Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of clarifications regarding the draft version of these cards, as shown here (Offshore) and here (Printshop).

Offshore Account reads:
Add a "1" coin for every "5" it has. Then add a "5" coin for every "25" it has.
Also:
You may not remove coins until game end.

Question: are players permitted to make change? Consolidating "1" coins into "5" coins speeds the rate of return, so people want to do it. Their justification is that they are not taking money from the card, and it is handy to have "1" coins back in circulation.
It is also (a little) jarring that the instruction is printed in the space used for flavour text on other cards (not a problem, just an observation).

+

Printshop reads:
Lose 25 coins, or all remaining coins
Whichever is higher? Lower? Player choice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
The text in the flavour space is intended to be helpful rather than definitive - the rule box has the only rules that must be adhered to. I can reword or change the style if this is causing confusion?

Players can store the coins in the Offshore Account in any form that works for them - the most compact form will allow the token-matching method of calculating interest. The coins are deliberately multiples of 5 to allow this calculation without any actual maths taking place. If you prefer to calculate 20% in your head or via a calculator app, that's fine too.

I see the possible confusion with the "remove" rule and the idea of making change - would a reword to "spend" or "use" clear that up? Any cases you can think of that aren't covered by that change?

For the Printshop, the intention is that the player gain 25 and lose 25, with the caveat that if they have less than 25 then they lose only whatever they have left. For the sake of the artwork, brevity was a goal, and I didn't anticipate anyone would want to lose more coins than necessary I'm happy to discuss alternatives which remove these questions though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a person already has an offshore account then are they not allowed to build the Print shop?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
If a person already has an offshore account then are they not allowed to build the Print shop?

Yes, these cards are mutually exclusive.

EDIT: See Joel's reply, a couple of posts below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joel-

Taking them in reverse order-

Printshop:
It occurred to me that there could be events that affect players based on their cash in hand. Someone might want to lose more than $25, just to affect the outcome. For instance, if the wealthiest player has to give half their cash to the poorest, you might want to be broke just as that is resolved!

So if there is no reason it has to be one way or the other, I would reword to give players complete freedom:

Lose 25 coins, or all remaining coins, whichever you prefer.

Offshore:
I think I would simply remove the flavour text. Otherwise there is a risk that someone will insist that absurd numbers of $1 coins don't earn interest.

Maybe replace it with:

Good to see you again, Mr Dark

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:

You can own an Offshore Account, you simply can't use it while the Printshop is open. If the Printshop were to close, its rule is no longer in force, and at that time you could use the Offshore Account.

Since the Printshop doesn't pay when it's closed, you wouldn't be able to abuse its power to feed the Offshore Account though, so there's no giant cash combo strategy to be had there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.