1822: The Railways of Great Britain» Forums » General

Subject: Import into UK rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Cutforth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am intending to import several copies into the UK in the expectation that sharing postage and import costs will make the game more affordable. Especially given the state of the £-$ exchange rate. Any takers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be feasible to include non-UK Europeans in such a group import?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow it seems unfair that Britons can't afford the Railways of Great Britain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please.

Very timely, I've just returned from a tour of the All-a-Board website and was stopped in my tracks by the postage costs.

Count me in for a copy of 1822 in a bulk order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Potentially interested pending the final cost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Same here. I expect it might still cost a few quid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Lust
Belgium
Ieper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unic wrote:
Would it be feasible to include non-UK Europeans in such a group import?

Seconded. Shipping costs from the UK to mainland Europe are hopefully a bit less than from the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Lime Turtle wrote:
I am intending to import several copies into the UK in the expectation that sharing postage and import costs will make the game more affordable. Especially given the state of the £-$ exchange rate. Any takers?

I'm in, yes. I've been wanting it but balked at the postage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules D
United Kingdom
Annan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Cutforth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
From the responses below, I'd guess that I'd be looking at importing around 10 copies. Potentially two (or many more?) of which might go on to Europe.
So the cost for around that number of copies:

$160 US = £121 UK. Today (this is fairly stable I think at the moment)
US shipping maybe £10 - £15 / copy
UK customs maybe £10 / copy
Currency costs maybe £5 / copy
Onward postage in UK £6.50 / copy using economy courier

Total cost might as well say £160.
With luck you'll get change from that - maybe even more than £10 change.
But there is a risk that UK customs will charge more and the costs could therefore go up. Though hopefully not by more than £5 or £10.

Onward transmission to Europe....
Add a few £ for additional currency costs
Double the cost of the courier.
Note that the cost for transmission to Europe doesn't change much if I post out copies individually, or around 10 in a box. So you Europeans could collaborate and get multiple copies delivered to a central address in Europe for onward transmission. (A few weeks too late for Essen this year probably, sorry)
So say £170 UK = E200 Euros

Some of the postage and customs costs are fixed rather than variable, so the more I import, the cheaper it gets per copy.

I will aim to get an order in before the end of September, so those of you that are still keen please let me know.

When I imported the play test copies everyone paid me and I paid AAG, customs etc. This is probably the easiest way to do it, assuming that you're all happy to give me your money. I am happy to speculatively buy a few additional copies, but cannot afford to pay for many up front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in. Sent you a PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules D
United Kingdom
Annan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lime Turtle wrote:
From the responses below, I'd guess that I'd be looking at importing around 10 copies. Potentially two (or many more?) of which might go on to Europe.

But there is a risk that UK customs will charge more and the costs could therefore go up. Though hopefully not by more than £5 or £10.

Note that the cost for transmission to Europe doesn't change much if I post out copies individually, or around 10 in a box. So you Europeans could collaborate and get multiple copies delivered to a central address in Europe for onward transmission. (A few weeks too late for Essen this year probably, sorry)

Some of the postage and customs costs are fixed rather than variable, so the more I import, the cheaper it gets per copy.

I will aim to get an order in before the end of September, so those of you that are still keen please let me know.

When I imported the play test copies everyone paid me and I paid AAG, customs etc. This is probably the easiest way to do it, assuming that you're all happy to give me your money. I am happy to speculatively buy a few additional copies, but cannot afford to pay for many up front.

Payday for me is the last thursday of the month (I'm a teacher) so 29th of September. Hope this is still alright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Cutforth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kallistosprom wrote:
Lime Turtle wrote:

Payday for me is the last thursday of the month (I'm a teacher) so 29th of September. Hope this is still alright.

I expect that I'll get around to this in the next week or two and that Scott (AAG) will invoice me shortly after that. So I'd work on the basis that I'll need payment around the end of sept / early oct - so thats good for your cash flow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules D
United Kingdom
Annan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Cutforth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
So in summary

Pieter Lust
David Damerell
Jules D
Ed James

Have all confirmed definite interest

Ola Mikail Hansson
Phil Davies
James

Have all implied interest
Total 7 copies.

I have pre-existing requests for 3 or 4 copies, and I'll be getting 10 (max parcel weight). So assuming that you are all still keen, or only one of you drops out, that is perfect.
Cost will be as previously advertised £160 +/- around £10 (subject to import duties) per copy. For onward shipment to Europe it will be a little more. I won't know the import cost until I get the bill after they've arrived in customs and I'm therefore committed to paying whatever customs decide to ask for.
The cost is $160 USD = £125 + £11 shipping + c£10 customs + £6.50 UK postage (collect plus, economy) + <£5 for currency costs.

I'll send private messages to you all with my payment details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
I'm going to have to bow out, Essen and holidays means this has to go on the back burner for the time being, sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm out too. Too many other expenses currently, and competing with the Essen releases for my budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Cutforth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lime Turtle wrote:
So in summary

Pieter Lust
David Damerell
Jules D
Ed James

Have all confirmed definite interest

Ola Mikail Hansson
Phil Davies
James

Have all implied interest
Total 7 copies.

I have pre-existing requests for 3 or 4 copies, and I'll be getting 10 (max parcel weight). So assuming that you are all still keen, or only one of you drops out, that is perfect.
Cost will be as previously advertised £160 +/- around £10 (subject to import duties) per copy. For onward shipment to Europe it will be a little more. I won't know the import cost until I get the bill after they've arrived in customs and I'm therefore committed to paying whatever customs decide to ask for.
The cost is $160 USD = £125 + £11 shipping + c£10 customs + £6.50 UK postage (collect plus, economy) + <£5 for currency costs.

I'll send private messages to you all with my payment details.

I have just sent a private message to everyone that I believe to be interested in obtaining a copy. If you want a copy, but haven't received a demand for money shout up.
I am expecting to import 10 copies, but only have 9 buyers. The last copy will be for me, since I don't have a proper copy yet - just the proof check copy. But if someone wants it I'll sell and get my proper copy another time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Cutforth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just to keep you all up to date.

As of friday (14/10/2016) morning, I had received payment from everyone on this list apart from Pieter Lust. On that basis I've paid AAG, and the parcel has already been shipped. It is currently sat at a USPS distribution centre. No ETA as yet, I'll keep you all updated with genuine news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Cutforth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
And a further update.

At lunchtime today (21/10/16), the parcel arrived at UK customs.
There will now be a slight delay whilst our customs officials decide how much duty is payable - hopefully only a week or three.
I believe that they use a random number generating algorithm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Cutforth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Last update....

I'm expecting delivery of the parcel tomorrow.
Please send me your postal addresses, by PM, when convenient, and I'll send them out. Earliest I'll send is Saturday, no rush from my perspective, I don't mind holding onto your copy for a week or two if you're moving home, or away from home or whatever and can't take immediate delivery.
Good news is that the customs cost was less than I antipated, so the balancing payment will be from me to you. Not sure how much yet - I'll work that out and return money over the weekend or possibly Monday. But it won't be enough to retire on, so don't get excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moore
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are any of these still available or did they all get sold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.