GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,806 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

The Great War 1914-1918» Forums » Rules

Subject: British Economic Attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Juneau
msg tools
As the rules stand, British restricted economic attacks, simulating the blockade of German ports, is useless. At 2 NRCs a pop and with the Central Powers player able to spend 1 to defend, the best the Entente player can eliminate is 1 German NRC. In other words, the Entente player breaks even or fights a losing economic war.

I have thought of several ideas to fix this. One would be to allow the Entente to make Unrestricted attacks, but with no diplomatic risk. This might seem to unbalance the game in other direction, so I thought of three other solutions. 1) Allow the Entente to make restricted economic attacks at no NRC cost. 2) Prohibit the Central Powers player from reducing the die roll by spending 1 NRC. 2) Allow the Entente to make unrestricted attacks but add diplomatic consequences. Instead of U.S. entry, if after five turns the correct number is rolled, the U.S. follows strict neutrality for the rest of the game. This would allow the Central Powers player to retaliate without fear of U.S. intervention.

Has anyone else experimented with this rule? Even in the designer notes, it is admitted that the economic warfare rules are a weak point in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools

Alas, it seems that One Small Step didn't follow the BGG forums, apart from the very reliable Chris Fawcett on the Holy Roman Empire game...

For what is worth, I prefer your first option, simple and fast

By the way, there is, at least, a missing counter acknowledged by the producer (a french fleet), there will be a pdf or jpg to let us make our own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a pickle
JJ68 wrote:
As the rules stand, British restricted economic attacks, simulating the blockade of German ports, is useless. At 2 NRCs a pop and with the Central Powers player able to spend 1 to defend, the best the Entente player can eliminate is 1 German NRC. In other words, the Entente player breaks even or fights a losing economic war.
I don't have experience of the game, but the blockade wasn't simply naval - economic attrition was the policy. From 1916 onwards Britain purchased 85% of the entire Norwegian herring catch (pickled) each year in order to deny it to Germany. This was a rather expensive policy considering that relatively few people in Britain were prepared to eat them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.