Michela & Dario Basile
Italy
Firenze
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

We feel that sacrificing Indian fakirs is not less disturbing, but a lot less thematic, than sacrificing African slaves. Is there anyone who wants to sell or trade his slave cards?

Or maybe anyone knows if Asmodee has slave cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of us will probably be too happy with an original copy, but I could imagine that some people who are trading their copies away, might reason that fakirs rather than slaves would make their copy more salable.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonton Fred
Belgium
Verviers
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that slaves are only part of the first run of the game. You can know this by looking at the back of the box.

I personally have two copies of the game: one of the first printing (with slaves) and one of the printing that followed (with fakirs). whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They only existed in the first printing of the game and the outcry was bad enough that they made the permanent change. This was long before Asmodee bought them, so it is highly unlikely they have any of those cards anymore.

Since the icons on the genie cards also had to be changed, you would likely have to find someone trading or selling their whole copy. This might be harder to do now as it has been quite some time and most of those owners who were willing to sell or trade have already done so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just print them and put them inside the sleeve cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
bvttero wrote:
Looking for slaves.

Well. There's one of the more "interesting" subject titles I've come across in awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Orazio
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Warning Politically Correct Post Ahead:

They're not African slaves, they're Arab slaves. This game takes place in the middle east and has nothing to do with the African slave trade or with the American South.

Also, there is nothing about "sacrificing" slaves in this game. That is just how a few people chose to perceive it. You could just as easily state that you're freeing slaves while you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michela & Dario Basile
Italy
Firenze
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adamoraz wrote:
Warning Politically Correct Post Ahead:

They're not African slaves, they're Arab slaves. This game takes place in the middle east and has nothing to do with the African slave trade or with the American South.

Also, there is nothing about "sacrificing" slaves in this game. That is just how a few people chose to perceive it. You could just as easily state that you're freeing slaves while you play.

Freeing slaves to obtain favor from Djinns... LOL, it seems like you know absolutely nothing about ancient (pre-Abrahamic) religions in the area. Or maybe this is just how you chose to show it to be.

That said, Five Tribes' setting is clearly pre-Islamic, that is pre-6th century AD. About 1000 years before Columbus - no, it has definitely nothing to do with American South, and it would be interesting to know who thought otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bvttero wrote:
sacrificing Indian fakirs

Why do you think they're being sacrificed? Why aren't they merely employed to help in finding or summoning the Djinn - which is honestly all I've ever assumed is happening?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michela & Dario Basile
Italy
Firenze
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slow Dog wrote:
bvttero wrote:
sacrificing Indian fakirs

Why do you think they're being sacrificed? Why aren't they merely employed to help in finding or summoning the Djinn - which is honestly all I've ever assumed is happening?

We're going completely off topic LOL, I hope admins won't get mad at us.

Many of the Djinns (Baal, Enki, etc...) have the same name and attributes of ancient deities worshipped in the area around Arabia. Later, with the spread of monotheism, those deities were classified as Demons (by the Hebrews, who considered them evil). "Djinn" is the term used in some currents of Islam: they are beings more powerful than men, and generally immortals, but not Gods, so worshipping them is prohibited, even if they are not necessarily evil. A part of the ancient worship of such beings was sacrificing humans to them - when slaves were available, they were often the victims of choice (who would want to kill a son or daughter when he could offer a slave?).

That said, using Fakirs from India to search for them, while historically incorrect, makes perfect sense to me in a fantasy setting, so I'll start thinking that way too. Thanks for the advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a set of slave cards if anyone wants them. Yours if you pay for shipping.

PM me

Edit: they have been claimed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bvttero wrote:

That said, using Fakirs from India to search for them, while historically incorrect, makes perfect sense to me in a fantasy setting

There are/(were) Islamic Fakirs mentioned as holy men in 1001 Nights, and they definitely existed historically. But the picture is of the modern conception of a Hindu Fakir; what's wrong is that depiction. Then again, a medieval Islamic Fakir would be just (visually) a poor beggar, and everyone would be complaining that it's still really a Slave, just without the shackles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michela & Dario Basile
Italy
Firenze
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slow Dog wrote:
bvttero wrote:

That said, using Fakirs from India to search for them, while historically incorrect, makes perfect sense to me in a fantasy setting

There are/(were) Islamic Fakirs mentioned as holy men in 1001 Nights, and they definitely existed historically. But the picture is of the modern conception of a Hindu Fakir; what's wrong is that depiction. Then again, a medieval Islamic Fakir would be just (visually) a poor beggar, and everyone would be complaining that it's still really a Slave, just without the shackles.

Well, they're mystics, not slaves, anyway you're right: I thought Indian Fakirs were Hindu, but I checked and they're indeed Sufis (Muslims) - this brings the game setting around 10th century: still too early for having anything to do with trading slaves with America.

Thanks for the clarification,

Dario Basile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thought 1st edition meant slave cards, but it doesn't - so I'm also looking for the original cards. If anyone has them, pm me please. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel sooooo stupid now! I assumed that after reading the rules and playing the game all this time that slaves were sent to live in the houses/dwellings of these all powerful Djinns. As a thank you for fidning the Djinn a room mate the Djinn returned the kindness by granting you favours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kelso
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here just now to find out if the slave cards were still printed in new copies. I'm pleased to learn that they are not, and so this game is going to the very top of my wishlist. So that's one gained sale because of the switch, anyway. But YMMV, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a new copy not knowing about the controversy, and was confused that the fakirs were there (when the yootoobs I had watched had slaves). Slaves made more sense in the game. I'm also against assassination, but will cheerfully use the red meeples to kill other meeples.

It seems like if this were in an American setting, they can't win -- if they "whitewash" unpleasant subjects like slavery, they're not showing the truth that needs to be constantly brought up and rubbed in our faces. But if they put it in an non-American history, it's somehow expressing approval of slavery?

It seems like a double-standard for any SJW type issue -- bring it up and re-live it endlessly for America, whitewash it in every non-Western setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.