GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Defenders of the Last Stand» Forums » General

Subject: Differences Between Retail & Kickstarter editions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike McCarthy
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the differences and what is the impact on gameplay/appearance? Thx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
edparkmike1 wrote:
What are the differences and what is the impact on gameplay/appearance? Thx.

I just checked my pledge and, to be honest, I can't tell what KS exclusive and what wasn't. Check it out for yourself and see if you can tell. I think maybe we got a few extra adventure cards and maybe a character. Nothing huge, you won't miss it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the Kickstarter additions were huge. You got 4 extra characters and their minis, and several additional adventure cards (I think it was adventures for 3 Additionsl locations, but can't remember got sure). In any event it seemed like a lot when I was designing them.

The difference of 9 characters instead of 5 is significant in my opinion.

Thanks for your interest.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game sells well, the Kickstarter heroes will be part of a Ranger pack. The only exclusive item will be the adventure cards (and maybe, fingers crossed, those will be added to an Adventure Expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McCarthy
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Richard. I only played the game once and enjoyed it greatly. 4 additional characters will add significant variety. Do you happen to have an extra kickstarter copy in the garage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Unfortunately, no extras around my house. I thinking you buy the game from 8th Summit the extra characters come with it. Additionally, they will most likely be offered as an expansion pack - at least the Rangers, not the adventures. I do not think any were KS exclusives, just free bonus items. Hopefully we can even add several more Ranger characters that have been created for the game.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edparkmike1 wrote:
Thanks Richard. I only played the game once and enjoyed it greatly. 4 additional characters will add significant variety. Do you happen to have an extra kickstarter copy in the garage?

We (GLGames) also sell the Kickstarter edition with the extra heroes and adventure cards in the BGG Marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I just very recently bought one of your KS versions (GL Games). Awesome price, awesome shipping...

I am absolutely loving this game. Really looking forward to more Rangers. Well....more anything and everything, really. But more Rangers woukd be so great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard is right that there was quite a bit of extra material in the KS edition. The exact count is 4 extra rangers and 12 new adventures (3 each for 4 different locations, all locations without adventure cards in the
base game.)

The extra KS material is not essential to play the game, but it is not "fluff" extras either. These cards add quite a bit of variety to the character and adventure pool. The KS extras are definitely worth it if you are going to play the game more than a handful of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McCarthy
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cam27 wrote:
Richard is right that there was quite a bit of extra material in the KS edition. The exact count is 4 extra rangers and 12 new adventures (3 each for 4 different locations, all locations without adventure cards in the
base game.)

The extra KS material is not essential to play the game, but it is not "fluff" extras either. These cards add quite a bit of variety to the character and adventure pool. The KS extras are definitely worth it if you are going to play the game more than a handful of times.

How fantastic is it that a respected designer such as Richard would take the time to share this insight?

Ultimately, I pre-ordered a copy at MM yesterday for $55. As much as I wanted the extra content, 50% off MSRP is difficult to pass up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
It's really too bad this thing didn't fund a lot more than it did. I think Richard and crew were planning A LOT of extra stuff for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McCarthy
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deekerston wrote:
It's really too bad this thing didn't fund a lot more than it did. I think Richard and crew were planning A LOT of extra stuff for this game.

Future expansion material?

Once people have some time to experience the game, I think it will start selling. The $110 MSRP was a serious mistake. Instead of people asking if it is as good as a $100 game, people ask if it is that much better than a $100 game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went into how price comparisons work on the Conan thread, although it took me two tries to get my idea across.

Defenders of the Last Stand is definitely a game I would consider modding to add more characters and adventures if it met an early end. I'd want to check with Richard Launius first though. There might be some provisions in Richard's contract where the license reverts back to him, and I wouldn't want to deprive Richard Launius of an opportunity to release Last Stand again in the future if he chose to do so.

I've avoided making characters for Defenders of the Realm and Flying Frog's A Touch of Evil and Fortune & Glory because there's already a lot of official content available for those games with more expected in the future. I like to enhance games that need more content or are missing something critical that the community wants (AD&D Room Events, PACG Adventure Guides.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I should also mention I've got nothing against other people doing these things themselves. Fans create a lot of amazing content for boardgames, and sometimes the unofficial content helps make owning those games worthwhile and spurs additional sales. It's only my personal preference here. I like to give content creators an opportunity to make more of their own stuff when a game is brand-new since I could envision scenarios where some potential customers wouldn't buy official releases if there's a flood of quality unofficial content early in the game's life cycle.

I'm definely thumbsup for abandoned games and licensed characters that the publisher couldn't use. Having a post-apoc game without a Mad Max type character just seems wrong, so it's always great to see the community implement pop-culture figures in games. There are some talented people out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My take on the KS extras is:
- The 4 bonus Ranger characters are a must have. In an adventure game like this, more player characters to choose from is always a good thing.
- The 12 bonus Adventure cards are nice, but not a must have. We don't seem to have time to go on more than 2-3 adventures per game, so the base game Adventure deck is big enough to provide variety over many plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.