Hide
5 Posts

Sushi Go!» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Board Games and Baseball Review: Sushi Go rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Shanks
msg tools
One of the cutest games in my collection is the quick card drafting game, Sushi Go.

Number of players: 2-5
Type of game: Card drafting/set collection
Time: 20-30 minutes
Complexity: Low

How to play: This is an easy game to teach and flows nicely. Like most card drafting games, you are dealt the number of cards (based on the number of players that are playing). On your turn, you choose to play one card and pass your remaining cards to a player sitting next to you. Everyone flips over the card they chose at the same time. You continue in this fashion until all the cards originally were dealt have been played. You then score points based on what has been played. You play for a number of rounds that you decided.

The cards explain how the scoring works. The Maki rolls award points based on how many rolls are shown on the card and you score points for having the most Maki rolls or the second most amount of Maki rolls. For pudding, you score points if you have the most puddings and lose points if you have the least. Dumplings score based on a geometric progression on the number of dumplings you have played. Those three cards are the most confusing for scoring purposes, in my opinion.

Likes: The cards are extremely cute. The Maki Rolls provide an interesting scoring mechanic and provide for a little bit of decision making for how you want to use your Maki rolls. The use of the Wasabi to use as a multiplier for your Nigiri allows you to try to set up your turns. The Sashimi which requires you to have three of them to score any points is a high risk - high reward strategy at the beginning of the round as you don't know if there will be three of them in a given round. Because the sashimi and tempura requires your opponents to be able to collect multiple copies of the same card, you can mess with your opponents and prevent them from getting points. Despite how many people you play with in the game, because of playing the cards simultaneously, the time for the game will remain the same.

Dislikes: The pudding cards seem to be the most important cards in the game as they affect your scoring more than any of the other cards. That's my biggest complaint with the cards that are involved in the round. If a pudding shows up in your hand at the beginning of the round, you almost have to play it at the beginning. EDIT: This is incorrect. Pudding is only scored at the end of the game. Thanks to David B. below for pointing that out. All other scoring is at the end of the round. Pudding is scored at the end. This makes a big difference in how I feel about the pudding cards.

Beyond that, after the first couple of cards played in each hand, the cards that you are choosing are fairly useless to you and for scoring.

2 player variant? Like most card drafting games, it doesn't work with two players. The dummy player mechanic for card drafting just isn't very entertaining and you can just remember what is in the hand of your opponent.

Overall impressions: Some consider 7 Wonders a gateway game so they feel that Sushi Go is a gateway to a gateway game. I disagree as I really like 7 wonders. But the cards are cute, the game is easy to explain so I can't complain too much about this game. There are not very many interesting decisions in this game. With a little bit of work on my part, I can explain 7 Wonders which is a much better game, in my opinion, that allows for a lot more interesting decisions. I do think it's a good game for beginner gamers or possibly with children, though, so if you do have those in your group or family, perhaps it's better than what I'm saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree pudding is as important as you say. You can easily replace those six points if you decide to ignore pudding. Yes, if you are in last, that is a 12 point swing between you and the player in first. But if you decide at the beginning of the game you are going to ignore pudding, you can easily recover those points.

Regarding the dummy player in the 2 player variant, it seems you are missing the real point of the dummy player. The dummy player allows you another way to interfere with your opponent. You can attempt to maneuver the dummy to compete directly with your opponent but still focus on your own goal. I like the variant. But the new Sushi Go Party has a new way to play 2 players without using a dummy. I like both 2 player variants personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Shanks
msg tools
You raise good points on both ends.

It doesn't seem like I could make up the pudding points with simply ignoring it but I'll certainly be willing to try, again. By ignoring it all game, that's potentially 36 points you have to make up. I think it's possible to do it; I just know that in my gameplay of trying just that, it failed miserably.

As for the dummy player, I think I should be more clear in my writing. It failed for us personally. Even with using it to confront the opponent, we found that we still remembered what cards were out there and not. By simply knowing all the cards (save a maximum of one) that your opponent had at any given time, it seemed like a different game than how it is with more than 2 players for Amanda and I, at least. I can see how it becomes even more of an open information game (or whatever you would call it) but it just failed for us. Our couple friends that we've taught the game to really enjoy the two player variant and my parents like it somewhat.

I will have to check out Sushi Go Party - my parents adore this game and we play when they are in town which they are now. May get to try the pudding thing up there, yet, this weekend.

Thank you for your comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
36 points? This is incorrect. Pudding only scores once at the end of the game. No wonder you thought it was overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Shanks
msg tools
OH MY GOD!!!!!!

Thank you! I thought pudding rules were scored at the end of each round. That makes so much sense

Updating the review now.

Edit: Yea you can easily make up 6 points potentially 12 points. 36 is near impossible haha. Oh man. This is what happens. Thanks again for your insights. Thanks even more now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.