Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it stated in several places that mines and anti-tank units are a great defensive combination. But I can't work out why: since mines negate armour shifts, what extra benefit does the anti-tank unit give? I must be missing something very obvious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
myrmex wrote:
I've seen it stated in several places that mines and anti-tank units are a great defensive combination. But I can't work out why: since mines negate armour shifts, what extra benefit does the anti-tank unit give? I must be missing something very obvious!

Do I really answer the question, or let you have all the fun of discovering it?

Think about it some more... I'll explain it when I'm back home later today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I'm still waiting for my "Doh!" moment. Jeez, is it that obvious??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
myrmex wrote:
Nope, I'm still waiting for my "Doh!" moment. Jeez, is it that obvious??

Ok I am back home.

Anti-Tnak guns are very nice to have on Minefields as they negate all Armour values.

But you'll say to me: Mines already negate all armour values! The Mine counters indeed represent already a good number of emplaced anti-tank guns, fortifications, garrisons, etc... Heck, 90% of the mines in the North African Campaign were anti-tank mines.

BUT, anti-tank units are nice to have on mine counters because if the enemy uses the ploy of putting Tank units under Counterblow markers adjacent to the said mines in your turn, forcing you to attack back: when you do the AT units will negate the defensive shifts of the enemy Armor, helping you avoid a "CA" or "CB" result. A very good way of bolstering the Infantry units defending on those positions.

They are also good to have in there if the Mine is flipped to a Box, of course, as the box does not negate the Mechanized shifts.

So while these At-units are protecting your Mines and Infantry very effectively, your Panzers are free to do their stuff elsewhere on the Front line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
SO let me get this straight.. (and back to Tobruk)

Regular attack into Tobruk - there are no Armor shifts.

IF the Axis places CB markers, then the Armor shifts come back into play (assuming there's no other Armor shift cancelling event taking place (mines, AT units, terrain). Then of course, if the Axis has AT guns, it would cancel the Allied Armor shifts and keep the Axis shifts intact.

Starting to wonder how the Allies would ever hold Tobruk. Now I pay no attention to Malta supply limits as I've not seen it comes into play very often, so stopped working on strategies around limiting Axis supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

I agree about Malta. Rarely any help to the allies in games I play no matter how hard I try, so the axis has excellent supply pretty much all the time, which in turn makes holding Tobruk very tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.