Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game of the new edition. On the whole I'm impressed by the changes: legendary cities aside I feel they improve the game.

So obviously I'm interested in trying the new rules with my old edition. There's no obvious reason not to do so. Mostly it's just tweaks to the victory conditions and building, nothing that requires extra components beyond a few home made caravan tokens. Especially if you don't want to use Legendry Cities

But I know the board has changed a bit too. So using the new rules with the old board could impact balance. Plus there's Moy old mythology expansion which I'd hate to toss.

Any thoughts on whether it's worth trying to use the new rule tweaks with the old board and expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I too am interested in this. I know there's been a few threads that details what's different, but an upgrade kit or similar would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also interested, last week played the new version, and would also be interested in retrofitting the best bits of the new edition while preserving most of the original edition intact

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
might want to check out my thread on my perceived fundamental flaw of the new game... Some great arguments against my position - but it might be pertinent to your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unitoch wrote:
Good question. I too am interested in this. I know there's been a few threads that details what's different, but an upgrade kit or similar would be awesome.

Yes. Would be quite happy to pay for a kit - perhaps the board would be sufficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll third the request for an upgrade kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
A full upgrade kit would probably need a new board, and then new cards to adjust the resources... at that point, might as well just buy the new version I would think.

I do think playing the new rules on the old board could be possible. I haven't compared the differences in boards to know how major they are. It's possible one could modify the old board somehow, or just live with the slight differences. (Or buy the big map board from Academy?)

Anyway... what I came here to post was links to these two threads which go over the differences, and could help someone compile some sort of "upgraded rules" sheet/kit:
Quick Analysis of changes from original
After 37 plays of the original game I now have played the new version - my thoughts on the changes

My guess is it's perfectly possible to use many of the new rules with the old components, possibly making for a quicker game. Someone just needs to sit down and try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.