BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Thinking about Christmas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, I know, it's early.blush But all the fun is in the research for games. I'm looking for three board games for my kids :

14 year old girl : loves any game, apart from Raptor, that she hates !!! Not too complicated or long, as the 9 year old plays with us.Likes the challenges of two player games.

11 year old boy, less enthusiastic about games. Mad about surfing, judo and rugby.

9 year old : Loves cooking, reading recipes, and food in general. Likes beautiful looking games with a 3d aspect .

I'm looking for board games that are quite imposing , rather than card games.

Many thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a stab at the 9 year old - Ala Carte is a cooking themed dexterity game. Visually appealing and integrates the theme perfectly.

The 11 year old - tough one, maybe Ghost Stories (Kung fu based cooperative). It can b really tough so if he's discouraged easily this may not be ideal.

The 14 year old may enjoy the woefully out of print Akrotiri. Clever tile laying game about exploration. Not too difficult for the 9 year olD.

One that may be a wonderful fit for them all is Junk Art. Visually appealing, easy to learn. My after school game club loves it. Even the non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World could be good for your son. Not related to his sporting interests, but I think I would be bored by a game that tried to emulate surfing, rugby, or judo.

For all 3 of your kids, here are some ideas:
Short games, less than 45 minutes:
Incan Gold - push your luck game
FUSE or Escape: The Curse of the Temple realtime dice rolling cooperative games
Karuba

Classics
Catan
Alhambra
Stone Age

3d element
Pueblo
Torres
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great start ! Keep going, guys !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel of The Dice Tower just recently reviewed a new surfing game that he liked. I believe his daughter did too and the only major complaint I remember was that the scoring was wonky. I'm sorry, the name escapes me and I'm not in position to search for it at the moment, but it should be easy enough to find searching the guild here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixelman wrote:
Tom Vasel of The Dice Tower just recently reviewed a new surfing game that he liked. I believe his daughter did too and the only major complaint I remember was that the scoring was wonky. I'm sorry, the name escapes me and I'm not in position to search for it at the moment, but it should be easy enough to find searching the guild here.

Tavarua
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tavarua looks perfect for my son. He would love war games like Memoir '44. They pose a moral dilemma for me .....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Get your boy a Rugby ball. Or Kendo lessons.

For your girls I'll recommend The Adventurers Temple of Chac if you can find it, or Cleopatra and the Society of Architects. Both are old, but you may be able to pick up copies used and both are larger than life games.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A la Carte would be perfect for your cooking girl. If she likes cookbooks, look into anything by DK publishing -- they do beautiful cookbooks. my nephew loves cooking and he went to a cooking camp at age 9 or so, he had a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou for your thoughtful posts. Yes, Mindy, the DK cookery books are fab. My son is saving up his pocket money for a ..... Thermomix mixer. So,far, he has ten Euros !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karuba sounds like a winner for the eldest, if the 9 year old doesn't mind losing (my 8 year old adores the game but rarely does well). Great side-by-side play.

No 3D but Tem-Purra has been a great hit is pretty and is food themed.

The 11 year old might benefit from something quick like Rumble in the House or Welcome to the Dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuisine a la Card is a fun food themed deck builder. You are a chef competing for judges.

Edit: just re-read your post and realized you wanted more imposing games. This one isn't large but is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Arcadia Quest? Children usually love playing with the minis.

For faster, lighter game, wait for Masmorra. It should be available in retail by November, or even maybe sold in Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Waz
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
oldest: Takenoko neat little Japanese panda bamboo garden themed game

middle: Waimea Wipeout (local surfing game here in Hawaii, has an expansion for Europe)not found on BGG but you can find it on the net

youngest: Wok on Fire cooking with a spatula ingredient flipping mechanic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.