Subject: Thinking of buying this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Hello there. I already own elder signn which I love very much. I am thinking of getting this game but sadly, expansions are hard to find in french. Do you guys think i will like even if I wont get any expansions? Am I missing some nice items , investigators etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's probably still worth getting.
However, if you can get even one expansion for it, that will increase the replay-ability a lot.
Without any expansions you are still looking at many hours of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Elder Sign as well and I love Eldritch Horror, one of my favorite games to solo with two characters. Here are my thoughts...Review.
The expansions do bump up the game for me. I recommend starting with a smaller one like Forsaken Lore, or Strange Remnants to start, if you feel one may be needed. I think the focus rules are a nice addition and you can really add that to the game without an expansion, just read up on the rules for it and add some tokens or counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.philibertnet.com/en/edge/35664-les-contrees-de-l-..., hope this helps others are available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Wow!! They have like 4 of them available. I just ordered them all. Thank you

Normally i dont mind having english version of games, but i think theres a lot of reading on the cards in this one and i wanted a smooth run through it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing. Buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donagh Molloy
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's playable on its own but cards will repeat. One small box expansion will fix this. If possible forsaken lore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Once i receive it, ill play the base game first and then slowly adds expansions over time. Cant wait to play it.

An other off topic question:

is there any items/equipment that you keep during the whole game or are they all one use ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:

An other off topic question:

is there any items/equipment that you keep during the whole game or are they all one use ?

Most you keep and you can keep using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik L.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it has been mentioned before but nevertheless: You really want to buy the first expansion immediatly since the number of location cards is a joke otherwise (8!). Seriously.

You keep a lot of equipment like weapons, spells, allies, magical equipment etc.. A lot of it can be used 1 time per round. Basically most of them I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I played my first game a few nights ago and hated it.

Everything in the game is so random. The whole game is just move to a space, flip a random card, read some random flavour text (that has to be vague enough to fit any circumstance), roll a dice and randomly pass or fail. Rinse, repeat.

It didn't feel like there were any meaningful choices to be made and I was incredibly bored. It didn't help that we started seeing repeated events halfway through the game.

Personally I would recommend Darkest Night (which is a similar game but much more dynamic because of unique character choices), Arabian Nights (which is just as random but the story is a lot more varied, crazy and IMO fun) or Mansions of Madness 2nd ed (which is also very similar but actually feels like you're investigating a Lovecraftian menace).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Nolastnamegiven
Denmark
flag msg tools
That's too bad, although I think you may find the game less random on subsequent plays. Maybe it would be a good idea to play it with an experienced player.

The skill checks in the game is actually not that random, but you need to use the investigators at the tasks they are best suited to.

After a couple of plays you will be able to make an educated guess at what skills they will need before going into the encounter phase.

It is also helpful to look at the world map - each city provide a certain benefit, which is the most common outcome of having a (successful) encounter there. Need to get rid of monsters? Go to Tokyo. Need to generate clues? Go to London.

I find the game is more about maximizing your chances of succeeding, and usually you will know how to do it.

I agree that there is an issue with repeating events in the base game. Many consider Forsaken Lore a must have for the same reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kdc629 wrote:
This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I played my first game a few nights ago and hated it.

Everything in the game is so random. The whole game is just move to a space, flip a random card, read some random flavour text (that has to be vague enough to fit any circumstance), roll a dice and randomly pass or fail. Rinse, repeat.

It didn't feel like there were any meaningful choices to be made and I was incredibly bored. It didn't help that we started seeing repeated events halfway through the game.

Personally I would recommend Darkest Night (which is a similar game but much more dynamic because of unique character choices), Arabian Nights (which is just as random but the story is a lot more varied, crazy and IMO fun) or Mansions of Madness 2nd ed (which is also very similar but actually feels like you're investigating a Lovecraftian menace).

It's not really as random as you think it is. Certain encounters tend to require certain attribute tests. Other world is often lore/will, expeditions are str/will/obs, research obs, city encounters influence, etc etc etc.

It seems random at first because you are supposed to pick up these things as you play. There is actually quite a lot of strategy involved in the game. You need to constantly reassess your situation to decide what actions are a priority. Do you need to solve the rumor? How many reckoning (yellow cards) are left in the mythos deck for the phase you are currently on? None? Ok, good, I guess you can take a breather with those debts you've been accumulating.

And with the expansions, there is quite a lot of variety in every deck excepting the Otherworld deck (they really need more of those).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.