Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Variants

Subject: Shuffling cards instead of gameboard tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Manuel Larios Alonso
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello! First of all, I'm sorry if this has been suggested before, but there are too many threads to read them all!
I don't own the game yet (I'm planning on buying it when the expansion comes out, so I can grab the two of them at the same time) so, if I say something that doesn't make sense, please forgive me.

My suggestion is to make a card deck to shuffle and use instead of shuffling the gameboard tiles, where each card would have the name of the tile (or something like "Blank" or things like that for generic tiles without name) and then you only have to take the corresponding tile and put it as per normal rules. Why? For two reasons:
1- It's easier to shuffle cards than big tiles, and when you add the tiles expansion it will be even more difficult to shuffle them all.
2- It makes it easy for modders to add their own gameboard tiles. Since you don't need to shuffle the tiles, you can add custom ones easily adding new cards to the deck (because, you know, would be silly to shuffle custom gameboard tiles with normal ones without noticing the difference). You can even create custom double-sided gameboard tiles that flip for whatever reason (for example, an event that destroys a planet could be flipped to reveal a tile with the planet destroyed, which would change the map layout, or something like that).

I'm new to the game, so I don't know if this suggestion is worth it or plain bad, but wanted to share it with you so I can see what you think about this
Thanks for your time! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
where each card would have the name of the tile (or something like "Blank" or things like that for generic tiles without name)
Every tile has a name. Even the completely empty sector from the base game has a name. The Lost Sector. The only tiles that don't have a name are the actual blanks you can order as the Dev Kit.

This is a fine suggestion. It's doesn't add or take away anything from the game really. It may reduce wear and tear slightly, but I don't think it's too hard to shuffle the tiles as they are.

How were you plan on doing this? Like sharpie on playing cards? That would be find and a cheap way to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it would be necessary really. The sector tiles aren't that hard to shuffle (even with the expansion added) and you only do it at the start of the game. If you were to use cards, you would be constantly searching through the pile of sector tiles to find the right one which would increase downtime in the game.

Also, if you are planning on creating your own sectors, then you would be better off buying at least one copy of the Dev Kit (available in the Geek Store) which will give you 3 blank sector tiles, or find a craft shop that sells the right thickness card (or glue a few sheets together to get the right thickness).

I do like the idea of double-sided tiles though, you could do some interesting things with those
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen J
Australia
Elizabeth Bay
New South Wales
flag msg tools
RAWRRRRRRRR
badge
RAWRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:

Also, if you are planning on creating your own sectors, then you would be better off buying at least one copy of the Dev Kit (available in the Geek Store) which will give you 3 blank sector tiles, or find a craft shop that sells the right thickness card (or glue a few sheets together to get the right thickness).

Where is the dev kit? I didn't see it searching through the BGG Store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, looks like it's out of stock for now. Hopefully more will be going up soon. Might be worth dropping Cody a message if you are desperate for some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
How were you plan on doing this? Like sharpie on playing cards? That would be find and a cheap way to do it.

When I need to make prototype cards, I always do the same (it is a really cheap and easy thing). I buy a deck of poker cards at any store (here in Spain is cheaper a deck of spanish cards, I don't know in the rest of the world) and a pack of sleeves, then I print all the cards on normal paper and cut them. Finally, just put every card in sleeves and insert the paper cards too (make sure that the paper card is a bit more tiny, so it's completely invisible from the back of the card). I've been using this technique all the time and works fine

AnimalMkIV wrote:
I'm not sure it would be necessary really. The sector tiles aren't that hard to shuffle (even with the expansion added) and you only do it at the start of the game. If you were to use cards, you would be constantly searching through the pile of sector tiles to find the right one which would increase downtime in the game.

I do like the idea of double-sided tiles though, you could do some interesting things with those

I don't like shuffling tiles, I think it takes too much time of preparation (maybe it's just me) and they tear faster. What you say about the downtime it's true, but if you have the tiles ordered alphabetically before the game (or divided in groups depending of the type of tile, like planets and so) it doesn't take much more time. Either way, it's a valid point and a one that I considered before sharing the idea, just thought it would be worth to have a game prepared faster. I didn't know the Dev Kit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos de Miguel
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It seems to me a wonderful idea:
- to avoid damaging the gameboard tiles
- for ease shuffling of tiles
- for "double sided" tiles
- for easy mixing the original base game (in english) with the upcoming expansion in Spanish

You can see the dev kit in https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameaccessory/186797/xia-lege...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
A strange, needless waste of time. Half a solution in need of a problem. IF you don't want to shuffle, just put them in 3 piles and pick one randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
krs666 wrote:
It seems to me a wonderful idea:
- to avoid damaging the gameboard tiles
- for ease shuffling of tiles
- for "double sided" tiles
- for easy mixing the original base game (in english) with the upcoming expansion in Spanish

You can see the dev kit in https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameaccessory/186797/xia-lege...

I didn't thought about mixing the english version with the spanish! It's true that the reverse is different, and the upgrade kit to spanish of the base game is only the manual and game cards, so this is an easy way to mix them both. Also, thanks for the link!

TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
A strange, needless waste of time. Half a solution in need of a problem. IF you don't want to shuffle, just put them in 3 piles and pick one randomly.

That's not a solution either, because if I divide all tiles in 3 groups and choose one randomly, I will have a much better control of what I'm about to draw because is 1/3 insteand of 1/x<21. My idea is just an alternative way for having the same control of the game with a bit of downtime in the gameplay (which I think it's minimal) and a bit of benefit, but if you think it isn't worth it, that's fine too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos de Miguel
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What if you use a d20 dice, instead of suffling cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
krs666 wrote:
What if you use a d20 dice, instead of suffling cards?

I think that's not a really good solution for two main reasons:
1- When you add the expansion tiles, you will need more than 20 numbers.
2- To know which number correspond to which tile you will have to look at a table or something and then search the corresponding tile , which I think introduces even more downtime than the deck cards (three steps instead of two). One option would be writing the numbers on the tiles, but I don't like the idea of messing them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing is a good solution when there's nothing to fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
nothing is a good solution when there's nothing to fix.

That shuffling tiles is not a problem for YOU doesn't mean that is not a problem for SOMEONE else. I don't like shuffling tiles for various reasons, so I shared an option for some people that might have the same problem. Some people like Carlos de Miguel have the base game and the expansion in different languages and the back of the tiles are different, so he can't shuffle them together and has a problem.
If you don't have any problem with shuffling tiles, then I don't know why you keep posting here, you aren't getting anything of value from this post as well as not contributing to the cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Some people like Carlos de Miguel have the base game and the expansion in different languages and the back of the tiles are different
The expansion hasn't been made yet, and nobody said that the backs are different, or that they are going to be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
Quote:
Some people like Carlos de Miguel have the base game and the expansion in different languages and the back of the tiles are different
The expansion hasn't been made yet, and nobody said that the backs are different, or that they are going to be different.

What I mean is that the back of the tiles are different in the spanish version and the english one because the title of the game has been translated too.
The game is called "Xia: Legends of a Drift System" and in the spanish version the title has been translated to "Xia: Leyendas de un Sistema a la Deriva". So, if he has the base game in english and buy the expansion in spanish, they will have different backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Montenegro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest reason this is a possible problem is if you have tiles you printed yourself, because unless you use the dev kit it is impossible to match, or if you are using double sided tiles. Again, both of those are for user created tiles.

I personally love the tiles created by the community for this game. But the ones that change, like the unstable planet that explodes, are a great reason to have another way to randomize the tiles. That way you don't need two tiles for one place in space. Just make it double sided.

So the big question is, if you are not using user created tiles, or just like to shuffle the tiles the usual way, why are you continuing to read this forum? You have nothing to add to this discussion, and this discussion can benefit you in no way, so why waste time even reading it?

Personally, I like the idea of putting the names on small chits and then having all the tiles face up off of the playing area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.