secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was just reading the latest KS update:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/this-war-o...
(Note all the changes explained in the Update too!)

And I am just absolutely dismayed at how poorly written is the Update. These are not just typos or misspellings--it's actually bad English. The Update sounds like it was written and translated by a non-English speaker. Obvious clues are missing and misused articles, run-on sentences, and even starting quote marks that appear at the bottom of the line.

Some may say these Updates are only casual communications so it doesn't matter, but the bad grammar allowed in a public announcement creates a negative impression of what can be expected. This is not encouraging and extremely worrisome for a game that is supposet to be so dependent on a text-heavy, scripted scenario book.

The Update says that the rules are finished yet we still have not made it available for review. I sincerely hope the Update writer isn't the person writing the manuals and card text, and that they better get an English speaker to write and edit everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game makers are Polish people, and like you said, it was (probably) written and translated by a non-native English speaker. I think they explained in an other update how hard they worked, so I figure this guy just wanted to give the KS'ers an update while being exhausted.
Personnally, I don't care whatsoever about the mistakes in updates. I don't really see it as official communication. It's more like patch notes for a game. Who cares.
They are an amazing company and have my full trust. Even English native speakers who create rulebooks, should let their rules be corrected by a professional editor, so I'm sure they will as well.

Hope that gives you some nuance?

Grts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
You both have good points there.

I've just received a large game that was funded on Kickstarter and was made by a Spanish designer. The updates were always in poor English and, true to say, so is the rule book. However, it is not impossible to understand (and the game looks great all the same). With that game, I personally don't mind because I admire the work that went into it from someone who has English as a second language and it gives it a personal touch. But on the other hand, when it comes to "This War of Mine", as you say, it is a text-based game and I understand the concern.

Well, let's hope we can view the rule book soon. If the English is shocking and enough people make noise about it, they'll need to sort that out. Then again, they might have great editors at work. I'm sure there are plenty of backers who would volunteer to work with them on the text. What's the English like in the video game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziemek
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@secoAce Mybe you should leave your comment on kickstrter, not on BGG? How do you think, whats the best place to complain? They even may not reading BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have played and enjoyed the PC game without incident, so I have little concern that the board game will receive the same amount of care and attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above. It was an informal update. The rules and story should be written and edited well. Furthermore the update was an old draft that got uploaded by mistake. Below is their content on it.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just a small clarification regarding the spelling mistakes - we actually have a proof reader, but we have uploaded old version by mistake, hence all the small mistakes all over the place.

We have Edited most of it, but emails were already sent.

Sorry for the trouble and it is definitely not how the game proof reading will work There are professionals waiting to do their job there, so don't worry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious about getting the game now, using the "Late pledge" option, but I wanted to be sure about what exactly I'd get. It says I'd get the Core game and all Stretch goals, but does that include the expansions too, or just the additionnal material in the core box ?

I read the kickstarter page, but couldn't get a definitive answer, and I just wanted to be sure laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
I was curious about getting the game now, using the "Late pledge" option, but I wanted to be sure about what exactly I'd get. It says I'd get the Core game and all Stretch goals, but does that include the expansions too, or just the additionnal material in the core box ?

I read the kickstarter page, but couldn't get a definitive answer, and I just wanted to be sure laugh

It's actually pretty easy to figure out what stuff is included as stretch goals

It's all the stuff underneath the big heading that says "Stretch Goals", down to and including the "Heart of the City" (the big angel statue).

All the other stuff is Addons, and you have to pay extra to get that stuff if you want it. That includes the expansions called Incidents and Memories.

I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
Eawyne wrote:

It's actually pretty easy to figure out what stuff is included as stretch goals

It's all the stuff underneath the big heading that says "Stretch Goals", down to and including the "Heart of the City" (the big angel statue).

All the other stuff is Addons, and you have to pay extra to get that stuff if you want it. That includes the expansions called Incidents and Memories.

I hope that helps!

Ho my, I thought I had edited that message out surprise Just a few moments after I posted this, I realised the product page could be scrolled down So I could indeed see all there was (which prompted my credit card to jump out of my wallet).

Thanks anyways for your help laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Wiśniewski
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Dear secoAce and all other concerned backers,

This is Jakub Wiśniewski - co-author of the game. First of all, I would like to address some of your concerns about the quality of English in This War Of Mine: The Board Game.

Now, I know that not all of you may know (and probably it isn’t obvious), but the authors of the game (myself and Michał Oracz) are not a part of Awaken Realms - our publisher for Kickstarter. This is important because I am the person responsible for writing the Book of Scripts as well as for making sure that the language in the game is as good as it should be.

Why am I the person responsible for this? I am a Polish-English/English-Polish translator with almost ten years' experience. I have worked as a localization manager for a major mobile game company, overseeing the localization of their biggest title into 7 languages. I also have 4 years' experience as a book publisher and head of a translation department (6 person team – 3 translators, 2 editors and 1 native speaker).

I often work with my former teacher from the University of Wrocław, who is a native speaker with over twenty years' experience as a proofreader in various industries (he will be among the few native speakers who will proofread the game's text before it goes to print).

Please don’t draw a connection between the language that you see in the updates and the language that will be delivered to you in the final product.

Awaken Realms is our Kickstarter publisher and a very good one at that. Yes, it is true they should perhaps hire some editors but that is not really up to me.

I hope I was able to calm your nerves a bit ;-)

Now, please forgive me as Michał and I still have a lot of work to do on the game.

Best regards and thank you for your support and engagement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
Hey guys,

Just a few words from us as well

It is just as you have thought - we are putting a lot into the game and more often than not updates are written in only free spot (usually late at Sunday), after long time in work.

Usually we put it through double read, but last update was by mistake put in original, "first' version.

As Jakob said - quality of the language in update have NOTHING to do with the quality of the translation in the final game. In updates we are doing them by ourselves to bring community up to date as soon as possible - in game, there will be professionals taking care of everything.

Best
Awaken Realms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for chiming in on the subject Jakub. Always nice to see comments from the designers here on BGG. Definitely shows your pride in your product and your gratitude to your fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fitz Rurisk
France
flag msg tools
badge
Le gras, c'est la vie.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for all this guys, you're displaying a very passionate image about your game and I must say I'm very impressed, and I don't think I'm the only one here !

The game is being translated to 5 languages and this is - obviously - a major concern, not only for the English speaking guys but for all the other ones as well, so thank you again for addressing this !

I must say the video game narration was perfect (as was the gameplay, but that's another story ;) so I'm not afraid anyway !

Keep up the hard (and good) work !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
Alkmaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmair62 wrote:
Thanks for chiming in on the subject Jakub. Always nice to see comments from the designers here on BGG. Definitely shows your pride in your product and your gratitude to your fans.

I could not say it any better and I wholeheartedly agree! Looking forward to the day that This War of Mine arrives at my doorstep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit that I didn't pay that much attention to the game before. But after playing the PC version a bit again, I stumbled upon the game page here on BGG, and noticed something that eluded me before : Michał Oracz was involved !

So I insta-bought the late-kickstarter option, with the two "flavor" expansions to boot. All this "writing quality" didn't even concerne me, as it was just an update post by people who are not primarly english-speaking, but certainly good game designers, and people I trust to completely certify the quality of their game, whatever the version laugh

As it turned out, it was only a little mishap, and now, I'm in the "I can't wait to be in february" wagon. And I'm gonna keep an eye on anything you fine people might be posting from now on !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Wiśniewski
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I thought you guys might enjoy reading this update, so in case you've missed it:

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jakuwis wrote:
I thought you guys might enjoy reading this update, so in case you've missed it:

Cheers!

Jakub, this update was too well written! People only care when something is wrong (kidding of course). Nice update, and very moving story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jakuwis wrote:

Cheers!

I'm both excited and a bit afraid to get this game home ^^' I did know what I was buying, and so did my wife - as she's seen me play the video game - but I think it will be a different matter when she plays it, with the narrative, the decisions to make with others. I know it will have some impact on her, but I sure do hope it will have the right kind of impact. She's been focused on some dark thoughts these months, and strangely enough, I really do think the game might offer some deeper insight on human behaviour (especially when I read the comment of one named Dino Đorić in the comments on your link), if the narrative and scripts can convey what kind of good can arise even in the direst of situations.

Sounds way too dramatic laugh But on the other hand, gaming and culture are so entertwined at home that is doesn't sound that silly from here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, I am more afraid of the game is filling with errata and logical (story) issue.

As we can understand, it is more like the self-guide adventure book, a few mistakes inside those 1000+ paragraphs will be able to kill the story and ruin the game play experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jakuwis wrote:

Cheers!

Shows how fortunate I am that I only see things like this on TV, I can't possibly understand the feelings or relate to it but have sympathy for those who have had it impact their lives, truly harrowing.

With regards to this thread, I've voiced numerous concerns (and still have them) about the co-op aspect of this game, but what I have absolutely no concerns about at all is the story and narrative you will create, I know that part will be top drawer. And getting concerned about some spelling mistakes in an early draft? Come on people, cut them a little slack! And this coming from a man whose been waiting a week for a response to his email asking for a refund on the additional furniture set - don't think I'm not going to keep asking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.