$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Opting out of puzzles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed B
msg tools
I'm not very good at solving puzzles and it's not why I play. Forget the philosophical debate; what would be wrong about including some sort of skill roll option or options if you're just not that into puzzles?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, it's a key part of the app. If you don't solve the puzzle, you don't progress.

If you're asking that they change the app to suit your needs, good luck with that.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AllTooHuman wrote:
I'm not very good at solving puzzles and it's not why I play. Forget the philosophical debate; what would be wrong about including some sort of skill roll option or options if you're just not that into puzzles?


Maybe something the app can offer in a future update - maybe a game setting or something?

FWIW, I've found the puzzles much less "annoying" than I thought they'd be. Some are easier than others. For me, the mechanic adds suspense to the game. Knowing you need to solve a puzzle, and do so before something bad happens (keeping this spoiler free) really ups the pressure/suspense - much more than a skill check or dice roll could IMO.

This was an area of the game that I did have reservations about. So far, I think they have their place in MoM2e and find them much easier to accept in App form than I did in MoM1e where I thought they were "gamey".

But ... if you're totally against the puzzle element, there's no way around it within the App.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, you can just brute force it and not care about how many turns you take, of course (there's only so many ways you can fit a small jigsaw puzzle, for example) but apart from that I'm afraid you're stuck.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
indy lim

Minneapolis
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AllTooHuman wrote:
I'm not very good at solving puzzles and it's not why I play. Forget the philosophical debate; what would be wrong about including some sort of skill roll option or options if you're just not that into puzzles?


Some of the more difficult puzzles are probably meant to take multiple turns to complete, which adds to the tension as you're battling enemies and such, so you'd have to simulate that somehow.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
AllTooHuman wrote:
I'm not very good at solving puzzles and it's not why I play. Forget the philosophical debate; what would be wrong about including some sort of skill roll option or options if you're just not that into puzzles?

If playing with friends I see nothing wrong with having someone who likes doing puzzle be the dedicated puzzle solver. But if solo, unfortunately you can't skip or replace the puzzles with a replacement test because it's not build into the app.

You may just have to brute force it. That said, the puzzles are fairly simple. They are not designed to require a brain wave to solve.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finding one of them pretty hard

Spoiler (click to reveal)
the matching one when you are in the bell tower in the first scenario. Have lost twice doing that one as investigators have died during the mythos phase. I have no problem with the other puzzles but that one I'm having trouble completing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Weird, I must be in the minority that wishes these puzzles were actually a tad harder. The bar-slide unlocking puzzle being the biggest culprit, those are usually 3-4 moves and you're done, and extremely obvious. The combo lock has been the toughest so far, but still quite doable.

I'd love to see more variation of puzzles, and tougher bar-slide puzzles (I guess larger area with more/slimmer bars?).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
SeanLuc wrote:
Weird, I must be in the minority that wishes these puzzles were actually a tad harder. The bar-slide unlocking puzzle being the biggest culprit, those are usually 3-4 moves and you're done, and extremely obvious. The combo lock has been the toughest so far, but still quite doable.

I'd love to see more variation of puzzles, and tougher bar-slide puzzles (I guess larger area with more/slimmer bars?).


I can't see much mileage out of making those harder. As you say, they're largely self-evident to solve anyway; increasing the difficulty of them only really increases the amount of actions it takes to solve; it doesn't alter the challenge. It can be slightly frustrating when a puzzle is obvious but time-consuming. I'm all for spending actions when I'm working to solve a puzzle, but spending them because there's no alternative but to spend them because it's 8 moves minimum is less satisfying.

For that reason I think those puzzles are not as effective as the others... on the other hand, they are relatively simple and it's good to have some simpler puzzles so everyone can contribute. So they're well placed as the most generic, basic puzzle type.

I don't think you'll see new types of puzzle until new physical expansions are released as they will require new rules documentation to explain them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
SeanLuc wrote:
Weird, I must be in the minority that wishes these puzzles were actually a tad harder. The bar-slide unlocking puzzle being the biggest culprit, those are usually 3-4 moves and you're done, and extremely obvious. The combo lock has been the toughest so far, but still quite doable.

I'd love to see more variation of puzzles, and tougher bar-slide puzzles (I guess larger area with more/slimmer bars?).


I can't see much mileage out of making those harder. As you say, they're largely self-evident to solve anyway; increasing the difficulty of them only really increases the amount of actions it takes to solve; it doesn't alter the challenge. It can be slightly frustrating when a puzzle is obvious but time-consuming. I'm all for spending actions when I'm working to solve a puzzle, but spending them because there's no alternative but to spend them because it's 8 moves minimum is less satisfying.

For that reason I think those puzzles are not as effective as the others... on the other hand, they are relatively simple and it's good to have some simpler puzzles so everyone can contribute. So they're well placed as the most generic, basic puzzle type.

I don't think you'll see new types of puzzle until new physical expansions are released as they will require new rules documentation to explain them.


Fair enough, although I've personally experienced (via other means obviously) quite complex and tough bar-sliding style puzzles.

Also, I disagree that it will require new physical material, both this app and the D2E RtL app have RULES buttons that link you directly to an online PDF. This can be updated at their leisure, without any physical production required. A pop-up explanation can also be inserted in the interim or for a temporary period.

Digital has some very strong benefits for stuff like this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.