Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: New gamer, what's something that could be considered the most "Euro-ish"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Garcia
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
Pretty new to board games, I've just been playing for less than 2 months. Getting into the hobby, I've found it interesting to research all the branches in gaming.

Regarding Euros, what are some games that could be considered the most "Euro" in style?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main hallmarks of euros are relatively low amounts of chance, and conflict between players is usually indirect.

Puerto Rico
Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride
Dominion
Anything by Stephan Feld

It's usually contrasted with "Ameritrash," which involves more direct attacks against others and higher amounts of luck, often involving dice rolls. Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must have followed someone's advice. I see you own both Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, games "always" recommended to new gamers. I put the word in quotes because there are a ton of ways to get into the hobby, not only via those two standards. There's nothing wrong with either game; I especially love Carcassonne.

Do some research on the following:
any by Stefan Feld - his games are definitely Euro. Most are called "point salad" games because you can do a variety of things to get points throughout the game.

any by Reiner Knizia - one of the first Euro designers. He's produced more than 100 games . . . and I might be way off on the number, could be much higher. His are the opposite of "point salad," and he's known for unique scoring systems that often involve math.

When you go onto their designer page and scroll down to their games list, sort by Rank and consider any of the games on the first page of listings.

Some Euros produced in the last 3 years include:
Rococo
Glass Road
Five Tribes
Istanbul

all sort of medium weight.

Here are some lighter games from the last 3 years:
Splendor
Port Royal
Rise of Augustus
Cacao

You didn't mention how many players you usually have. I haven't listed any 2-player-only games because of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race For The Galaxy
7 Wonders
Carcassonne
Settlers of Catan
Ticket To Ride
Aquadukt

Attributes vary from one person to another, but you'll typically have....
--No negative interaction
I can't destroy your settlements in Settlers of Catan. Note that, it can feel just as nasty if I cut you off, denying you the ability to build a settlement you were working on.

--no player elimination
Virtual player elimination is still possible though. E.g. there's no way to win in Settlers, but you still gotta sit through the drudgery

--have more attractive bits
Meeples, wooden figures, wooden cubes, tiles. Overall, superior to games like the classic wargames that are even more expensive, with lower print runs

--Have relatively simple rules
Agricola and Caylus may seem like prime counterexamples, but this is still in stark contrast to RPGs and wargames whose rulebooks can fill up whole encyclopedias. Most of these eurogames, you'll understand 80 to 95% of what's going on within the first few turns or rounds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think that definition depends on whether you're talking about modern or classic euros. My understanding is that the classic euros are better represented by more lightweight family friendly games like Catan or Ticket to Ride, which have simple rules, a strong luck component for the kiddies and some strategy for the adults.

More recent games called "euros" seem to span a much wider range, from the classic family style, to deep low luck / high strategy behemoths, to heavily themed Ameritrash style (i.e., "Eurotrash"). There are thousands of "euro" games now, each with a different combo of style and depth. Terra Mystica would be a good example of a modern heavy euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
No mention of Caylus? C'mon y'all!

edit: just noticed the mention above. Apologies laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Eastwood
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slade
South Korea
Busan
Busan
flag msg tools
EllenCaroline wrote:
You must have followed someone's advice. I see you own both Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, games "always" recommended to new gamers. I put the word in quotes because there are a ton of ways to get into the hobby, not only via those two standards. There's nothing wrong with either game; I especially love Carcassonne.

Do some research on the following:
any by Stefan Feld - his games are definitely Euro. Most are called "point salad" games because you can do a variety of things to get points throughout the game.

any by Reiner Knizia - one of the first Euro designers. He's produced more than 100 games . . . and I might be way off on the number, could be much higher. His are the opposite of "point salad," and he's known for unique scoring systems that often involve math.

When you go onto their designer page and scroll down to their games list, sort by Rank and consider any of the games on the first page of listings.

Some Euros produced in the last 3 years include:
Rococo
Glass Road
Five Tribes
Istanbul

all sort of medium weight.

Here are some lighter games from the last 3 years:
Splendor
Port Royal
Rise of Augustus
Cacao

You didn't mention how many players you usually have. I haven't listed any 2-player-only games because of that.

just wanted to say that yeah you're way off on Knizia. He has created closer to 600 games! Probably the most prolific designer of our time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorites that I haven't seen mentioned is Goa. I always found this to be the euro-iest of the euros I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Bruno
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica
Concordia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Who ARE these people?!? Race for the Galaxy? Nuh uh.

Definitive list of the ten eleven Most Euro'y games

Catan (1995)
(this is the Ur Euro, but its dice make it weirdly not totally Euro.)
El Grande (1995)
Tigris & Euphrates (1997)
Carcassonne (2000)
Puerto Rico (2002)
Caylus (2005)
Agricola (2007)
Brass: Lancashire (2007)
The Castles of Burgundy (2011)
Terra Mystica (2012)
Concordia (2013)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Catan (1995)

This idea Euros don't have dice is silly. Catan is 100% euro.

Otherwise your list is pretty solid, it is what I think when I hear Euro. Also, I think boring newer parallel play style games where you can't really affect other players (think Felds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Agricola. It's one of the greatest games ever made, and is the definitive Euro game. It's the game I use when introducing friends and family members to board games, and everyone loves it. Perfect for new people. The days of "gateway games" are over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
skutsch wrote:

Catan (1995)
El Grande (1995)
Tigris & Euphrates )1997)
Carcassonne (2000)
Puerto Rico (2002)
Caylus (2005)
Agricola (2007)
Terra Mystica (2012)
Concordia (2013)

I second this list. Of the games on this list, I'd say Catan and Carcassonne are probably the Biggest Names that helped to define the term "eurogame" back in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Catan (1995)

Otherwise your list is pretty solid, it is what I think when I hear Euro. Also, I think boring newer parallel play style games where you can't really affect other players (think Felds).

I am never silly.

Also, I own 5 of these. Does that make me a Euro player? Or not a real Euro player because I only have 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby!

Best advice: don't buy too many games before you have decided what you like and don't like. Stay away from the hot deals forum. Put your wallet away before you watch your favorite reviewer rave about a game. Pfft, who am I kidding. We'll be eagerly awaiting your overflowing shelfie soon.

I feel like I should be making a suggestion -- The Gallerist, Trickerion, Village, Grand Austria Hotel,Trajan are some new and older Euro-y Eros. Everyone else has listed really good games, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought Tigris & Euphrates was considered the poster child?

What about one with interaction? The Princes of Florence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
darthain wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Catan (1995)

I am never silly.

Also, I own 5 of these. Does that make me a Euro player? Or not a real Euro player because I only have 5?

That makes you 5/11 or 45% Euro. Like French fries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico is to me the quintessential euro.

But euros have changed. They were not always so... toothless. See El Grande.

Definitely take a look at Reiner knizia's games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We call them thangs "freedom fries"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
SoundCity wrote:

Agricola has a lot of theme, and the occupation cards are pretty atypical of Euros.

There's quite a lot of division in Euros too. You have stuff like Cyclades, Kemet or Blood Rage, which could be called hybrid games. You have stuff like Terra Mystica and Scythe that use Ameritrash games as inspiration. You have traditional euro games that were less "optimization" and more "family-friendly" like El Grande, Catan and Tigris & Euphrates. And modern euros, which are more optimization in a giant Rube Goldberg machine (AKA: The Felds).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Puerto Rico is to me the quintessential euro.

But euros have changed. They were not always so... toothless. See El Grande.

Definitely take a look at Reiner knizia's games.

They used to be interesting and interactive, some even still area (but it takes a lot more sifting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Catan (1995)
El Grande (1995)
Tigris & Euphrates (1997)
Carcassonne (2000)
Puerto Rico (2002)
Caylus (2005)
Agricola (2007)
Terra Mystica (2012)
Concordia (2013)

Make it a list of twelve and add Hansa Teutonica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't particularly like the "eurogame/ameritrash" terms, but my poster child for a eurogame is Hansa (not Hansa Teutonica).

It is essentially just a bunch spots with arrows between them, on which the players move and place objects and keep score. The theme is paper thin and could quite literally be anything under the sun, and the gameplay is simultaneously incredibly simple and quite involved. I don't know that a game can get more "euro" than that.

Pete (thinks a lot of the games mentioned are either to complex or too well themed to really hit the mark)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.