Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: MSRP $100?!? Wow, is it worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
isaac carr
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Don'g get me wrong, I have shelled out that much for some games before, but few have been worth that steep of a price (Rebellion!).

So for those that have it and have played it, is it worth the high buy in?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you will definitely get more material in ascendancy than you did in rebellion.

the game itself has very nice mechanics, simple enough but offering lots of options.
also, you are not just playing the game but also your opponents.
each game is different and requires to find the good balance and strategy to win it and there are many possible tactics you could apply, keeping the game open and fresh each time with no single winning strategy.

replayability is high given the randomness of the map and exploration, and will become better with the planned expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a heck of a game. Exceptional. Maybe game of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vander Velden
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the $100 price tag is a bit high. Seems to me perhaps one more race in the starter box would have been about right. With that being said I love the game and am glad I bought it. I don't mind paying extra for something I like. But it seems high to me too. I have bought plenty of crappy games I don't play anymore that seemed like a good deal when I bought it. They had plenty of stuff in the box for the price. I would rather pay more for less if I like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

I disagree with that. Rebellion has many more differing sculpts and they are of much higher quality.

Each separate sculpt requires it's own mould, which increases the cost of the game.

I think you get more "stuff" in Rebellion, but that doesn't mean Ascendancy is a bad game or that it's not worth buying. I own Rebellion and will be buying Ascendancy.

I only wish the sculpts were better in Ascendancy so I would enjoy painting them more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I've played 3 games so far and would say it is worth it. I will have to see if it holds up to the test of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

I disagree with that. Rebellion has many more differing sculpts and they are of much higher quality.

Each separate sculpt requires it's own mould, which increases the cost of the game.

I think you get more "stuff" in Rebellion, but that doesn't mean Ascendancy is a bad game or that it's not worth buying. I own Rebellion and will be buying Ascendancy.

I only wish the sculpts were better in Ascendancy so I would enjoy painting them more.

I don't think that by "material" he meant physical components. Rebellion obviously contains more and higher quality components, in keeping with FFG's usual standards. I think he was speaking in terms of gameplay, perhaps replayability in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although both Ascendancy and Rebellion shared the $100 MRSP, I pre-ordered via CSI and got Rebellion for ~$75 (including shipping). I've already pre-ordered Ascendancy and will enjoy a similar savings.

Do I wish I could play Ascendancy this weekend? Absolutely, but I'm willing to wait for what sounds like a very good game. The end of September will arrive soon enough.

As far as components go, FFG is really second to none. It looks like the pieces for Ascendancy are at least above-average quality (possibly better), but I must defer to those who actually have the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Whether or not a game is worth its price tag is always going to depend on your own subjective standards. Is Twilight Imperium worth its $100 MSRP? I think so. Others may disagree.

The only way to know if, for you, the game is worth its listed price is to try it. And if you decide it's not worth it, there are places like Cool Stuff Inc and Miniature Market that will sell it at a steep discount if you don't mind not supporting your FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i own the game, i do find the component quality to be very slightly less that what i have come to expect, however in terms of gameplay, i can promise you i will be enjoying this for quite a while and enjoying the increased diversity, options and gameplay mechanics that the 9 expansions next year will offer.

i paid full price at gen con and have not been the slightest bit disappointed. i have no regrets that i paid full price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
wait, what? 9 expansions next year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Coiote wrote:

That's the figure everyone keeps quoting. I didn't see the original context, so I couldn't tell you if they were giving a ballpark number, or stating it as fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
Coiote wrote:

That's the figure everyone keeps quoting. I didn't see the original context, so I couldn't tell you if they were giving a ballpark number, or stating it as fact.

in one of the videos GF9 said they had 9 expansions planed for next year and 3 years worth of expansions planned.

they didnt act like it was ballpark but i dont know how accurate they are with their release schedule.

we know about the cardassians and ferengi, also the tholians are likely (one card mentions "the tholians are immune to this card") they have said the borg and dominion will be NPCs each is likely to have an expansion. i would guess from the way the rulebook is worded that extra ships and things for existing factions may be in the works. (the rulebook makes some mention of this) as for what else we will see i dont know but im excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It actually makes a kind of sense for 9 expansions to be planned.

9 expansion - 2 NPC factions = 7 new player factions.

7 expansion factions + 3 base-game factions = 10 playable factions total.

And there are 10 initiative cards in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
R2EQ wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

I don't think that by "material" he meant physical components. Rebellion obviously contains more and higher quality components, in keeping with FFG's usual standards. I think he was speaking in terms of gameplay, perhaps replayability in particular.

i definitely meant the components, in rebellion the box is barely half-filled! sure you get more different sculpts and of good quality so its price is ok but it doesnt give the feeling of being packed, certainly when you run out of some minis during an average game.

but gamewise ascendancy fills more as well as it has a higher randomness factor and more open to different tactics that encourages replayability, rebellion's randomness factor is low that it will tend to become samey/predictable after 7-8 games, the different race expansions that are being planned for ascendancy will definitely increase replayability a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:

i would expect less than 7 player factions. i expect something to allow more than 30 ships per player as that is kinda hinted at in the rulebook. there also could be mechanical expansions that add more features. but i also expect more player factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Damn, going by the prices of the already announced expansions($22), this will be quite quite expensive game for completionists like me. $200 in expansions just next year, without including shipping and taxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
Novacat wrote:

i would expect less than 7 player factions. i expect something to allow more than 30 ships per player as that is kinda hinted at in the rulebook. there also could be mechanical expansions that add more features. but i also expect more player factions.

my impression is 9 expansions by the end of next year, which includes the cardassians and ferengi, if you see the trouble they have to bring out these 2 this year i dont see how they could possibly bring out 9 different ones next year.
unless some of these will be small ones like the retail versions of the promo exploration cards and the starbase minis, and perhaps packs of additional ships/nodes.

it will become a huge game with all those expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Coiote wrote:
Damn, going by the prices of the already announced expansions($22), this will be quite quite expensive game for completionists like me. $200 in expansions just next year, without including shipping and taxes.

MSRP for the Ferengi and Cardassian expansions is $35 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coiote wrote:

i am also a completionist, im not worried though, nothing seems a must have, just whatever your favorite races and such are, pick them up as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
i definitely meant the components, in rebellion the box is barely half-filled! sure you get more different sculpts and of good quality so its price is ok but it doesnt give the feeling of being packed, certainly when you run out of some minis during an average game.

I agree there should have been more minis in Rebellion (running out of Stormtroopers does not sit well with me during a game) and I think the quality of the Ascendancy minis should have been higher. Overall however, I think Rebellion is a more bang for buck "material" purchase when you factor in the art as well.

That being said, for $100 USD, it would be nice not to complain about components for both games. Sadly, we can.

Quote:
gamewise ascendancy fills more as well as it has a higher randomness factor and more open to different tactics that encourages replayability,

That is a fair point. The open ended aspect of Ascendancy is quite exciting.

I also think a 4 player Ascendancy game sounds more fun that a 4 player Rebellion game. However, a 2 player Rebellion game sounds more fun than a 2 player Ascendancy game.

Maybe these games scratch different itches? Or maybe Ascendancy's game play is slightly better than Rebellion's, but Rebellion comes with better quality stuff?

Either way, money is being spent on both for me. First world problems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent the full $100 for it at GenCon. I think it's totally worth the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lemick
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Keep in mind that the $100 is MSRP. I have mine on order from Coolstuff and it cost me $65.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe there's a thread on this already but what faces do you think they'll do??
Sounds like there will be 7 playable

1)cardassians

2) ferangi

3) Vulcan?
4) breen
5) bajoran
6) maybe a mirror style??
7) ? Gorn? Tholian? Idk

Not playable
1)Borg 2)dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlie Theel,

Hey, Other Chas. Did you do a review yet? Please provide a link to it if you did/when you do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.