Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems pretty bad

TL;DR - one of the major shipping companies in the world (if you've ever seen a container ship or watched a train roll by, you'll have seen their company name) has gone bankrupt. At the moment, ships are stopped at sea, ports won't unload the ships at dock (no way to get paid for it), etc.

Presumption is something like 10-15% of US holiday stock unable to get to the stores in time, resulting in a rather massive ripple effect across the economy.

Discuss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's minor in comparison. But like the scare headlines over the last few days about the monster hurricane that was actually a rain storm, the media yet again is desperate for you to look and click at their pages. So the headlines often have nothing to do with the facts.

Hanjin is the 7th largest container shipper and actually only carries less than 8% of the pacific shipping to us, not the world shipping nor does that include air freight, which is huge. So while it's a negative, it's not collapse the economy negative. As a retailer for 25 years I counted on Xmas sales but in reality the after Xmas numbers were always bigger in my segment. So my guess is, worst case, some people will be unable to get a new iPhone of exploding Samsung or the latest in Chinese made fashion products. But the good shit will still be here because that's usually made in America or Europe.

Kickstarters may be delayed though depending on how stupid the game company is. The smart ones ship their new releases air freight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
fortunately our economy isnt resource based
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's going to be rough on the crew.

And likely shipping costs will rise for a long time. Which changes the equation of having things made in china vs localy.

The article (admittedly zerohedge) relates some customers quotes have risen from $700 to $2000 per container. For small items like board games, that's probably a minimal rise. For larger items, it will be more significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
OMFG consumers will have to wait a couple months to get their cheap plastic crap? Retailers will find different cheap crap to sell?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hanjin-shipping-bankruptcy-furth...

The WSJ article claims tgere is 30% more shipping capacity than cargo.

Maybe we will see more bankruptcies in that sector.

How can the Republic survive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
The failures of the monetary system, coming soon to a country near you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
OMFG consumers will have to wait a couple months to get their cheap plastic crap? Retailers will find different cheap crap to sell?

I'll try to let the irony of posting this on a boardgame site pass...

Seriously, we're all okay debating energy needs and humanitarian crisis and climate change and all that, but...

I mean, nobody ever said I wouldn't get my boardgames by Christmas. GOOD GODS, somebody has got to DO something!

THESE BITCOINS AREN'T GOING TO SPEND THEMSELVES!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG!! Some obese consumerist merkins aren't going to be able to shop for a day. They will just have to eat the smalliest that should keep them going for a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
XanderF wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Seriously, we're all okay debating energy needs and humanitarian crisis and climate change and all that, but...

I mean, nobody ever said I wouldn't get my boardgames by Christmas. GOOD GODS, somebody has got to DO something!

You know....

I was thinking about this....

I haven't bought a game in a long damn time.

The last game I bought was 1817 from Deep Thought Games.

I'm on a god damned 10 month waiting list. There hasn't been a good game released in months. I DON'T MIND A 10 MONTH WAITING LIST FOR A GOOD GAME.

FUCK YOU KICKSTARTER.

FUCK YOU FOR RUINING OUR INDUSTRY WITH CRAP ONLY DW AND SLATER WOULD LIKE.

LIGHTRIDER DOESN'T EVEN PLAY GAMES. HE'S A FUCKING ROBO-POSTER.

AND JUST FOR GOOD MEASURE: KISS MY ASS SLATER

GOLDEN AGE OF GAMES? KISS MY ASS. MY ASS!

IF ONLY KICKSTARTER WOULD DECLARE BANKRUPCY I COULD SLEEP.

FUCK YOU KICKSTARTER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
At the moment, ships are stopped at sea, ports won't unload the ships at dock (no way to get paid for it), etc.

Pretty sure the shipment for Total War is one one of those stalled ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinese Factory Worker Can't Believe The Shit He Makes For Americans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter has put out some good games, I'm sure everyone can agree to thst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

You know....

I was thinking about this....

I haven't bought a game in a long damn time.

The last game I bought was 1817 from Deep Thought Games.

I'm on a god damned 10 month waiting list. There hasn't been a good game released in months. I DON'T MIND A 10 MONTH WAITING LIST FOR A GOOD GAME.

FUCK YOU KICKSTARTER.

FUCK YOU FOR RUINING OUR INDUSTRY WITH CRAP ONLY DW AND SLATER WOULD LIKE.

LIGHTRIDER DOESN'T EVEN PLAY GAMES. HE'S A FUCKING ROBO-POSTER.

AND JUST FOR GOOD MEASURE: KISS MY ASS SLATER

GOLDEN AGE OF GAMES? KISS MY ASS. MY ASS!

IF ONLY KICKSTARTER WOULD DECLARE BANKRUPCY I COULD SLEEP.

FUCK YOU KICKSTARTER!
Hey, don't blame me I have only brought one new game (and that was reduced) in the last 30 years (I exclude miniature wargames).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb

slatersteven wrote:
Hey, don't blame me I have only brought one new game (and that was reduced) in the last 30 years (I exclude miniature wargames).

The 2am knock of the consumerist police is coming to your door - prepare for room 101.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Games that only Slater and DW would buy? Excuse me Koldie, but Slater isn't a gamer. I know that because he spends all his awake time posting here. Plus the one game he does own he got from Jarred on a dare and then promptly broke his promise to not post the instant the game arrived.

Probably sold it on Ebay the next day.

I have two Kickstarter games. One was $20 and is a solid 5. The other has been in the shrink for 18 months.

The smart game companies are the ones like Games Workshop who saw the weak link after the Pan Am 103 Lockerbie tragedy. That plane had a full air freight container of new releases bound for the US market so they quickly set up shop in Maryland, ensuring the terrorists would not stop 13 year olds from buying their overpriced products. Overall I still think this is about as insignificant as the rainstorm along the Eastern Seaboard and the cries of fear from pathetic Oklahoman's who are convinced their state will be swallowed completely by one huge fracking sinkhole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not insignificant to the crews who could be stranded at sea for weeks, let alone go unpaid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
It's not insignificant to the crews who could be stranded at sea for weeks, let alone go unpaid.

There are ways to get crew off the boat at sea, also these people cross oceans on boats for a living they can live just fine for an extended timet, they may or may not get paid, not possible to know at this point and At some point someone will purchase Hanjin or make an arrangement to deliver the cargo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

There are ways to get crew off the boat at sea, also these people cross oceans on boats for a living they can live just fine for an extended timet, they may or may not get paid, not possible to know at this point and At some point someone will purchase Hanjin or make an arrangement to deliver the cargo.

I would imagine they're all union and getting paid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
Another reason games should be printed in Germany.(A very old callback)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

Modern sailors are the ultimate migrant laborers, and they're about as far from union as you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

Modern sailors are the ultimate migrant laborers, and they're about as far from union as you can get.

*shrugs.* I may know different sailors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
toku42 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

You may, but I guarantee you the Korean ones are at the bottom of the labour rights pole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
toku42 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

You probably know domestic sailors, not the guys crewing these giant international container ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
toku42 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

Do you know Merchant Mariners? They're an exception, not the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a job for a while which dealt with arranging international shipping. I always dealt with the number two company the Mediterranean Shipping Co. MSC monopolized household goods and the number 1 company did non-household goods. Hanjin I'd never even heard of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.