Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What we have here is the tale of two French Grognards, Roberte and Gerarde. They grew up in same village outside of Marseilles. Bitter rivals from the earliest of age. Something they would not outgrow and would only become more dark and hateful with each year that passed.

The day would come for each of them to strike out and seek the fortune and glory, being promised at the time to young Frenchmen, with a life in the military.

Even then, their contempt for one another refused to settle, and would follow them wherever they went.

Mother France or the vastness of Napoleon's spreading empire was not enough to keep them separated. Life was somehow more interesting when they found themselves in the same room. Cursing at each other. Challenging one another, taking it outside..

Their military lives took different paths early, Gerarde was sent to take Italy, while Roberte was assigned to the Reserve.

Gerarde become a fierce swordsman and reckless gambler, while Roberte worked to become a model officer, longing for the attention and approval of their great Emperor and the generals who surrounded him.

Ironically it was his rivalry with Gerarde, and their inability to go very long without running into each other, that would keep him from rising through the ranks.

Too many duels, drinking bouts,and black eyes. Each of them followed and haunted by the vicious rumors they spread about each other. They challenged each others honor to all who would listen. This kept them overlooked for promotions and decorations that were being handed about so readily at the time.

They found themselves uninvited to major events, Great Balls, and Weddings.

They took no lesson from any of it. A stubbornness bred in them, that traced back to their village, their families, a pride that had doomed so many men before them. Those who paid attention would swear that one would more likely kill the other than the grapeshot from a British cannon. Roberte was said to carry a pistol with Gerarde's initials carved into the handle.

The years wore on, battles fought across many fronts, in countries far from from home, and slowly they were awarded promotions and decorations for their commitment.

They both took wives.

Their rivalry refused to settle. One night they found themselves each deployed to Saxony. Run-in's with them did not feel coincidental nor avoidable, it was if they were guided. Like the world simply was not big enough. In Saxony harsh-words turned to drawn-swords in the blink of an eye. Roberte was badly wounded and forced to miss the great victory at Jena, while mending in a hospital bed. Swearing his revenge.

The following year Gerarde would be taken prisoner by the Russians in Eylau. Mounting a dramatic escape and becoming a bit of a hero throughout the ranks.

Roberte seethed.

As the Grande Armee marched toward Russia, Gerarde health became more and more of an issue. Lung fever tormented him and he grew old before his time.

Both men fought the Battle of Wargram. Marched onward into Russia and from different fronts saw the great dream begin to crack and crumble. In a flurry of snow-flake, Rifle-fire and destruction. By the time they found themselves in Leipzig they had witnessed and survived more human loss and misery than they would ever care to recount.

Gerarde's lung-fever took him from the front-lines and forced him into retirement.

Once back in Paris, his first order of business upon release from the hospital was to find Roberte's wife, Yvette and to take her as his own.
It would be an awful and unfair final blow in their life-long duel.

Roberte has the indisgression broken to him while still off holding back the onrushing armies, hungry for France.

Not a day went by where he did not feel broken-hearted and utterly hunted.

He swore a revenge that was not to be. Terribly wounded while facing the Sixth Coalition, he lost an eye, an army and an emperor that he loved. His military career was over

Though it was not to be. Badly wounded in the Battle of Leipzig, Roberte was also sent home to France and nursed back to health, but his military career was over.

Neither he nor Gerarde would witness Napoleon's triumphant return a year later. They would only read about his final stand in Belgium on that fateful day in June.

They were not heroes, but they were alive and by all accounts that alone was a most unexpected result. They had found a way not only to survive two decades of warfare, but also each other.

..and they never crossed paths again.

Roberte (red)
Legion of Honor (3 levels)
N: 73
G: 192
E: 186
M: (Paris) 437
M: (Purse) 61 (Total 498)
H: 15
F: 9
(Divorced)

Gerarde
Legion of Honor: 2 levels
N: 55
G: 176
E: 176
M: (Paris) 201
M: (Purse) 171 (Total 372)
H: 0
C: 8
F: 12
(Wife + Mistress)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds similar to the plot to the movie "The Duellists".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075968/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Not saying it's a bad thing - I just found the similarities amusing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh totally. One of my absolute favorites. Usually when I solo this I do so with 2 characters and hope for a rivalry such as there's to emerge, and the stars truly aligned for this play.

Thanks for reading!

Noonespecial wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RawDealDemo wrote:
Oh totally. One of my absolute favorites. Usually when I solo this I do so with 2 characters and hope for a rivalry such as there's to emerge, and the stars truly aligned for this play.

Thanks for reading!

Noonespecial wrote:

I enjoyed reading it. My interest in this game has increased realizing (with your amazing narrative example) that I, too, could play a pair of characters similar to "The Duellists" if I got this game. Now I am simply wondering why I didn't think about it before!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.