Subject: How replayable is it without expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm considering getting this as my first dungeon crawler, but I'm not fond of "collectible games". I've noticed that there are many (dozens!?) ezpansions for Descent. This is the kind of band wagon that I don't want to jump in.

Now back to the title of the post. As a standalone game, is the core set enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
Core set is plenty playable with a solid selection of heroes and classes and several monsters that are still competitive.

My experience though was that the desire to get expansions was almost inevitable once I really got playing, not because the game was lacking anything, but because I just wanted more of it. After one or two expansions (typically people go for one big box and one small box expansion) you'll probably find you'll have expanded the core game plenty though, got more than your money's worth and be eyeing up new expansions more for the added options than any real need.

That said, I'd probably suggest looking at Imperial Assault if what you want is a more complete experience out of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've seem that Imperial Assault is based on Descent, but honestly the Star Wars theme is not my thing, also I really like the possibility of using the app to replace the overlord.

If you were going to suggest some essential content for Descent, what would that be? I'm asking that because my daughter will be travelling to USA and will bring me an order of boardgames home, so I need a single order (shipping and import tax here is very expensive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
I don't really consider any of Descent's expanded content to be vital, but I can offer insight as to what to prioritize in terms of value to content provided.

Big Box expansions (Shadow of Nerekhall, Labyrinth of Ruin) offer the most content. Each comes with a set of Heroes (4), hero classes (1 per hero in the box), four new Monsters, a nice selection of shop cards for both Act I and Act II, and a full campaign (with a large selection of quests you can play outside of the campaign if you want to).

The small box expansions (Lair of the Wyrm, The Trollfens, Manor of Ravens) each come with a smaller assortment of the above, and the two most recent small box expansions (Mists of Bilehall, The Chains That Rust) don't come with any new heroes. They also have a set of quests that are usually played as Rumors from a larger campaign, although they are also playable as stand-alone quests or as a mini campaign.

Hero and Monster expansions will each add three new monsters (or old monsters, adapted from their 1e versions) and four new heroes (1e stuff adapted) plus two quests that you can either play as Rumors during a campaign or on their own.

At the bottom of the value tree are the Lieutenant Packs. They come with a figure you can use in place of the Lieutenant tokens and a Plot Deck. You can only use one plot deck at a time, chosen at the start of the campaign. One of the cards in the deck can summon the Lieutenant as an Agent in any quest where they are not featured as a Lieutenant. Agents are less powerful in general and replace monsters in an Open monster group at the start of a quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhouluyi wrote:
I've seem that Imperial Assault is based on Descent, but honestly the Star Wars theme is not my thing,

thumbsup
Hate on, bruh. When I'm feeling adversarial, first thing I rant about is Star Wars. Second is superhero comics.

Quote:
I'm asking that because my daughter will be travelling to USA and will bring me an order of boardgames home, so I need a single order (shipping and import tax here is very expensive).

If your daughter is able to buy locally (at USA), and then bring it back in her suitcase, then I say buy as much as possible. You'll never be able to find it cheaper; buying Ameritrash games is practically robbery (us as the robbers), for how cheap it is in USD.

Ofc, she'd have trouble stuffing all those boxes into her luggage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's theme and crawling you are after, and this is your first, may i suggest starting with something like Claustrophobia. It's a two player game without an overload, and somewhat easier to get into.
Also, may i suggest adding you board games to your collection here, it will help others know your taste :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lieberoth Wadum
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went amok and got quite a few expansions straight away. Wis I hadn't.

They really just complicate things, and the extra characters are largely redundant.

I recommend playing the basic game, and then maybe adding extra stuff if you like some of the characters or monster themes. But the basic game is FINE on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatGuyMontag wrote:
Core set is plenty playable with a solid selection of heroes and classes and several monsters that are still competitive.

My experience though was that the desire to get expansions was almost inevitable once I really got playing, not because the game was lacking anything, but because I just wanted more of it. After one or two expansions (typically people go for one big box and one small box expansion) you'll probably find you'll have expanded the core game plenty though, got more than your money's worth and be eyeing up new expansions more for the added options than any real need.

That said, I'd probably suggest looking at Imperial Assault if what you want is a more complete experience out of the box.
to be honest Imperial assault is flawed as far as "heroes" go.no main characters you can actually play as heroes [they are in the game but only used as parts of a scenario not really controlled by you].the heroes except for Dialla are just normal types some look like warehouse workers even!!.lets a very themed game down IMO...adventures are Sameish as it follows a linear world.and it seems to be aimed more at skirmish play than adventuring..decent game but no where near as good as D2E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
SJack wrote:
Also, may i suggest adding you board games to your collection here, it will help others know your taste

Fixed.

If you can give me some hints on good games to bring from US, so far I've selected:
7 Wonders Duel
Caylus (maybe, don't really know the game)
Descent (maybe if playable as core box)
Forbidden Desert
Ghost Stories
Mage Knight
Neuroshima Hex 3.0
Stone Age (maybe, it's out of stock)
Tzolk'in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the core set is plenty to keep you entertained without buying expansions. If you are just buying it now you will most likely get one one the newer editions with the Heirs of Blood campaign. this includes approximately (i don't have the campaign books handy) 30 quests, most of which can be played as stand alone quests or part of a campaign. Also the Roads to Legend app with adds a mini Goblin (tutorial) Campaign as well as a 6 quest plus additional side quest campaign. All of these have replay value.

Compaire this with the recently released Mansions of Madness second edition with just 4 scenarios and you get a hell of a lot of play time for the price of the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steves71 wrote:
Yes the core set is plenty to keep you entertained without buying expansions. If you are just buying it now you will most likely get one one the newer editions with the Heirs of Blood campaign. this includes approximately (i don't have the campaign books handy) 30 quests, most of which can be played as stand alone quests or part of a campaign. Also the Roads to Legend app with adds a mini Goblin (tutorial) Campaign as well as a 6 quest plus additional side quest campaign. All of these have replay value.

Compaire this with the recently released Mansions of Madness second edition with just 4 scenarios and you get a hell of a lot of play time for the price of the base game.

Completely agree with this. Additionally the previous starter campaign (The Shadow Rune) can be found to download (I have just done this) giving you the two campaigns as well as the app content. Masses to be going on with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zhouluyi wrote:
SJack wrote:
Also, may i suggest adding you board games to your collection here, it will help others know your taste :)

Fixed. :)

If you can give me some hints on good games to bring from US, so far I've selected:
7 Wonders Duel
Forbidden Desert
Ghost Stories
Mage Knight
Neuroshima Hex 3.0
Tzolk'in

To avoid being off topic I'll PM you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhouluyi wrote:
SJack wrote:
Also, may i suggest adding you board games to your collection here, it will help others know your taste

Fixed.

7 Wonders Duel
Forbidden Desert
Ghost Stories
Mage Knight
Neuroshima Hex 3.0
Tzolk'in

Descent is totally playable out of the box. It is best-in-class as far as dungeon crawlers go. I highly recommend it. If I were to buy one expansion it would be one of the following listed in order of preference:

1) The conversion kit. This is designed for people who have 1st edition figures and heroes. If you don't mind playing with proxy figures or tokens, it really gives you a ton to play with for a low price. (See: http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Conversion_Kit) You can look up the figure sizes for your proxy monsters on the Descent Wiki.

2) Lair of the Wyrm is a small box expansion but is has some of my favorite things in it: The Champion hero type (fun!), two powerful heroes: Reynhart the Worthy and High Mage Quellen, secret rooms (not relevant if you will be mostly playing with the Road to Legends app....at least not yet), and the Hybrid Sentinel monsters.

3) Either of the big box expansions for a whole new campaign and new heroes.

As for other games, I would bring the following:

1) Mage Knight (On your list...bravo!)

2) One of (Eldritch Horror) or (Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition) or both if you enjoy the HP Lovecraft theme

3) Scythe

If you have younger kids (maybe not since your daughter is flying on her own):

1) Mice and Mystics
2) Smallworld

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:

2) One of (Eldritch Horror) or (Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition) or both if you enjoy the HP Lovecraft theme

Already have Eldritch and Mansions is schedule to be released here in Portuguese.

Quote:
3) Scythe

I haven't followed the hype, so I don't really know anything about it. I know it is some kind of heavy euro and that's it (I'm not a fan of euro).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas Pap
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
Since you are not fond of "collectible games" you don't need to worry. The basic game is completely enough. As long as replayability is concerned, it will take a looot of time to you and your party to finish the game but if you do so, you can make your own quests. The game is customisable and easy if you study carefully the rules and you play 1-2 games. Also, Descent was my first Dungeon Crawler Board Game too and since I prefer this kind of board game type most, I honestly tell you that it is the best and most complete game of this type.

Hope this will help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't like euro? You like Ameritrash? Awesome! Then I recommend the following games because (1)they're on my own wishlist, and (2)they are dirt cheap if you buy them in the USA, compared to if you buy imports from your own country.

(1) Arena Of The Planeswalkers
Tactical skirmish miniatures game using dice and cards. Uses Magic: The Gathering lore and atmosphere.
It has the base game and 2 expansions. Just get all 3; it won't even run over $100 USD. If I buy them where I am, it'll be $200.

(2) Battlelore 2nd Edition
Wargame-lite using hexes, miniatures, dice and cards. Same universe as Descent (realm of Terrinoth).
It has base game, 4 medium-sized army expansions, and 3 small unit expansions. If it was me I'd just get all of them and ship it to myself, and it would still only cost half as much as if I bought imports where I am now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also wait for a sale and pick up whatever's available. AFAIK, The expansions are designed to be playable with just the base game box (except one of the coop expansions, which uses the first big box).

The Overlord has leeway in selecting his forces, so you can play the same scenario again, with different opponents (and heroes, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.