Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the start of the game, you have no "Sail" crew on your ship. On the Ship Sheet there is a Sail Icon beside 2, 3, and 4. For a moment we thought the speed was zero, but the "must move each turn" rule convinced us it had to be at least 1. Because of the Sail icons beside the 2,3, and 4, we assumed you got those speeds as you added "Sail" crew (or built buildings with the Sail Icon. )

But, given the scarcity of Sail Icons, I now wonder if the minimum speed should be 2, and that each Icon from crew, buildings or where-ever, takes you up an additional speed.

Finally, is the maximum speed 4, or does it top out there as that's the furthest apart any two regions are on the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You start with 2 movement
Quote:
Rulebook pg 3. Place one cube just before the "2" on the movement track

As you gain crew with sails, you increase the movement as long as they are on-deck. If the go below deck, then you decrease the movement accordingly (and then of course, increase it when they are back on deck)

Yes, Max is 4
Quote:
Rulebook pg 20. Each crew member with this symbol "on deck" increases the ship +1 speed (up to a maximum speed of 4)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That'll change the game, a LOT. We had speed 1, and 1 of the 3 of us got 2 "Sail"ors, and was speed 3. Zooming all around, leaving us standing still....

We'll do that better next time, that's for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice (both with only 2 players) so it's easier to recruit crew and max out at 4 pretty quickly. Movement never was an issue. I do recommend, especially if playing with 2, to use the Close Quarters variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Bock
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I like my beer like I like my board games...
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
You start with 2 movement
Quote:
Rulebook pg 3. Place one cube just before the "2" on the movement track

Ahh, thanks! We also missed that line during setup (but thankfully we just assumed base speed was 2). That would have been rough at just 1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.