Bartłomiej Kordowski
Poland
Toruń
flag msg tools
designer
mb

Hi,

Can anyone solve this situation?
In actual move Neojungle put a unit (red frame). I think that Mephisto's HQ lose Net ability, is that good interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Wątorski
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koomote wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone solve this situation?
In actual move Neojungle put a unit (red frame). I think that Mephisto's HQ lose Net ability, is that good interpretation?

I'm almost sure the Neojungle's Net Fighter will just be netted by the Mephisto's HQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an analogue of a well-known NSHex paradox - three net fighters making a "net circle" by netting each other. Depending on which unit we start our calculation from, we get different results or end up in a loop.

The solution to the aforementioned paradox is - the net fighters are not netting themselves, the nets that they have are "disabled" for as long as the situation stays. But all of their other abilities, meaning, any possible attacks, abilities, including nets in other directions - these stay.

So - my interpretation of this situation is, the Neojungle net fighter is not under a net, the Incubator is not under a net and Mephisto still nets the two other directions it targets with its attacks, meaning, the HQ is under a net and Motherland no longer works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Leroux
Canada
flag msg tools
Since Neojungle is not netting an actual Net unit, but a module that grants Net, I would say that Mephisto is netting the neojungle units unimpeded; The mephisto implant would remain free and the neojungle net fighter and HQ are caught. I could be wrong, but that would be my interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Since Neojungle is not netting an actual Net unit, but a module that grants Net, I would say that Mephisto is netting the neojungle units unimpeded; The mephisto implant would remain free and the neojungle net fighter and HQ are caught. I could be wrong, but that would be my interpretation.

The general way of checking whether a net paradox occurs is checking whether the results are consistent, meaning no contradictions (or loops) - and this theorem has to hold even when starting your computation from different tiles.
If you get the same results in each case, meaning, your computation does not contradict itself in any case, then there's no paradox.
If you get different results OR your computation contradicts itself, then there's a paradox.

Let's say there's a trivial variant of that. Netter A has a net at Netter B, who has a net at Netter C, who has a net at Netter A.
Therefore, starting from A, A nets B, so B doesn't net C, so C nets A, so A doesn't net B. Boom, contradiction - there's a paradox.

Now let's discuss the above situation.

1) Let's start computing from Neojungle Net Fighter.
The Net Fighter nets the Incubator, which prevents it from working. Therefore Mephisto does not receive nets, therefore the Net Fighter and the Neojungle HQ are not under a net.
2) Let's start computing from Mephisto.
Mephisto nets the HQ and the Net Fighter, therefore the Net Fighter does not net the Incubator.

Therefore, from these two cases, we get two contradictions - the Incubator is both netted and not netted and the Neojungle HQ and the Net Fighter are both not netted and netted. Boom, contradictions - there's a paradox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Heino
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Off topic comment: I have waited for my favorite army Neojungle to come out as 3.0 version and see it here!?! It is not available in Portal web store as neither English nor Polish version. Is this a French/German version or some other localization? Where can it be acquired?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
i got the polish version on portal's website a while back. maybe they're just temp out of stock on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.