Subject: Attack spells rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Some attack spells have the result, "do x additional damage to the target."

If you fail the attack roll, you did 0 damage. 0+1 would be 1 damage? Or did you miss, so still 0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly certain you still do the additional damage even if the attack did none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
This is how we've played it, as I have seen no evidence of a "no hit=no effect" rule in MoM2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mxyzptlk wrote:

If you fail the attack roll, you did 0 damage. 0+1 would be 1 damage? Or did you miss, so still 0?

Does the app tell you to flip the spell card when you fail? I thought it just said to flip if you succeed, but I am not 100% certain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Mxyzptlk wrote:

Does the app tell you to flip the spell card when you fail? I thought it just said to flip if you succeed, but I am not 100% certain.

'Then flip the Spell you attacked with' is always the last thing in the spell dialogue after all possible success and fail effects. It's on its separate own line even, not to be confused to be part of the previous paragraph.

You used a spell (no matter if it was a success or not), then resolve the possible additional effects it had on the back. I'd also say that if those effects had monster take damage, it takes the damage regardless of previous success or fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I am not so sure. I attacked with a spell and failed the test. I did the fail result and it did not say to do the spell damage but I might have been able to do damage equal to my successes. Later I attacked and passed the test, the pass text explicitly said to deal the spell damage. I then figured not doing the spell damage when I first failed was correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rman wrote:
I am not so sure. I attacked with a spell and failed the test. I did the fail result and it did not say to do the spell damage but I might have been able to do damage equal to my successes. Later I attacked and passed the test, the pass text explicitly said to deal the spell damage. I then figured not doing the spell damage when I first failed was correct.

We're not talking about doing the spell damage on the front of the card. We're talking about Spells that have something like the following effect on the back:

"Your spell was especially potent. Deal 1 additional damage to the monster."

In that case, you would do that, even if the original attack did no damage. The 'additional' does not infer damage must have been already taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.