's to completely absolve the GOP from what its messaging has carefully nurtured and fostered over 30-40 years?

Party of Personal Responsibility, please go and fuck yourself. With the aforementioned free dildos.

Edit: forgot Hannity, who's now more or less shedded the fig leaf and is working openly with the Trump campaign. So I guess Sean Frigging Hannity's my fault too.

And I'll save myself the next post:

Related: Trump, GOP still fucked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
The tone of political speech has always been acerbic and taunting. What makes it different now is the "24-hour news cycle," which tends to make the problem even worse. Both sides practice it, and yes, neither side will learn from it.

einsteinidahosu wrote:
Admittedly, I can be hyperbolic as hell on here about the Right, but the next day I usually realize how I come across, and how it is normal in a historical context.

No offense, but that is one hell of a rationalization.

H. Rap Brown wrote:
If you ain't part of the solution, you part of the problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.