Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my reading of the message boards I have come up with the following rules that are not entirely clear from the rule book, are these understandings correct?

1. You MUST move or surface and then you MAY activate one (and only one) system.

2. You may not activate a system BEFORE moving.

3. Triggering a mine is not activating a system and thus, can be done at any time (even on a your opponent's turn).

4. When a torpedo hits a mine (directly or indirectly) it destroys it but does not trigger it.

5. Silence allows you to move 0-4 spaces. If you move 0 spaces you do not charge or break a system, if you move 1-4 spaces you charge and break a system (this is in addition to the charge and break you performed on your move action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on MY readings... This is how we play turn by turn...

1) correct

2) must always move, but you may activate a system before as long as your last turn did not end in an activation.

3) yeah, still not clear on this. It seems from another designer thread that activating a mine IS an activation and then follows rule 2. But not sure.

4) correct... But effects of the torpedo still effect subs in vicinity

5) hmmmm not sure.

-m
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure about 2? That would mean you have to remember how you ended each round. Seems a bit clunky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The turn-based rules appear to be hazy on the timing of activations - they only mention raising your fist and STOPping play, which only applies to real-time games.

As I've been playing it, activation IS a turn, since you can't activate in the RT version until you're free to take a move (after the last move finishes, with First Mate and Engineer giving the OK that they've done their part).

If there's a place in the manual or an official FAQ that clarifies how system activations work in turn-based mode, I'd love to be shown that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For number 5, in my opinion, I think no matter how many steps you move, you HAVE TO charge one and break one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dmczyn wrote:
For number 5, in my opinion, I think no matter how many steps you move, you HAVE TO charge one and break one.

Agreed and that is also how it reads in the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yichen Lin
msg tools
for the first question, someone said you can not activate a system after surfacing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Macatula
msg tools
1. I do not believe any actions can be taken after surfacing.
2. I believe you may activate as many systems as you like provided you had already invested enough charges in each of them. This makes moving first more advantageous in some situations because then you may charge one then activate immediately (if full) after--though this means you will be in a different location because you had moved; in other situations, it may be more advantageous to activate before moving, e.g., when you find out that the enemy submarine is within your vicinity and you now want to drop a mine nearby. I really believe it doesn't matter when you activate a system relative to before or after moving because both provide strengths and weaknesses.
3. I agree that triggering a mine is not activating a system and can be done anytime (especially during the opponent's turn), but I also do not feel that each turn is limited to one system activation (see #2). Provided you spent enough turns charging up all systems, you should be able to deploy however many systems whenever on your turn.
4. This has never occurred to me, but I think I am okay with any of the four possibilities: [1] torpedo does not trigger mine, [2] torpedo destroys mine, [3] torpedo triggers mine and damage is cumulative (if sub was direct hit in one and indirect hit of another, it would be 2 + 1 = 3 damage), [4] torpedo triggers mine and damage is higher of two (if sub was direct hit in one and indirect hit of another, it would be 2 damage); just be consistent with your players.
5. I did not realize we were supposed to charge and break a system per move. It almost seems like silence traveling 4 spaces can charge up another silence very quickly. I feel like silence causes no charges, but could cause breaks. When we play, a charge is merely another action and does not take on the same consequences of a move.

I hate to do this, but I'm going to add another question:

6. Sub1 surfaces (giving Sub2 3x free turns); Sub2 takes 2x free turns; Sub2 surfaces; does Sub1 no longer get 3x free turns? The rules state that as soon as the second submarine surfaces, they forfeit their remaining free turns, and gameplay continues as normal. This indicates to me that they Sub2 was able to get away with surfacing at a cost of only one turn. It's very strategic, but I still feel like it's balanced because it really forces both subs to try to stay underwater for as long as possible, which I think improves gameplay because frequent resurfacing makes tracking particularly difficult and often frustrating. Shorter paths maintain unreasonable possibilities, and the game takes way way too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandal Thorne
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
So a somewhat more,re important question. When surfacing during the turn based game, does the captain erase their old track? Kinda important since you aren't allowed to retrace your old track and there are only 4 sectors in the turn-based version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, surfacing always erases your travel history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Please take a look at the errata thread: Summary of english rules errata from bgg threads

A lot of these are clarified there and/or in the revised rules (which are unfortunately not yet available on-line).

1. Correct, only activate one system.
2. Correct, cannot activate before moving.
3. Triggering a mine IS activating a system.
4. Correct (from the errata thread, not the new rules).
5. Correct (from the errata thread, not the new rules).

And I agree with the issue about surfacing, which is not addressed in the revised rules. I'll be house-ruling that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.