Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a CCG fan, I like seeing new CCGs, trying them out and stuff. I like the general idea behind the collation in this game, but what I don't get is, if you want to make it completely non collectable, why market it as a CCG in the first place? What about people that just want to buy a starter, and want to get the whole set, but can't buy a booster box right off the bat? Won't they have just as a hard a time collecting a set as a normal CCG player of any other card game, because they have to buy single or smaller quantitiies of boosters, and will get repeats? Why not just cut down on the cards in a set, release sets in box sets, and package expansions like blue moon? I just kinda think the Non Collectable collation thing is kinda iffy, also considering its nearly 90 bucks for the whole set, not counting having to get the starters also, which a case costs 100. I understand that you guys have a kind of mental seperation of "casual" and "addict", but alot of casual players may be miffed at having a problem collecting the whole set without having to buy a 90 dollar booster box all at once. But thats just me, I was just kinda confused on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Gagnepain
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi Hunter,

Thanks for the questions. The main reason we didn't box it as a completely stand alone set is because we as a group love the play of CCG. Specifically draft play. You need to package a game in packs that can be randomized for draft play.

And as for casual gamers, there are pros and cons. Yes, you are correct that if you do try and buy packs to collect the game, it's going to be luck if you get it or not. However, that's not really different than any other game. But the big pros are, we have collated the packs so within each pack you get 2 characters and 4 personal cards for them, including one of their more powerful personal cards. You need to know the rules to really get what that means, but basically you can remove a character and insert a new one fairly easily if you're just trying to have fun. If you want to be competitive in tournament play, but don't want to buy an entire box, I would suggest buying 2 of each starter, and a few packs. That will build out the basic cards, sort of the mortar of the deck, and expand your characters. There is a chance that casuals will be miffed at having to buy a box at once, but seriously, isn't it WAY better then what any other game give you. Try collecting magic buy buying packs randomly. I've bought 4 boxes of magic for some sets and not gotten a full set.

You are right though, this is a card game that is more like a CCG then a single product. The only reason we made it non-collectable in the way that it is, is for the players. We did marketing research and EVERYONE said they don't get into CCG's as much because of the money it costs. Well, this is a great CG with off the chart art, and if you like it, you know it's easy to get the full set and you don't need to drop more then about $100. 100 dollars is a lot for a stand alone product, but it's only about $20 more then the average Fantasy Flight game. And this offers the CCG tournament structure, which is what we love about playing card games.

We also care much more about the playability of the game more then duping people into buying three boxes for rares. That kind of marketing leads to broken power cards and unbalancedness. We don't want that. It's much easier to balance a game this way. We've tested the game for 2 years with multiple groups nation wide. This is going to be the best playtested game on the market. I've seen at least 20 different deck types off the top of my head, and each has pros and cons, yet each is capable of beating any of the others if played properly. We want to avoid a tournament environment where 2 to 3 deck types rule. That will not happen with Powerstorm.

Again thanks for the interest, our big push is this week so we can get ready for organized play. Our orders are picking up so if your local store doesn't have the game yet, keep an eye out for it in the next few weeks.

Regards,
Joseph Gagnepain
VP Sales
Veritas Games
Sales@veritasgames.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Weapon wrote:
What about people that just want to buy a starter, and want to get the whole set, but can't buy a booster box right off the bat? Won't they have just as a hard a time collecting a set as a normal CCG player of any other card game, because they have to buy single or smaller quantitiies of boosters, and will get repeats?

Buy into the game with friends. Let's say you can afford 6 draft packs per month. If you and 3 friends each buy 6 draft packs each per month you'll be able to split a box per month. After 4 months, if you each started with 2 starter decks you'll actually have 4 full sets between you.

Don't buy by yourself. Buy with friends. Then, even if you can't buy a box all at once you'll be able to get a set.

In a couple of weeks we'll have smaller subsets of the cards online at our web store if you want a cheaper way to get specific subsets of the game.

If you have no other way to get a set, contact us via email and we'll help fill in gaps in your card pool. Anyone who wants a complete set of cards should have no problems getting a complete set between working with friends, with their local store, and with our company.

As Joe Gagnepain pointed out, draft play (which we are going to announce next month) has proven popular in playtest and was a primary reason we went with draft packs instead of a complete box. It also makes it convenient for players to split a box between friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.