$20.00
$60.00
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In my copy of 2nd ed. Runebound some decks became too big to manage due to expansions so I understand why they added set rules in 3rd. That said - I find this system too fiddly at setup so decided to just dump the cards into their decks (and maybe with future expansions create alternative decks to choose at setup). I'm curious to know how do you feel about this:
Poll
How do you use skills/assets cards from the expansion?
I take out one base set and add expansion's in its place
I add the cards to the base set without removing any
      20 answers
Poll created by borsook
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Rules were added to mantain the internal balance of the decks and for many more reasons that were already long explained on these boards (to avoid the clogging of markets with items not suitable for the moment of the game you're at, for example) so I'd suggest not to put all cards in one deck
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Rules were added to mantain the internal balance of the decks and for many more reasons that were already long explained on these boards (to avoid the clogging of markets with items not suitable for the moment of the game you're at, for example) so I'd suggest not to put all cards in one deck

But that's not really the issue. I understand the purpose of the rules, I am not saying they are bad. I am just saying that no way am I going to sort out two decks of cards into 11 smaller decks to choose the sets and shuffle them. So yes, I am going to use all the cards and I am just curious how many other people do that.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will keep the balance of adventure cards, mix all skill cards, and maybe abide to equipment rules. I'll adjust my policy if fun factor of the game gets broken.

This is your board game so you can do whatever you want with it. That said remember you can keep one deck setup for numerous plays, then change it up. You are not forced to re-assemble your deck each time. Just wait till stuff you see coming up gets old.

I strongly suggest not mixing all adventure cards together, since by doing that you will see your scenario cards less often, so you'll be getting more use out of these.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
I will keep the balance of adventure cards, mix all skill cards, and maybe abide to equipment rules. I'll adjust my policy if fun factor of the game gets broken.

This is your board game so you can do whatever you want with it. That said remember you can keep one deck setup for numerous plays, then change it up. You are not forced to re-assemble your deck each time. Just wait till stuff you see coming up gets old.

I strongly suggest not mixing all adventure cards together, since by doing that you will see your scenario cards less often, so you'll be getting more use out of these.

As per adventure cards- yes, I thought the same, also, with them it is a tiny bit easier, as you can remove 5 cards, but any cards, instead of those belonging a one of six specific sets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah keeping the 20 random and 10 scenario card balance seems a good thing to do but I really don't look forward to having to separate all those skill and item decks before and efter each play... I wonder if just bulking up those smaller decks will create that much of an inbalance issue.... Already feeling sad I even bought the expansion packs now, in typical ffg style the bad news only comes when opening the box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game yesterday with all the shop items mixed in together (from the first expansion), and we ended up with a LOT of Goods (grey cards) in the market towards the end of the game (when they're needed least).

I previously had thought that mixing everything together wouldn't be too much of an issue, but now I'm rethinking it. :/
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I played a game yesterday with all the shop items mixed in together (from the first expansion), and we ended up with a LOT of Goods (grey cards) in the market towards the end of the game (when they're needed least).

I previously had thought that mixing everything together wouldn't be too much of an issue, but now I'm rethinking it. :/

Not sure I remember what is in each set, but I think there are 1-2 goods per each, so even without mixing in the expansion you would have probably a lot of them, might be just the luck of the draw. But it is a good point, worth investigating.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not really sure why people have a problem with this.

When you get the expansion, swap in the new sets. Then play with those sets until you feel a need for variety and switch the other sets back in. You don't really need to sort the decks every play. Not only does this preserve the intended balance of card decks, but it also keeps some of the cards fresh for when you do finally swap them back in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do a full custom yourself and always play with that set without bothering to mix in/etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Not really sure why people have a problem with this.

When you get the expansion, swap in the new sets. Then play with those sets until you feel a need for variety and switch the other sets back in. You don't really need to sort the decks every play. Not only does this preserve the intended balance of card decks, but it also keeps some of the cards fresh for when you do finally swap them back in.

I can't speak for anybody else - but personally - which set should I swap out? That's a really hard decision. I would need to either roll a die or go through all the cards agonizing over it. And - even if done sporadically sorting into the 6 mini sets is a bummer. Also, I like to have the skill deck bigger. Even with added cards we still go through all of them and have to reshuffle, I would love it to be big enough so that a reshuffling the discard pile would not happen. Also - I don't really see a downside to this. The bigger sets seem varied enough, no card type appear more often than others and you really don't know what you're going to draw next.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.