Joshua Benziger
United States
Oakdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IP "not found"

The other day I was watching a movie and thought about how board games have gaps in marketable intellectual properties (also known as IP) that do not have great games. I quickly thought of 15 IP's that are not represented in currently board game market. I thought I would post a list of the top 10 with a couple honorable mentions and maybe a quick pitch of what type of game it should be. Let's start with honorable mentions.

Honorable Mentions:
Shrek - One of the biggest family franchise that does not have a great game. Could be a fun family style game where each player picks a storybook character depicted in the movie and tries to impress Shrek and Fiona in order to live on the swamp. This idea is not flushed out at all.

Planet of the Apes - Huge franchise that seems to be coming back thanks to the latest movie in 2014. The game could feature competitors fending off the Apes. Maybe a Tower defense style of game.

#10 King Kong/Godzilla - I feel like both monsters are similar in nature. I know King of Toyko and Terror in Meeple City exist. However both Kong and Godzilla are lacking in direct IP correlation. It could be a two player game Monster versus Human or a better idea is who can effectively defeat the monster better than the other person. It would be fun either way.

#9 Scooby Doo - Scooby Doo is a great classic ip needing a great game because the mystery aspect of the show. I know that every episode they foiled the old man's plan however clues and storytelling could be the selling point of a great Scooby Doo game.

#8 Die Hard - Arguable the best Christmas movie of all time. It needs a great game, maybe a miniature tactical game. Hans Gruber versus John McClane and adding hostages and some diplomacy seems like there is some great potential.

#7 Matrix - The sci-fi franchise could have a great game in which people the characters are fighting two fronts one against the machine and another inside the matrix. Could be similar to the idea of T.I.M.E. Stories of entering into the pod or avatar.

#6 The Departed - Now I know it's not a franchise; however an adult themed game that involve gangsters and cops. Could have a bang mechanic of known identity of a couple of players like Mob boss and Police Chief. However say other players are cops that could be bought to help the mob boss or mob members that are actual snitches. Social deduction seems to be the best fit for this theme.

#5 Transformers - Seems weird in the recent trend of Transformers movies that no one has tried to make a board game. Fighting robots that try to destroy the world. Interesting enough that Upper Deck hasn't tried to make Legendary Transformers.

#4 Terminator - Another untapped sci-fi theme. Save Sarah Connor type of game would be amazing. A simple card game would not do the theme justice but a little more in depth thoughtful game.

#3 James Bond - Bond, James Bond. What? There is not a great bond game, seems silly that nothing has delivered on the classic British spy game. It's tough because James Bond gets a lot of awesomeness from this "Mojo" but I could see this game developing into stopping Dr. No type of game with actions and cards.

#2 - Indiana Jones - I know that they have tried. The Dianna Jones award has a piece of burnt Indiana Jones RPG as its focal point. However the adventure for artifacts in games like Incan Gold, and even Artifacts Inc. did not give me the sense of Indiana Jones due to its lack in characters. Someone needs to develop a huge scale, get the treasure game. Cough Cough Fantasy Flight Cough. Even a simple dudes on the map style would be amazing as long as I get to say, "snakes, I hate snakes."

#1 - Jurassic Park - Only the biggest movie of 2015 summer. I think a worker placement style of game would be an interesting choice to maintain control of the dinos. Another idea would be very zoo tycoon feel of building the park and seeing if it can contain I-Rex and his pals in order to make the most money before it escapes and eats everyone. I like this idea a lot. I am gonna sit down and see if these game could be flushed out further.

What do you think? Are there any other IP's that need a great game?

Check out my website.
www.cut-the-deck.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbenz32 wrote:

#1 - Jurassic Park - Only the biggest movie of 2015 summer. I think a worker placement style of game would be an interesting choice to maintain control of the dinos. Another idea would be very zoo tycoon feel of building the park and seeing if it can contain I-Rex and his pals in order to make the most money before it escapes and eats everyone. I like this idea a lot. I am gonna sit down and see if these game could be flushed out further.

As long as you are the dinosaurs and you need to eat people then I am all for it. Farm-ville Dino-style sounds crap compared to the all-you-can-eat human smorgasbord!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the Tom Clancy IP is grossly under-represented. There could be all kinds of games that could come out of that. Co-ops, war, tactical, 1 vs many... In the IP, you have Rainbow Six, The Campus, all kinds of stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Benziger
United States
Oakdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:
I think that the Tom Clancy IP is grossly under-represented. There could be all kinds of games that could come out of that. Co-ops, war, tactical, 1 vs many... In the IP, you have Rainbow Six, The Campus, all kinds of stuff.

For sure. That was my number 13 but I was struggling because there is so much content similar to Jason Bourne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Benziger
United States
Oakdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:
jbenz32 wrote:

As long as you are the dinosaurs and you need to eat people then I am all for it. Farm-ville Dino-style sounds crap compared to the all-you-can-eat human smorgasbord!

Well have you played vast were one person plays as "the cave"? It would be interesting if one player was the Dinosaurs and out wrecking people's parks. Just something to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Castlevania.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discworld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could go for a Dukes of Hazard themed version of Formula De
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Discworld.

The problem is that there are, what, 4 or 5 Discworld games, and none of them are good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geschichte wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Discworld.

The problem is that there are, what, 4 or 5 Discworld games, and none of them are good.

Damn, I was hoping someone would fall for that.

But yeah, Wallace is utterly unsuited to this IP. I'm glad he lost the license. Hopefully we'll end up getting someone who actually knows how to use it properly rather than just sticking lots of pretty art on top of a generic game.

GURPS Discworld Roleplaying Game isn't too bad, mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Marion
Canada
Surrey
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love to see a Mad Max game.
Customize your vehicle and ride the wastelands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
A Princess of Mars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cormar wrote:

Car Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maldrak wrote:
A Princess of Mars

Modiphius is planning a John Carter board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one has said Harry Potter yet?

Wat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Benziger
United States
Oakdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AtStapley wrote:
No one has said Harry Potter yet?

Wat?

Wait 6 weeks Harry Potter Deck builder lets you play through the movies. It's got a positive response from Gen Con

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Benziger
United States
Oakdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cormar wrote:

LOve it! I could see gale force 9 doing a game like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
maldrak wrote:
A Princess of Mars

Modiphius is planning a John Carter board game.
Their promotional page still leaves me skeptical about having great games with the Barsoom setting. Still, I'll wait and see.

With a little more consideration, I think that The Master Mind of Mars would make a great theme for a hidden roles game. As would Synthetic Men of Mars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I. Withnail
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
Cormar wrote:

Car Wars

Dark Future was basically a Mad Max game, albeit not using the Mad Max IP. It came with road track sections and excellent plastic miniature cars that were customisable with a variety of weapons. Bikes too. The scale also suited conversion of standard size toy cars for use in the game, which was a superb design decision. Had a lot of fun with that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbenz32 wrote:
Cesspit wrote:
jbenz32 wrote:

Well have you played vast were one person plays as "the cave"? It would be interesting if one player was the Dinosaurs and out wrecking people's parks. Just something to think about.

You could break it down into three factions.

Dinosaurs
Eat all the Jurassic Park employees to win.

Dodgson Corporation
This is the corporation that Dennis Nedry ends up working for to steal the embryos and get off the island. If you manage to make it off the island with X embryos, then you win. (It's not hard to imagine that they had more people on the take the Nedry.)

Jurassic Park
Contain the dinosaurs and keep the evil Dodgson Corporation from getting away with your embryos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I disagree. Discworld: Ankh-Morpork is rather good in my opinion.

As to IP's.. They are not particularly a draw for me. I prefer when the settings are made up independently and not linked to some franchise.

I am surprised there are no James Bond games however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Benziger
United States
Oakdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Quote:

I disagree. Discworld: Ankh-Morpork is rather good in my opinion.

As to IP's.. They are not particularly a draw for me. I prefer when the settings are made up independently and not linked to some franchise.

I am surprised there are no James Bond games however.

No Ips in your game? so you never buy anything from fantasy flight? Yeah the James Bond seemed like a no brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

No Ips in your game? so you never buy anything from fantasy flight? Yeah the James Bond seemed like a no brainer.

I love FFG games and i do own a few IP games but if there was a choice id go for non-IP settings. Battlelore, Talisman etc.

I love the Star Wars card game but i would be just as happy if it was set in the TI3 universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Melnarik
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the Toxic Crusaders game Battle for Tromaville already exists, there's not many other worthy IPs left. Except Æon Flux. There could always be more of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Benziger
United States
Oakdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmy_Melnarik wrote:
Since the Toxic Crusaders game Battle for Tromaville already exists, there's not many other worthy IPs left. Except Æon Flux. There could always be more of that.

That would be interesting and more of "cult" following.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.