Subject: Trying to decide which one of these 2 games to get first rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The basics: It takes me several months to purchase a new boardgame. I usually try to watch several reviews of the game, to watch some playthroughs if possible and to find out how the community feels about the games on my wishlist. Thus, you may have already seen some of my threads in which I asked about one of the games that I am about to mention.

I know I will get them both, but I want to get one of them next week, and I do not want to regret my purchase.

Criteria: good components, plays well with 2, replayability, fun, highly interactive.

Contenders: Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game and Eldritch Horror

What games I like: Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game , Seasons , Keyflower, Catan and Imperial Settlers

I've also just ordered Star Realms.

Why I am excited about Eldritch Horror:
1. I don't own a game that feels like an adventure, with a huge board to explore.
2. I've read and seen so many good reviews of it from reviewers whose tastes are very similar to mine.
3. It's got plenty of replayability, and I like the idea of globe-trotting with other investigators in order to solve mysteries and close gates and defeat monsters and stop ancient ones.
4. It looks cool, it has plenty of components, so I'll feel that my money is well invested.

Why I am concerned about Eldritch Horror:
1. I've read arguments for and against this, but there is too much reliance on dice rolling. I know this can be mitigated to a degree, but to get screwed just because you got a bad roll is something that concerns me.
2. Although I do not mind dice rolling (I like Catan after all), you really have to roll the dice all the time in this game! I'm afraid that it's going to get annoying after a while.
3. It might be too long for my girlfriend's taste (if we keep it under 2 hours it could be ok though).

Why I am excited about Legendary Aliens:
1. I love Marvel Legendary and I have all its 10 expansions, and this should be an improvement over that system.
2. It's supposed to be very difficult! I love a challenge and this game should present several challenges.
3. It has some inteesting mechanics, and surely feels from what I've seen like a co-op game, with the coordinate ability and all of that.
4. Player elimination is interesting, and I do not have a game that features that mechanic. Also, the possibility to enter the game as a Xenomorph is intriguing and should offer plenty of replayability (although I've heard that it is very difficult for the human playes to win after a xenomorph enters the game).

Why I am concerned about Legendary Aliens:
1. The artwork might be too gruesome, but I'll get used to it so this is minor.
2. My girlfriend has not seen the movies, so she could enjoy less playing with those characters than I would.
3. Isn't it too similar to Marvel Legendary? Wouldn't it be a smarter move to get first a very different game, i.e. Eldritch Horror?
4. I hope I won't miss cards, as many other uses reported to...

Thank you guys! sorry for the long post, I am looking forward to your replies. I'll give some Geek Gold in an arbitrary way to some of the posts below, just to apologize for making such a long post and to thank you for bearing with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Why I am concerned about Eldritch Horror:
3. It might be too long for my girlfriend's taste (if we keep it under 2 hours it could be ok though).

Why I am concerned about Legendary Aliens:
3. Isn't it too similar to Marvel Legendary? Wouldn't it be a smarter move to get first a very different game, i.e. Eldritch Horror?
Imho, these are the most relevant concerns regarding these two games.

I think LE: Alien is the best of the bunch so far, but I'm a big fan of the movies, so that might be part of the reason. But I'd get a game that offers something that's really different, i.e. Eldritch Horror, given your two choices.

For a different suggestion:
Have you looked into Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island? It's a hybrid between a Euro game and a thematic 'adventure' game like Arkham Horror (or Eldritch Horror). It's also a co-op, including several, very different scenarios. It also includes dice, but for the most part they're optional, i.e. you can choose to dedicate more resources to an action to avoid having to roll dice. Imho, it's really great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I looked into Robinson Crusoe but it was too expensive and I decided to wait for the reprint.

I went with Eldritch Horror for now, and I hope I won't regret my acquisition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy both of these games but I don't think you will be playing Eldritch in under 2 hours at least to start with, I solo with 4 investigators and expect to take 3-4 hours including set up. Aliens is much quicker to play and get to the table (after the big initial sort out which only has to be done once). You can't go wrong with either of these games but EH will take more forward planning then LE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, most people who have replied at one of my threads in the Eldritch Horror forums said that the game takes less than 2 hours once you get to know the rules for 2 player-games (2 investigators in total).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stipe Krunic
Croatia
Rab
flag msg tools
Well I can't say anything about Legendary cause I never played it but regarding EH I can comment a few things.

For starters I have the base game and the expansions (both small box) Forsaken Lore which is recommended (but not mandatory) since the encounters get repetetive after 2-3 plays, also I have Strange Remnants which is also a small box expansion and adds more variety.

So as a 2 player game it is great and I prefer to play it like that. It will take you 2 and a half hours for your first 2 games than it will be 2 with setup when you get the kicks.

But I thing it shines more with 4 players or maybe 3. The game is really good for whats in the box and you can clearly play each Ancient One 2 times then you will start seeing the same "Event cards"

Pros

- Great adventure game for 2-4 players and you feel like you are in some sort of a story, its actually for 2-8 but everything else feels like too much preassure and such a drag time wise I mean.

- 4 ancient ones and each one has a unique board feel, for example 1 will have you do lots of monster fighting but the 2nd one will have you lots of gate closing or similiar.

- Lots of cool monsters and Epic monsters

- The game is HARD and I mean it will rub it in your face Hard! It will get you killed and then it will kill you again if you take too much time doing other stuff and not solving mysteries, the game is good at giving you other stuff to do and not solving mysteries.

Cons

- Dice checking for almost everything and you always hope to get 5-6 or else bad stuff happens, it can be a little blend sometimes.
-You run out of surprises after a few games and you need expansions to keep you going which is what arkham has a ton of expansions and it seems EH is going the same route.

- The time for setting the game up takes about 30 mins. but i cutted that to like 5-10 I got a small plastic box for all the tokens which are seperated and its now easier to handle

-Desperate for expansions after a medium to low amount of playing the game

In general

The game is good, but you already know that since you want to buy it.

If you are interested I want to give mine away by trading or selling we can make a deal if you want, I got my cards all sleeved around 750 of them, cause there is a lot of shuffling and I wanted to protect them specially for the Ancient Ones mysteries.
My game is in almost new condition its just like brand new but you need to say it like that as soon as you opened it its second hand if you want to sell it

Anyways I think whichever you buy you will be satisfied

P.S. I got bored with pros and cons so thats why there aren't that many its been like 4 months since my last EH play

P.P.S. This is my first comment and Idk if you click on quick reply or just reply on the post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A major concern is that you seem to favor euro style games so far, where strategy and mechanisms take center stage. In Eldritch Horror the theme takes center stage and the gameplay is largely decided by die rolls.

I bought the game after some consideration as well and while I can see why people like EH and enjoyed aspects of it, ultimately I'd rather play something that is not so luck driven. You could beef up a character's attribute through planning, come up with a team strategy to manage the board, and in the end.. oh, I rolled a two.. I lose. In a euro there is luck but not central and only to guide strategy, such as rolling the dice before your turn and deciding what can be done.

There are more thematic euro games coming out now, based on the games you mentioned you enjoy, I'd check those out. Of course, you could always give EH a whirl and just trade it if it doesn't pan out, that's what I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stipe Krunic
Croatia
Rab
flag msg tools
R3DSH1FT wrote:
A major concern is that you seem to favor euro style games so far, where strategy and mechanisms take center stage. In Eldritch Horror the theme takes center stage and the gameplay is largely decided by die rolls.

I bought the game after some consideration as well and while I can see why people like EH and enjoyed aspects of it, ultimately I'd rather play something that is not so luck driven. You could beef up a character's attribute through planning, come up with a team strategy to manage the board, and in the end.. oh, I rolled a two.. I lose. In a euro there is luck but not central and only to guide strategy, such as rolling the dice before your turn and deciding what can be done.

There are more thematic euro games coming out now, based on the games you mentioned you enjoy, I'd check those out. Of course, you could always give EH a whirl and just trade it if it doesn't pan out, that's what I did.

Yeah I have to agree with Jared, maybe check out Archipelago for a good Euro game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PereLeux wrote:

P.P.S. This is my first comment and Idk if you click on quick reply or just reply on the post?

Quick reply lets you reply below whatever comment you click it on without going to a new webpage. Quick quote does the same thing but copies what someone said and put it above your comment. These two are always easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stipe Krunic
Croatia
Rab
flag msg tools
Thank you for the explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PereLeux wrote:

Just do the way that suits you better, there's no difference in the end result

EDIT: ninja-ed ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.