SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally we played Ebbe & Flut, an odd game from Adlung. As usual, their version of English provides obstacles, but it makes sense after a few readings. Basically, you draw and play cards in your corner, and try to flow them across the plan to the other player's corner. Where rows or columns contain matching letters A-E or numbers 1-5, you move them forward or left. When you get a card of yours into the corner, you remove it for a point. But you can also remove the other player's cards from the game in the same way.

Cards stack up, so moving a card can cause more matchings when the next card down is revealed. Ian didn't really get it until the end, and he did score a point, but I romped away, letting my cards flow and score, then recede, and scored several points. The mechanism does fit the theme very well, but looking at a grid of big letters and numbers is too abstract and jarrs with the theme. Maybe using shapes and colours would work better, like marine creatures (crab, starfish, shell, fish, prawn or clam).

I liked this game and would add it to the good pile of Adlung games.

And so we reach that notorious season of ill-will, when thousands of families gather round their Monopoly board and renew their hatred of board games in mutual acrimony. Already the TV ads for Cranium/Taboo have begun. And I must suffer a month's drought until my player's return to normal life. Have a lovely religious festival theists.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Derrick
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Finally we played Ebbe & Flut,... When you get a card of yours into the corner, you remove it for a point. But you can also remove the other player's cards from the game in the same way.

How do you mean this? You don't move your opponents cards at all, so I'm wondering what you mean to remove the other player's cards. If you were allowed to move your opponent's cards, then you would never face the possibility of losing one of your own cards off of the top or side of the 'board' outside of the scoring area, which is definitely considered in the rules, and often figures significantly in the games I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
EYE of NiGHT (#23776),
I agree. I re-translated these rules (see above), and there is definitely no provision for removing your opponent's cards in the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.