$20.00
$60.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Looking for a couch to crash on the first two days of the convention, or an advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
linh1987
Vietnam
Copenhagen K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,
I'm desperate. I just have my business trip booked to Sweden in the last minute and confirmed that I will have a few days free just in time for Essen. I tried to look around but the hotel prices are astronomical. Does anyone have a couch that I can crash for the first two days of the convention? I'm from Vietnam and Essen Spiel is practically my dream come true, so I'm trying to make it happens.

If I can't find accommodation, do you think it's worth it that I take an early flight to Dusseldorf, board a train to Essen then fly back late at the day? I'm thinking of making it the second day to avoid the first day's rush. And can I buy a single day ticket at the convention?

Thank you very much for reading!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is certainly possible to travel for just a day, depending on the connection to Sweden of course. It may just be a bit stressful, depending on how often you fly and how well you know German public transportation. It makes a difference if you are the kind of person who can arrive at the airport 15 minutes before boarding and still be relaxed ;-). (And no, don't do that, security in Düsseldorf can be busy and may take time).

You can buy single day tickets at the convention.

Have you looked in the cities around Essen? Public transportation is not bad in this area, at least if there is an S-Bahn/ U-Bahn/ Bahnhof near your hotel.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linh1987
Vietnam
Copenhagen K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your reply, Andreas. I forgot that nearby towns are pretty close to Essen as well. So you say that (for example) I can fly to Dusseldorf (I'm planning to fly from Salzburg as I will have a few days sightseeing there), book a room their and take daily train to Essen without much problem?
I'm not so familiar to German public transportation but I think it would not be that hard (I stayed in Europe for quite a while).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Giant Kumquat
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,
the hostel (http://www.jugendherberge.de/en/youth-hostels/essen443/portr...) had some free beds last time I checked. It's not in central Essen, and it's not the cheapest hostel ever, but the connection with the public transportation is quite good and it's definitely more reasonable that staying in hotels, price-wise.

You might also want to have a look at hospitality exchange platforms like BeWelcome or Couchsurfing.

I hope it helps!
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linh1987 wrote:
Thank you very much for your reply, Andreas. I forgot that nearby towns are pretty close to Essen as well. So you say that (for example) I can fly to Dusseldorf (I'm planning to fly from Salzburg as I will have a few days sightseeing there), book a room their and take daily train to Essen without much problem?
I'm not so familiar to German public transportation but I think it would not be that hard (I stayed in Europe for quite a while).


Düsseldorf is well connected with Essen, as is Dortmund, Mülheim(Ruhr), Bochum, Duisburg, Gelsenkirchen... (which are all closer to Essen than Düsseldorf). I usually stay in Düsseldorf at a friend's and it's not a problem to get to/from Essen, even later at night (11 pm wasn't a problem last year during the week).
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is possible to go by train from Düsseldorf. German public transportation is not more challenging than any other system in Europe, I'd just not like to be under time pressure while trying to figure out how to get from the Messe to the airport. The connection should work quite well, though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
linh1987 wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of making it the second day to avoid the first day's rush. And can I buy a single day ticket at the convention?


I´d advise for going on the first day (thursday). In my experience everyday it get´s more crowded. Thursdaay is my prefered day. A lot more in stock, not as crowded, the exhibitors still have energy...
Also, a single day ticket is no problem, just be there in time or get your ticket in advance because the line on thursday can get quite long.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linh1987
Vietnam
Copenhagen K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, thank you very much for your advices. I think I will stay at Dusseldorf if possible because it would be quite convenient for me to fly out from there. Is Essen Spiel near a central station or should I get a taxi everytime?

MrCleanOr wrote:
linh1987 wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of making it the second day to avoid the first day's rush. And can I buy a single day ticket at the convention?


I´d advise for going on the first day (thursday). In my experience everyday it get´s more crowded. Thursdaay is my prefered day. A lot more in stock, not as crowded, the exhibitors still have energy...
Also, a single day ticket is no problem, just be there in time or get your ticket in advance because the line on thursday can get quite long.


That's an valuable advice for me. I thought for single day ticket I need to buy it in place. Is there any where online that I can book the ticket in advance?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a tourism office outside the main train station in Essen where you can buy tickets. That's my plan!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linh1987 wrote:
Hey guys, thank you very much for your advices. I think I will stay at Dusseldorf if possible because it would be quite convenient for me to fly out from there. Is Essen Spiel near a central station or should I get a taxi everytime?

MrCleanOr wrote:
linh1987 wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of making it the second day to avoid the first day's rush. And can I buy a single day ticket at the convention?


I´d advise for going on the first day (thursday). In my experience everyday it get´s more crowded. Thursdaay is my prefered day. A lot more in stock, not as crowded, the exhibitors still have energy...
Also, a single day ticket is no problem, just be there in time or get your ticket in advance because the line on thursday can get quite long.


That's an valuable advice for me. I thought for single day ticket I need to buy it in place. Is there any where online that I can book the ticket in advance?


You can take the subway from the central station to the Messe where Spiel takes place, which takes 5-10 minutes.

You can order your ticket now and print it out yourself:
https://host.convey.de/esop_es2/bin/iisclt.cia?3&n&NextPage&...

That way you have the option to get a ticket that includes public transportation for only 2€ more, which will get you from Düsseldorf to Essen and back again. Otherwise you'd pay considerably more for the train.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One way to shave off hotel nights in Europe when everything is booked or prices are ridiculous is to travel by night train. If you're travelling from Salzburg, you can hop on a train at 10 pm, sleep on the train, arrive at someplace like Koblenz around 7 in the morning, and be in Essen by the time the doors open.

Prices for night trains vary (apparently there's a random number generator involved), but if you can book early, you can sometimes get excellent deals. Might be worth a look?

Have fun on your trip!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For hotels check also places nearby the main train station in Duisburg ("Hotel Friedrichs" always looks like it has free beds... it´s not an endorsement and there is an "ibis" close) and Mühlheim (there is some hotel I always see passing by i think). The train does not take long from Duisburg or Mühlheim.
If you check Airbnb for Duisburg check for the district names of "Neudorf", "Duissern", "Innenstadt". These are close by and almost always you can walk to the main station in under 15 minutes (or 1 or two subway/bus stations).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Keiner
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
linh1987 wrote:
Thank you very much for your reply, Andreas. I forgot that nearby towns are pretty close to Essen as well. So you say that (for example) I can fly to Dusseldorf (I'm planning to fly from Salzburg as I will have a few days sightseeing there), book a room their and take daily train to Essen without much problem?
I'm not so familiar to German public transportation but I think it would not be that hard (I stayed in Europe for quite a while).


Düsseldorf is well connected with Essen, as is Dortmund, Mülheim(Ruhr),...


..., Oberhausen (an always forgotten neighbourtown of Essen), ...

Locu wrote:
...Bochum, Duisburg, Gelsenkirchen... (which are all closer to Essen than Düsseldorf). I usually stay in Düsseldorf at a friend's and it's not a problem to get to/from Essen, even later at night (11 pm wasn't a problem last year during the week).


Located in Oberhausen is a very nice hostel called In Hostel Veritas.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check the hotels near the train station in Bochum (only a 12 minutes train ride from Essen main station).
There is also a youth hostel near the station...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lwaxana Troi
msg tools
Are you still looking? We live in Recklinghausen, which is a bit away but we can get to Essen easily from here by public transport. If you aren't allergic to cats I'm sure we can help you out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Estevo
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
Venha Monstro! Spadium Laser!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read through this thread...

Man, I gotta say... I'm proud to be a (tiny) part of this community!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meow San

Chaos Realm of the Soul
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bochum is rather near to essen and there's a saturday(15th oct) meetup for gamers there too incase you might wanna join,. it's called Dice and Mice Fringe. it starts from 4pm(16:00) until 12am(24:00), a free get-to-gather. you need to do a search for the thread on here n register if you think of joining. with that in mind you could try to get a room in bochum

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linh1987
Vietnam
Copenhagen K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,
Thank you very much for your inputs. I arrived in Sweden the last Saturday and I'm prepared to go to Essen next month (just got my Essen ticket with VRR booked). I'm booking a hotel near central Dusseldorf as well because I'm flying out the 14th if nothing changes. Looking forward to see you guys there
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linh1987
Vietnam
Copenhagen K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question though: Is travelling to/from Dusseldorf easy?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ulrich
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
Travelling from Düsseldorf to Essen is very easy.
Just go to Düsseldorf Main Station and catch one of several trains running to Essen Main Station.
The website of vrr has a journey planner.
http://www.vrr.de/en/index.html
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linh1987
Vietnam
Copenhagen K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much Dennis, but what I meant (my brain wasn't working yesterday) is travelling to/from Dusseldorf airport easy?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ulrich
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
Düsseldorf Airport has its own train station.
There are several trains and it takes about 10 min. to reach Düsseldorf main station by train.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
Germany
Essen
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To Düsseldorf Airport Station, you have to take the Sky Train.
Then you you can take - S 1, RE trains or RB trains direct to Essen HBF.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me for a slight hijacking of the thread, but I'm trying to figure out which type of pass to buy for the Spiel. Would transportation from Essen via Strassenbahn to Hauptbahnhof and then train to Duesseldorf airport be separate tickets or can one buy one ticket that covers both Strassenbahn and train?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
Germany
Essen
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is one Ticket -- a C , coast 11.80 Euro for one Trip - you buy it in Essen and stamp it in the Strassenbahn.
It is coasts the same from Düsseldorf Flughafen to any destination in Essen.

This linsk could help you to plan trips with in VRR.
http://www.evag.de/fahrplan/fahrplanauskunft.html?language=e...

http://efa.vrr.de/vrr/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en&itdLPxx...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.